PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on shared ex council tenament electric bill

Hi,

Not sure if this is right place to post. So I rent out my flat in Scotland. I went to visit it and noticed quite a few letter from Npower and debt agencies about unpaid electricity bills for the common stairwell which is shared between 3 flats.

Now I have had the worst experience with Npower before and thought I never had to deal with them again but alas.

So the letters were address to the wrong flat but had my maiden name on all of them with other random names I don't recognise. Npower set up an account in my name, without my knowledge and permission and then tried to make me foot the bill for electricity in stairwell for all 3 flats. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near my old flat and I don't know my neighbours but surely Npower had no right to open an account in my name without my permission (or knowledge) and then pass onto debt collectors and possibly have a default on my credit? The letter were very threatening with one titled 'right to enter your home'

They keep saying someone needs to pay the bill. I asked who paid bill prior to this one (I lived there from 2005 to 2012 and never had a request to pay stairwell electricity) so where has the request come from now? They can't trace who paid for it before! The stairwell lights aren't even working and I looked at the small print on back of letter that if bill isn't paid they will cut off electricity but they haven't done this in the 5 years they've been trying to get a bill paid. So I should mention my flat is an ex council rename to flat. The flat above is private also but not sure about the flat below.

I'm not sure what to do or where to go from here with them. I've lodged an official complaint with them so waiting to hear back. Just wondering what I should really do.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Is or was the council the factor?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In England, the freeholder (or their management company) would be responsible for paying, and collecting the cost from each flat-owner.

In Scotland I believe you have Factors yes?

Surely if this is your flat you know what the arragements are for maintenance of common/shared parts?

As for your name being on the bill, we can't possibly know hoe this arose:
    * you gave them your name and forgot?
    * someone else gave them your name?
    * they researched who owns the flats and in desperation to get someone to take responsbility used your name?

But this does not seem the central issue, which is to get the accounts onto the proper footing with contributions being made buy all those jointly liable.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Leaving aside any customer care issues you have with npower, if the stair lights are on their own meter then the flat owners need to pay the bill. Is there a meter?
  • Mrsmcd
    Mrsmcd Posts: 5 Forumite
    So I will double check my deeds.

When I bought my flat there was nothing in place about paying the stairwell lighting bill. I never got a bill. I got bills from council to do other repairs etc but never an electric bill. When I moved in 2005 2 of the flats were still council owned.

I can only assume the council is the factor as they issue me bills for any repair work. We don't have a private factor.

The issue is not the bill itself, told Npower if I am due to pay my share I will do so, the issue I have is that Npower Took it upon themselves to issue me the bill for the 3 flats not to the correct address and with another person's name who I don't know.

From what I can gather the two other flats aren't aware as the bills keep coming in my name so they keep posting it through my old letter box and tenant keeps them until someone (myself or agent) collects them.

I asked Npower to issue my 1/3 share and they said they couldn't split a bill.

This is where I'm not sure what to do. Should I contact council and ask them for advice?
  • Mrsmcd
    Ps it is on own meter Npower told me. :cool:
  • Mrsmcd
    Can only assume council as they have issued me repair bills.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mrsmcd wrote: »
    Ps it is on own meter Npower told me. :cool:

And has anyone ever seen this meter? Do Npower think they've been reading it? Seems unusual to me for a council block to have a meter at all.

If the council are factors I would ask them what they think should be happening with the stair lighting power.
  • Mrsmcd
    Thank you. I will call council on Tuesday and ask them. N power told me there were 4 meters. 1 for each flat and 1 for stairwell. I've never seen the meter and couldn't tell you where it is but I haven't lived there for nearly 4 years and because never issued a bill before I've never needed to know.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mrsmcd wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if this is right place to post. So I rent out my flat in Scotland. I went to visit it and noticed quite a few letter from Npower and debt agencies about unpaid electricity bills for the common stairwell which is shared between 3 flats.

Now I have had the worst experience with Npower before and thought I never had to deal with them again but alas.

So the letters were address to the wrong flat but had my maiden name on all of them with other random names I don't recognise. Npower set up an account in my name, without my knowledge and permission and then tried to make me foot the bill for electricity in stairwell for all 3 flats. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near my old flat and I don't know my neighbours but surely Npower had no right to open an account in my name without my permission (or knowledge) and then pass onto debt collectors and possibly have a default on my credit? The letter were very threatening with one titled 'right to enter your home'

They keep saying someone needs to pay the bill. I asked who paid bill prior to this one (I lived there from 2005 to 2012 and never had a request to pay stairwell electricity) so where has the request come from now? They can't trace who paid for it before! The stairwell lights aren't even working and I looked at the small print on back of letter that if bill isn't paid they will cut off electricity but they haven't done this in the 5 years they've been trying to get a bill paid. So I should mention my flat is an ex council rename to flat. The flat above is private also but not sure about the flat below.

I'm not sure what to do or where to go from here with them. I've lodged an official complaint with them so waiting to hear back. Just wondering what I should really do.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi Mrsmcd,

I'm sorry to learn of your experience. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you require our help looking into this matter.

Thanks

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Read the Title documents to the flat. There will be something in there about any liability you have to the council. After all, it's on that basis, surely, that you accept and pay bills from them for maintenance!

So re-read that and see is electricity is mentioned.

I imagine the meter for the common parts is next to/near your own meter - surely you know where that is.......?

You need to get this sorted - a s a landlord you are obligated not to put your tenat at risk eg by leaving the common areas in darkness due to failure to pay the bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure