MSE News: Theresa May vows to slash energy bills with standard tariff price cap

in Energy
22 replies 2.3K views
Former_MSE_Steve_1Former_MSE_Steve_1 Former MSE
79 Posts
Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
MSE Staff
Theresa May has pledged to set an absolute energy price cap on standard tariffs, in a move designed to cut gas and electricity bills by up to £100/year for those on the worst deals
Read the full story:
'Theresa May vows to slash energy bills with standard tariff price cap'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• This will end well, not.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Despite the inevitable Tory protestations, this is no more than a reworking of the previous Labour policy they described as 'Marxist'.

Good news for those daft enough to allow themselves to remain on standard tariffs (or unable to switch for other reasons).

Bad news for energy tarts who switch every few months for the best deals. It's been good while it lasted! :)
  • edited 9 May 2017 at 5:55PM
    SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 May 2017 at 5:55PM
    Seventy percent save £100, so the other thirty percent see fixed tariffs rise by over £200. Suppliers lose out: no way.

It doesn't help when the Secretary of State in charge of the UK energy sector has never switched supplier. ML gave him both barrels on the World at One today.:T

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/09/energy-secretary-admits-has-never-switched-suppliers-unveils/
  • IAmWalesIAmWales Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does Theresa May say about the 1,000,000+ emergency food supplies given to those in poverty by the Trussell Trust last year?

A cut of "up to" £100 a year in energy bills is nothing in comparison to the hardship caused by this government.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    IAmWales wrote: »
    What does Theresa May say about the 1,000,000+ emergency food supplies given to those in poverty by the Trussell Trust last year?

A cut of "up to" £100 a year in energy bills is nothing in comparison to the hardship caused by this government.

Too right. Let's not forget how strong and stable it is, though - strong enough to push the disadvantaged into a stable.
  • edited 20 September 2018 at 4:44AM
    BernardMBernardM Forumite
    398 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 20 September 2018 at 4:44AM
  • BernardMBernardM Forumite
    398 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    C81SjNSXUAEwwdW.jpg
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Tories have been driven to it as the headline news lately is that two thirds of consumers are still on standard/variable. If that is the case after all these years of competition then something drastic has to be done.If only the smart alecs like us on here are making a killing with much cheaper energy then maybe its better to share it out more and dump the cheaper yearly fixes or direct debit deals . The suppliers don`t really benefit in the long term from getting my dosh coming in on a monthly credit than Doris and Frank paying by cheque..
  • EachPennyEachPenny Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The suppliers don`t really benefit in the long term from getting my dosh coming in on a monthly credit than Doris and Frank paying by cheque..

No, if it is just Doris and Frank the supplier won't benefit. But multiply the gain by the thousands and millions of customers the supplier has and the figures will become a very significant benefit. Add to that the saving of paperless billing and extracting money from people's accounts electronically rather than handling paper bills and cheques and the benefit will be sufficient to run a very very large RPU.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Well I'll be getting out my shotgun so as to shot down the flying pig as it goes past.

The conservatives got us into this mess in the first place
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News