Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You may not be on here very often, but wow! to what you are achieving. Go you guys!
    I'm not sure that coloured text is possible anymore (sad smilie).
    If I try to edit a post, (or even preview before posting), it ends up writing backwards with a capital letter for each word, and upwards! For several posts afterwards too, on whichever thread I'm on. And I can no longer log on from my laptop. So I will try not to edit on your thread!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Not sure about some of the new features at all tbh...
    So all sounding super positive XS. Really well done. Your grocery bill is a marvel...
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2020 at 11:43AM
    Options
    The food budget has gone back to the same ridiculous level this month.  >:) DH has been off his plan and I have been buying too much and not meal planning well or planning and not sticking to it.  I have also slipped back into buying too many snacks.  The 2 freezers are full.  Alcohol spending is a quarter of what it was but household and toiletry spend has been higher than usual and I have run out of DW tablets so will go up a bit more unless someone can suggest an alternative so I don't have to buy any until the weekend.  Only got one left and are the type you can't chop in half.

DH thinks it's me that spends too much and as I do the shopping I suppose he is right although I made the mistake of taking him and DS to Aldi with me at the weekend and they added things I would never have bought like £9 on flowers, £5 on a plant and £4 on a family size ready meal of DS favorite (to split into 3) that I knew he wouldn't like as he likes my HM version.  DH has said he would like to spend less on food so that we can have a meal out once or twice a month (local pub, happy hour pizza in the village, reasonable price if we don't buy alcohol) so I am going to review the meal planning and try a different approach including using up what we have in the freezers.  DH is also back on the boot camp plan for 6 weeks (another £84 not budgeted for) and we both have a weight loss goal for our Easter holiday.  DS is giving up sweets and puddings for lent so less temptation in the house too  <3

The knock on effect of this overspending is that we were unable to put anything away out of my bonus towards our holiday spending money as planned and will now need to cover it from March and April pay.  It's a week self catering in a caravan so shouldn't need a huge amount as we make use of our NT membership and the pool on site but we do like to eat out a couple of times, have fish and chips one night and a GF cream tea one lunch time for me  ;)  I will be taking a meal from home to warm up up the first night and will not do a full shop when we get there as we have done this in the past and not everything has been eaten and has been left or carted back home.

A couple of balance adjustments, a small over payment and normal monthly payments will help us reach £1600 paid off the debt in Jan and Feb.  However,  I have completed my self assessment and I have to pay back all of the child benefit from 18/19 (£1100) and have no way to pay for it other than a cash draw down on a CC at 0%.  This is due before 6th April and I can't see anywhere on the site that says you can arrange a payment plan, I will need to call them.  I only became aware late last year that I had to repay this and have already paid back £1000 for previous years on a CC and don't want to add this to the debt although it will be a debt and increase my overall balance I suppose until it is paid off.  I will have a bill next year too but it won't be as bad as 18/19.  

The replacement element has not fixed our cooker which only has one heat (nuclear) and needs to be replaced.  I have nothing left in the EF and will wait until I know what our income is for March to see if it is possible to cash flow a new oven.  I have seen one for £300 that would fit (double oven to go in existing unit), it is free delivery and as it is electric no fitting cost to cover as it plugs in like a toaster.  

I have reviewing our finances for the next few months and couldn't see why we are so skint and unable to put money aside to build the EF back up or clear the 2 small debts that cost £120/month and total just over £1300.  It finally dawned on me that we have been paying £500 towards our 2 holidays this year.  One is now paid off and the other, our big holiday, is £345/month until October.  We should still have over £500/month after all bills, the holiday payment and living expenses every month, to go towards debt OP/EF/holiday spending/other savings/fun.  We need to get tighter control on the budget and stop overspending on food.  I am hoping that my new tax code will give us a little bit extra too as my car tax should be lower even after the April changes.

I have asked DH to sit down with me to go over the budget for March once we know our income so that we can both be on the same page and make sure we have covered everything that is coming up in March and have no nasty surprises.

Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    I presume you are all au fait with paying into pensions which has the effect of reducing your pay to get under the child benefit threshold?

I do see you doing what you describe above sometimes - you go through several months of being super frugal and then it resembles my complacency filter where I stop being so observant and it goes a bit wrong for a while. I don't want it to sound like I am having a go, because I am not - I am pointing it out because you have to address this - one option is to build in the little treats and keep a record of them so you don't keep treating yourselves (eg the one or two meals out become one or two a week) - and cut yourselves a little more slack so you don't have a rebellious month where it all goes wrong.

Regarding your grocery shopping, maybe abandon the same day a week approach. I regularly have a freezer week so I try to save a week a month's grocery money - and you could try the list thing where you only write down the things you are desperate for on the actual shopping list, and have a second "if it is on offer" list to restock.

I use Morrisons Savers DW tabs - £2 for 40 and if they are running out before pay day I wash up by hand. They are pressed powder so you could cut them up too, but I don't - I occasionally leave the DW two days (I know, slovenly!) too.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow XS you have a lot to tackle there. But you seem to have a handle on it all. 
    SL Not slovenly at all! It's very green to only run the dishwasher when it's full. 
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    That sounds so much more focused. You are being very honest with yourself in this post. I am just like you for overbuying - only I throw little away. I seem to prefer to hoard it. Two fish fingers dated 2014 actually made it from the freezer to the bin this week!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From 2014 :wink:  :p that’s fabulous!!! Not sure I can stretch that far but some HM jam in our cupboard is definitely 10+ years old..
    Groceries are our downfall too. 5 of us at the moment but £800 last month and that doesn’t include booze or toiletries but did include some cat food. Shocking stuff.
    Us having a very carnivore lodger doesn’t help. My latest is to try and be vegan before 6pm every day. More plants and less meat and diary. It'll be cheaper too. I am also travelling less which always reduces my food bill.
    I do need a kick up the pants about this so happy to support XS and friends and try and change our habits together!! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback