MSE News: Theresa May vows to slash energy bills with standard tariff price cap

Options

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »

A cut of "up to" £100 a year in energy bills is nothing in comparison to the hardship caused by this government.

The trouble is it is a case of Hobson's Choice as to who will govern us until 2022 :(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2017 at 11:41PM
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    No, if it is just Doris and Frank the supplier won't benefit. But multiply the gain by the thousands and millions of customers the supplier has and the figures will become a very significant benefit. Add to that the saving of paperless billing and extracting money from people's accounts electronically rather than handling paper bills and cheques and the benefit will be sufficient to run a very very large RPU.
    Just watch what Theresa May has lined up to prove you wrong once again.The difference between me and Doris paying by cheque and me electronically is nt anywhere near the huge discount I ve been getting over Doris and Kylie the single mum on a prepayment meter which for some reason, and Kylie does not know why, is an Eco 7 meter. You have no idea how cheap I ve been getting my gas and electric last year compared to Doris and Kylie, but I know exactly the difference, because I see the tariffs and billings, and in Kylie s case its probably 80% cheaper for me over her with her prepay.This is wrong, its the same electricity, same standing charges and she s paying so much more.Even the hard bitten business minded Torys have had enough of the inequality.. Time to ditch the deals, and the direct debit bonanza s for us who don t have to worry about going overdrawn. Lets see what the Torys come up with
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To sum up then the energy minister is clueless, Ofgem is involved which ususally leads to disaster and this PM has form for failure and flip flopping.

This doesn't fill me with hope. Whatever way they go about it a reduction will have to be paid for somehow and it will result in the cheaper deals going up somewhat.

I am unclear how this supports competition. If people won't shop around for £300 worth of savings then certainl won't go it for £50.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    she can slash energy bills as well as foxes, incredible 'human'.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    People misunderstanding energy bills and 'sticking' on standard tariffs for fear of messing up will only rise since May is constantly ripping funds out of the education system. Who needs education anyway? It's not like it's the cornerstone of a healthy economy or anything!
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 11:59AM
    Options
    This is wrong, its the same electricity, same standing charges and she s paying so much more.

It's the same electricity, but it was bought at different times. The customer service between companies is different etc. Switching to a fixed tariff is like going long on the stock market. Your argument is like saying that everyone who owns shares on a specific day should pay the same, even if one person bought theirs 20 years ago and one person yesterday. They are after all the same shares.

Vegetables are the same, but cost different amounts if you buy them in various supermarkets, or from market traders as well.
    Even the hard bitten business minded Torys have had enough of the inequality..

They haven't really. They are paying lip service to it as a vote buying tactic, because May is desperate for her hard brexit & ultimate power.
    footyguy wrote: »
    The trouble is it is a case of Hobson's Choice as to who will govern us until 2022 :(

That is what they want you to think. I quite like the idea of the lib dems letting us have a democratic vote over any deal made with the EU. People who are against this are undemocratic as they know that a lot of people were duped into voting to leave & are scared what will happen when the truth comes out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2017 at 7:39AM
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    That is what they want you to think. I quite like the idea of the lib dems letting us have a democratic vote over any deal made with the EU. People who are against this are undemocratic as they know that a lot of people were duped into voting to leave & are scared what will happen when the truth comes out.
    Yep, like the £350/week extra pledged to be spent on the NHS. Theresa Thatcher, oops, I think I mean Margaret May (or is it May Thatcher?), has no intention of honouring that promise.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Theresa May is talking absolute rubbish.

She has no business interfering in the Energy industry and the free market and further more she cant.

Way? Well a lot of our energy is now imported.

Did you know that there are at least two subsea pipelines between mainland Europe and the UK which are used for shipping gas in?

Did you know that we now import huge quantities of liquified natural gas to a terminal at the isle of Grain?

We also have electricity interconnectors to do the same.

Will foregin suppliers bend to Mays wishes and reduce prices?

No they wont so if she is to cap prices for standard rate tarriff customers then the bottom line is, she will make the rest of us pay for it.

If the Conservatives are so keen on interfering with the free market economy which they support, why dont they legislate for the cost of housing,cost of new builds, quality of builds, legislate against land banking and selling properties as freeholds etc??

That is a far more worthy cause.

Tory crooks.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the Conservatives are so keen on interfering with the free market economy which they support, why dont they legislate for the cost of housing,cost of new builds, quality of builds, legislate against land banking and selling properties as freeholds etc??
    Because that might actually help people.

This 'cap' is just a headline grabbing token policy.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If May had instead decided to create a powerful parliamentary committee to get that 70% of standard rate payers drastically down I'd be more impressed. Instead we get a whopping soundbite.

In Thatcher's immortal words, you can't buck the market.

Any plan to intervene in energy pricing with a blunt instrument will end in tears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure