Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Options

Comments

• miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's a shame - I'm a sole trader and earn around £70 a month using the Amex 1% cashback.
    Just got my letter too.

Probably best not to mention that to them as IIRC there are clauses about business use in the T&Cs, obviously nothing to stop you doing it though and it may not matter now anyway.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A mock up of the original Egg Card is in this article along with some of the earlier history for those wanting some nostalgia:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/8354336/The-history-of-Egg-a-shattering-experience.html
  • nk8
    nk8 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for this thread, had I not read it, I would have never known BC were ending AMEX! I never received the letter. I too have been with them since Egg at the very beginning. Shame because I use my BC AMEX everywhere and love that CostCo accept it here and in US.
  • Deru
    Deru Posts: 621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shame because I use my BC AMEX everywhere and love that CostCo accept it here and in US.

I went to the US last November. Amex ended their deal with Costco in the US so it's no longer accepted there. New partner is Citibank.

Anyway, I lost my Amex counterpart card today and was told over the phone it was being discontinued. Worst still, they cancelled the cards straight away so I lose a month and a bit left of the 1%.

Looking at the bright side, I still have Barclaycard Plat giving 2% for petrol and supermarket plus 0.5% for everything else. Hope that sticks forever...

Also Costco Amex. 3% restaurants, 2% travel operators, 1% everything thing else but that's redeemed as a Costco voucher

Still disappointed about this a Barclaycard thing though. I didn't get any letter. Dude on phone said it was changing to a points system where you earn a voucher?

Others here are saying 0.5%. Just wondering which is right.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,539 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Deru wrote: »
    I went to the US last November. Amex ended their deal with Costco in the US so it's no longer accepted there. New partner is Citibank.

Anyway, I lost my Amex counterpart card today and was told over the phone it was being discontinued. Worst still, they cancelled the cards straight away so I lose a month and a bit left of the 1%.

Looking at the bright side, I still have Barclaycard Plat giving 2% for petrol and supermarket plus 0.5% for everything else. Hope that sticks forever...

Also Costco Amex. 3% restaurants, 2% travel operators, 1% everything thing else but that's redeemed as a Costco voucher

Still disappointed about this a Barclaycard thing though. I didn't get any letter. Dude on phone said it was changing to a points system where you earn a voucher?

Others here are saying 0.5%. Just wondering which is right.
    I also haven't received a letter either, still.

It sounds like the operator was describing Freedom Rewards. In the immediate future, it appears the Visa 0.5% cashback will continue, I wouldn't be surprised to see the cards converted en-masse to Freedom Rewards though.

Freedom Rewards is rubbish - I was converted from that card to the Cashback scheme last year when I rang to cancel. Wont be especially impressive if I end up right back in the same place.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    WillPS wrote: »
    .......::, I wouldn't be surprised to see the cards converted en-masse to Freedom Rewards though.

Freedom Rewards is rubbish - I was converted from that card to the Cashback scheme last year when I rang to cancel. Wont be especially impressive if I end up right back in the same place.

It does indeed look like this is the end to any serious amount of cashback, Amex is still an option, but personally I'll give that 12 months, before we're having the same conversation all over again !
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mau408
    mau408 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Offered £ 50. Any opinions? Push for more, or take it, ?
    Its worth 0.5% cashback on 10,000 spend.

Previous post.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    mau408 wrote: »

Previous post.

You just know that Barclaycard are getting a load of secure messages right now, I'd say accept it - but what do I know lol - I live in the flight delay forums !!!
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,539 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mau408 wrote: »

Previous post.
    I'd take it but then move my Amex spend elsewhere anyway.
  • Money_Rollercoaster
    Options
    I've still not received the letter. I'll likely ditch the card altogether as the 0.5% rate is pretty poor.
    174 BPM >> CC Balance (0%) -£3,565.99 - Target DFD Dec 2017 >> Loan (Car) (3.1%) -£19,803.74 - Target DFD Nov 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure