Central Heating - Cheaper on all the time?

Options
12346»

Comments

• grumpyofwhitecross
    Options
    I was also on and off twice a day...until we had a new condensing boiler fitted. Aug, Sept and Oct showed a drop each month compared to the previous year, according to the EON graph. In November we put it to on 24/7 as my wife is at home and not able to move around much. In December when we checked the graph, we have gone down by 44 % on the gas. My theory is that we warmed the house up during Aug to Oct and are now reaping the benefits.. We will find out when December figures are available in January...
    2010 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    No. That is the temperature of the Hot water for taps - not the hot water in the radiators for central heating.

There is normally a control on the boiler itself(often marked 1 to 6) that controls the temperature of water for the radiators. Having it turned up will heat the house up quicker.

Thanks for that.
    I`ve got the control on the boiler set to the max of number 7.

Lets face it when it`s MINUS whatever outside during the DAY
    it`s cold
    and we are just not used to it in this country.

Having had 20 years of mild winters maybe we`re in for 20 years of hard, feezing ones. :eek:

Wrap up well. :)
  • mikmax
    Options
    I was told by ultrawarm that keeping the hot water on permanent IS cheaper, it's nothing like boiling a kettle as it's not heating up all the time...only when it gets used or gets below the thermo temperature... since turning it on permanent i have been watching it...the only time i have heard it heat up is when i have used it... i have also turned the temp down to 50 and am watching my key meter...so time will tell....
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    mikmax wrote: »
    I was told by ultrawarm that keeping the hot water on permanent IS cheaper, it's nothing like boiling a kettle as it's not heating up all the time...only when it gets used or gets below the thermo temperature... since turning it on permanent i have been watching it...the only time i have heard it heat up is when i have used it... i have also turned the temp down to 50 and am watching my key meter...so time will tell....

Welcome to the forum.

Ultrawarm(whoever they might be) are wrong! or you have misunderstood.

It is exactly the same principle as boiling a kettle. A tank of hot water is like a kettle full of hot water, except the tank only loses heat very slowly.

If you were to go away to Australia for a year and leave your property empty, would you leave the hot water on all year.

If not why not?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't got it on any time at the moment. The boiler has broke and i'm freezing.
    It's insured but i'm out of the house during the day for another week so it's no good phoning to report it. Glad i've got the fire in the lounge.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • caulodren
    Options
    We went on holiday for 1 week once switched off the central heating to save money,, when we got back the central heating didn't work as it had been really cold and had to call council to repair. If its cold put it on for 1 hour a day make sure the pipes don't freeze. I had a newborn baby this year so I had put the heating on all the time, well only the computer system. We used approx 1000 units less then expected. Was worried about the cold if there was a drop overnight while we sleep I'm not risking my babies health just to save a few quid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure