• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a great weekend, chin up!!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    The ceiling has come down in the big bay window. It appears it has been badly bowed since before the windows were put in by the previous owners as the upvc trim is shaped around the bowed bit. Our heavy velvet curtains have finished it off.

DH received a new tax code this month and has hardly paid any tax (backdated adjustment) so we have extra funds to add to the EF, it’s like he got a double bonus :D.

Two completely contrasting ends of the pendulum swing :eek: to curtains contributing (better to know what you are dealing with though) and :T to the tax code being resolved
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    I spoke to a senior colleague yesterday who advised if I get the job with the interview and they win the contract I can choose which one I want. That would be a good place to be in and I know which one I would go for. This is the 2nd Christmas in a row I have had redundancy hanging over my head :(

Budgets looking OK, waiting impatiently for my payslip to show online so I can finish next month's budget. We should have enough to cover the rest of Christmas and the ceiling repair and still be able to add to the EF.

I still have £8 odd left in my food budget which is a miracle as this is the area in which we always overspend. It has been helped by stocking up last month and we have bought less booze. A friend who works at Mr L has offered us their staff discount which will cover the majority of the drink for Christmas visitors and I will stock up on some GF bread, cereal and pasta. The freezers are looking emptier but would like to clear most of the big one to use for Christmas and some Vegan batch cooking :)

DH would like to try going vegan for 4 days each week (Mon to Thurs). He wants to see if it helps his asthma and I would like to eat more nutritionally dense food. I was veggie for 25 years and even DH ate mainly veggie food. Even now I would choose a veggie option if it was GF so it's not too much of a stretch. If I lose a few pounds too that will be a bonus but isn't the main focus of this change.

DH asked for soup for dinner last night :eek: and we were stuffed after a bowl and a cheese scone each. The soup was half spinach and bacon and half broccoli and basil from the freezer as I defrosted 3 small pots with green stuff in and they didn't match! Will do a soup night once a week from now on which can be one of the vegan meals (without the cheese and egg in the scone and the bacon in the soup ;)).

I have rejoined Coeliac UK at £24 a year mainly to get access to their food checker app as I do not think I have been as vigilant with checking for 'may contain' items which may be contributing to the feeling rubbish.

I still have a few small presents to buy for Christmas, some are sitting in my amaz0n basket awaiting pay day. I have some Argos vouchers from Shop n Scan due to arrive this week which will pay for DS lego set, DH has offered to trade in some of his games to cover the cost of a switch game for DS and that will be him done. I have £25 Sainsburys vouchers from work towards either Christmas food or to help with the January squeeze/no job but I wont get them until mid December. I also have 2 £8 off £40 vouchers for Mr T to use over the next 2 weeks.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    Options
    I knew I had something else to add.....

DH phone contract runs out next month. He has £26 left to pay for the phone which we will pay on payday and then he is going SIM only. I've found a cracking deal on MSE, better than he has now. This will save us £50/month. :D

We have reduced our outgoings by £300/month since July and if I can keep our food spends down to £100/week we can add another £100 to that.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    well done on the killers tix!

im also going - riverside stadium!

was very stressful getting tix, and i ended up with 2 lots of two in the end (better seating when i went on again). first gig ive been to, and i dunno if you can sell them on (or do they wanna see ID / proof who bought them on the day?) who knows, but my bank account is feeling the loss at the moment lol £440! (for all 4, 2 of which i hope to sell on / dispose of somehow)

but i cant wait!!
  • XSpender
    Options
    db2016 wrote: »
    well done on the killers tix!

im also going - riverside stadium!

was very stressful getting tix, and i ended up with 2 lots of two in the end (better seating when i went on again). first gig ive been to, and i dunno if you can sell them on (or do they wanna see ID / proof who bought them on the day?) who knows, but my bank account is feeling the loss at the moment lol £440! (for all 4, 2 of which i hope to sell on / dispose of somehow)

but i cant wait!!

We are going to the Riverside too :D DH booked ours on the Wednesday as he got early access due to registering with their site in the summer.

It's a great concert to start with, mine was Imagination 35 years ago :rotfl:

I am sure you will be able to sell the tickets for face value as it is sold out everywhere. I have never been asked to produce ID/proof of purchase at a gig yet and we have been to at least one every year for the last few years. I bought Muf0rd & S0ns tickets off my nephew recently and never had a problem using them.

We have had to prepay for a hotel too which added another £145 to the cost :eek: and its only a premier inn.

This will be my 10 year old's 1st concert, he is a really into his music. I can't wait to see his face on Christmas morning when he unwraps a K1llers t shirt and the ticket confirmation drops out :rotfl:
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »

I have rejoined Coeliac UK at £24 a year mainly to get access to their food checker app as I do not think I have been as vigilant with checking for 'may contain' items which may be contributing to the feeling rubbish.

Good move. It's not just the immediate reaction, but the ongoing internal inflammation.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    We have sadly given up going to live music concerts because of people in front obscuring our view with their phones or tablets. There is just no pleasure in watching a concert through someone else's 4 inch screen. It used to be about the experience and being there but everyone seems to feel the need to record it - just watch it for goodness sake. So we said we would just not go any more as it had become more about the annoying phones than the event itself.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    Options
    We have sadly given up going to live music concerts because of people in front obscuring our view with their phones or tablets. There is just no pleasure in watching a concert through someone else's 4 inch screen. It used to be about the experience and being there but everyone seems to feel the need to record it - just watch it for goodness sake. So we said we would just not go any more as it had become more about the annoying phones than the event itself.

It has become a bit of a problem. I wonder how many of them ever watch it back once they have loaded it on to social media. Some artists at asking fans not to get their phones out until the last couple of songs at the end or if they must film to put the phone at the side of their head so that they can still engage with the band/singer.

We went to see the Foos a few years back and the woman in front watched the entire concert through her iPad and I had to make a conscious effort to look past the phones when a band we saw this year sang the song I had waited all night to hear.
  • XSpender
    Options
    DH has been paid and my payslip is showing so I have done the budget for December. I am going to ask DH to go through the budget with me at the weekend so he can see what we have to spend where.

Today will be a spend day as we are out of milk and bread so will do the week's shop a day early and have ordered what I had sat ready in my Amaz0n basket.

Tomorrow will be a very spendy day as I will be going to the shopping centre to take back the ladies jarmas that turned up instead of the dressing gown I ordered for DH and a cushion I bought that doesn't suit our living room. I will also visit H&M to buy some clothes for DS who has requested some for Christmas and the last couple of gifts for family. I am hoping my Arg0s vouchers turn up so I can get DS last gift too.

My postponed interview has been rearranged for the end of next week.

I was hoping to get lots done work and home wise this week as I have been WFH all week but have been struck down by a nasty cough and cold. Feeling a bit more alive today after slathering myself in vics last night so hopefully will be fit and well for the weekend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family