PIP confusion, advice needed please

Options

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Also, no awards would be made 'indefinitely', I don't think. Certainly not DLA, which I think got renewed every couple of years or so.

DLA did give indefinite awards - my son has one. As a child it was unusual, but not completely unheard of. I have heard of numerous adults with indefinite awards. It did not mean that it would never be reviewed, it meant that there was no date for review but you could be contacted at any time. In reality, only a small amount of people were contacted, and my understanding is that this was a random selection.

PIP, however, does not. Instead, the maximum appears to be an ongoing award, which is reviewed after around ten years.
  • He_Lives_Again
    He_Lives_Again Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    This shows that over a 1/4 of those given zero points win their appeal. Go for it!!!

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2017-04-13/70970
  • itsmeinnit123
    itsmeinnit123 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    When I was initially given DLA back in 1989 it was indefinite, it was reviewed and raised for a time and then back in 2002 returned to low care indefinite

I had similar issues when my incapacity benefit was changed to ESA, I had help from a seriously good adviser for that and everything was reinstated....I still have all my papaerwork, inc medical evidence files etc

The adviser has since passed away so I am at a disadvantage as he knew how to word things well and I don't....not to mention filling paper forms is close to impossible due to arthritic hands and wrists so holding a pen is a nightmare....I depend on the pooter for everything thesedays

The advice regarding certain posters here is taken on board, thank you

Looks like Monday morning I will be on the phone at 08:00 to DWP to get the paperwork sent out to me for appealing cos I have no printer

This is one fight I could definitely do without right now....I have enough on my plate tbh, this was not something I really needed to have to face.....and I am still unsure why they reduced the ESA by £5 and sent that letter in with the PIP one, I thought it was two different benefits
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I was initially given DLA back in 1989 it was indefinite, it was reviewed and raised for a time and then back in 2002 returned to low care indefinite

I had similar issues when my incapacity benefit was changed to ESA, I had help from a seriously good adviser for that and everything was reinstated....I still have all my papaerwork, inc medical evidence files etc

The adviser has since passed away so I am at a disadvantage as he knew how to word things well and I don't....not to mention filling paper forms is close to impossible due to arthritic hands and wrists so holding a pen is a nightmare....I depend on the pooter for everything thesedays

The advice regarding certain posters here is taken on board, thank you

Looks like Monday morning I will be on the phone at 08:00 to DWP to get the paperwork sent out to me for appealing cos I have no printer

This is one fight I could definitely do without right now....I have enough on my plate tbh, this was not something I really needed to have to face.....and I am still unsure why they reduced the ESA by £5 and sent that letter in with the PIP one, I thought it was two different benefits

Does it say anything about why your ESA has reduced by £5?

Seems an odd amount to me and if you were on low care DLA before I cannot see that you would have been awarded any disability premiums (the amounts for these aren't £5 anyway) for them now to take away.

Some possibilities:

Have you had an increase in capital, savings or private pension?

Do you owe a social fund debt and they are making a deduction?

Do you have any other debts that they are taking directly from your benefit?

If the above don't make any sense then when you telephone to ask for a mandatory reconsideration ask them why your ESA has reduced by £5.

Just thought of another one.........

Were you previously on Incapacity Benefit and getting a £5 a week 'transition protection' payment on transfer to ESA?
  • itsmeinnit123
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    [/B]

Does it say anything about why your ESA has reduced by £5?

Seems an odd amount to me and if you were on low care DLA before I cannot see that you would have been awarded any disability premiums (the amounts for these aren't £5 anyway) for them now to take away.

Some possibilities:

Have you had an increase in capital, savings or private pension?

Do you owe a social fund debt and they are making a deduction?

Do you have any other debts that they are taking directly from your benefit?

If the above don't make any sense then when you telephone to ask for a mandatory reconsideration ask them why your ESA has reduced by £5.

Just thought of another one.........

Were you previously on Incapacity Benefit and getting a £5 a week 'transition protection' payment on transfer to ESA?

I am on ESA support group, have been since 2013, I had been on Incap since 1989

When initially shifted from Incap to ESA they placed me on working group and my adviser appealed on my behalf and they moved me to support group

When on Incap I had the extra disability premiums and when I won the ESA appeal they were added to the ESA

My gas & electricity are paid by DWP from my ESA, £22.40 per month but no other bills are paid that way, I pay my council tax and water and phone from the remaining ESA each fortnight

I have never had any social fund claims, tbh I did not think they still existed and I have no savings at all as all my ESA is very carefully budgeted for the bills and groceries (I order online groceries as I am unable to get out the flat or carry shopping.....my job was truck driving and when I had to give up work the DVLA took away my truck, bus, car and motorcycle licences on medical grounds)
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 May 2017 at 5:18PM
    Options
    Have a careful look at the points given for needing aids for the PIP Daily Living Component.

I would have thought that the following might apply:
    1. Preparing food.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.
    This could be a device to help open tins / jars or a perching seat or a walking stick to support you whilst preparing food.

2. Taking nutrition.
    b. Needs –
    (i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to take nutrition; or
    (iii) assistance to be able to cut up food. 2 points.
    This might be adapted cutlery, non-slip tray, and/or non-spilling cups.

3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition.
    b. Needs any one or more of the following –
    (i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage medication; 1 point.
    Adapted packaging to be able to access pills / tablets. Alarm to remember to take medication.

4. Washing and bathing.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe. 2 points.
    Such as your shower seat, and rails in the bath/shower.

5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage toilet needs or incontinence. 2 points.
    This would include the use of rails to get on/off the toilet safely.
    Or the use of an aid to clean behind you (bottom wipers)

6. Dressing and undressing.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress. 2 points.
    Examples would include use of a long handled grabber for socks / shoes / etc, dressing stick,
    leg lifter, elastic shoe laces, sock/stocking/tight aid, zip puller.

9. Engaging with other people face to face.
    b. Needs prompting to be able to engage with other people. 2 points.
    I don't know if this might apply because of your nervousness, anxiety, and difficultly going out?

You can see that these points add up - 8 are needed for a standard Daily Living award.

The reliability criteria is very important. This is nicked from Benefits & Work - " ‘Reliably- the most important PIP word’ above, you should not be considered able to do something if , for example, you aren’t safe doing it or it causes you pain or discomfort or it exhausts you or you’re very slow at doing it."
    The combination of COPD, arthritis, and pain may apply here. (For instance - dressing might take you twice as long because of your conditions).
    (BTW you may consider subscribing to B&W - it's appeal guides are very useful)

Also remember that the test for requiring assistance is whether you need such physical help not whether you actually get this help.

If your are successful in getting DL PIP (and it seems that you should be), then an award could bring additional premiums to your ESA payments. Possibly SDP - see http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium.

If you can, I think it is a good idea to briefly write (or type a letter) to the DWP asking for a MR.
    Keep a copy and get proof of posting - this way you will have evidence of requesting it.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am on ESA support group, have been since 2013, I had been on Incap since 1989

When initially shifted from Incap to ESA they placed me on working group and my adviser appealed on my behalf and they moved me to support group

When on Incap I had the extra disability premiums and when I won the ESA appeal they were added to the ESA

My gas & electricity are paid by DWP from my ESA, £22.40 per month but no other bills are paid that way, I pay my council tax and water and phone from the remaining ESA each fortnight

I have never had any social fund claims, tbh I did not think they still existed and I have no savings at all as all my ESA is very carefully budgeted for the bills and groceries (I order online groceries as I am unable to get out the flat or carry shopping.....my job was truck driving and when I had to give up work the DVLA took away my truck, bus, car and motorcycle licences on medical grounds)

Not sure why this is being deducted.

Best thing is to ask.

Please let us know their answer!
  • itsmeinnit123
    Options
    I live in a groun floor council flat with emergency call system installed...due to past falls/blackouts

The bathroom has grabrails around the bath (shower over bath), shower seat inside the bath, step to help get over the side of the bath and a raised seat for the loo....there is a design/layout issue with the bathroom, I will try to explain...

The bathroom is very small, approx 6ft wide by 7ft long, as you go through the door the bath is the full length of the wall to your right and the loo is facing you and tween the loo and the door is a handwashing basin (no room for a proper basin), the grabrail for the loo is ontop of the basin and due to being 6ft tall, when the seat addition is in use my knees hit the basin plumbing, its incredibly tight for space

The council refuse to change the bathroom citing cost...I have offered to buy a shower base and basin so they can just supply labour and they still refuse

I have fallen many times getting from shower seat to floor tween basin and bath and hit my head on the basin and/or floor, also the bathroom is unheated so its really difficult to use even for able bodied let alone anyone with disabilities

The kitchen is the same size as the bathroom, I have a washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, microwave and slowcooker....kettle is not used cos I can't carry one or lift it

No room for a perching chair so I lean against the worksurface that faces where I am doing anything

I only use spoons for eating, I would love to eat a roast dinner but have to stick to food that is soft and that will not need cutting, frozen veg or tins only (electric can opener)...fresh meat and veg is hopeless cos I cannot prepare it

I have no cooker, no pans etc since picking up pans and turning knobs/switches is painful

I showed the lady all these things when she came to do the assessment..... :(
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Were you able to overturn their decision?
    No, going the appeal route would have been too much of a struggle on my own.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    If you click on rockingbilly's name you will be able to see his posting history.

This will give you a lot of information about his history as regards his claims for DLA/PIP/AA.

It needs to be stressed that rockingbilly is extremely negative about his situation and only gives his opinion about the system.

This can be very worrying for posters so I would respectfully suggest that you follow the advice of people who have a history of helping people, providing support and information relating to your particular case.

Everybody that claims a benefit has a story to tell of how it went and what they ended up with.
    Mine is much like the OP's so pardon me in saying, is it not right to air my DLA/PIP journey on here?
    Some have a good journey and are awarded what is fair and just, others have an horrific journey and end up with benefits previously awarded being removed.
    I'm not being negative at all - my DLA-PIP journey is itself a negative experience.
    As for the Attendance Allowance situation. I wouldn't say that everything was negative - the fault lies with me on that one in (a) not doing a decent enough job in filling out the claim form and (b) failing to impress on the assessor what my needs are (too positive in my answers to be honest).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure