USB to ethernet converter/Ethernet splitters to connect hardware with no RJ45 socket?

Options
Hi!

Anyone used these? As on previous posts looking for a decent 4K Android streamer-Xiaomi Mi Android Box is great value-reccomended on many, many sites-but wireless only-has a USB though.

Anyone any ideas if much connection lost by using these? At least it'll be more stable than my crap WiFi lol (!).

Also receiving a free powerline from BT-not with socket for electric plugs (not passthrough)-would an ethernet splitter (good old Ebay/Amazon!) degrade signal/connection:beer: hugely? PC connected for this is a tower unit-mainly used for surfing/e-mailing/sometimes downloading.

Any thoughts? Anyone used these?

Also.....in relation to an Amazon Fire Stick. Obviously no USB-just HDMI to connect to TV. again....with an HDMI to Ethernet converter ...firstly would this work with firestick as its primarily WiFI enabled- & secondly anyone done this before? Again...if you could share your experience of any loss of internet signal/connection speed?

Thanks!

Comments

• were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2017 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Good luck getting the drivers for it that will allow it to work on your Android box, but it you have aPC instead you will probably will be happy.

At my friends house was going to mount an external usb wifi antenna about 20m outside. I learned the hard way that a 5m usb cable struggles carrying a signal, so was clever and got usb to ethernet connecters. They allow usb down an Ethernet cable to get a low loss??? connection.... Did not work.

Found out i need to use something like a powered usb cable with a repeater.. something like..
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plugable-USB-2-0-32ft-10M-Powered-Extension-Cable-USB2-10M-/262361503681?hash=item3d15f6d7c1:g:jxQAAOSwJQdW~FnS
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plugable-USB-2-0-32ft-10M-Powered-Extension-Cable-USB2-10M-/262361503681?hash=item3d15f6d7c1:g:jxQAAOSwJQdW~FnS

• DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2017 at 4:01PM
    Options
    OMG this purchase you made of a 4K Android streamer-Xiaomi Mi Android is becoming a Saga of throwing good money after bad.

There is no way the USB on that will work on a LAN connection, the manufacturer will have added the USB to support an SD card I imagine.

If it provides a wireless connection then that is what you use, there is NO WAY the USB will work let alone be stable.

Those USB to Lan were always kwap.

HDMI to Ethernet converters simple allow the SIGNAL of HDMI to be plugged into a booster that sends the input along CAT5 to a another booster at other end of CAT where it converts it back again. You would use that in a conference centre with a big TV and connect it to a PC in the back office.

No way your box is going to work on that

The more I read of your posts on this 4K Android streamer-Xiaomi Mi Android the more I think you should have got a Roku2 Roku3 or Roku4, what with time and money you have invested you would have saved money!!

If the issue is boosting the wifi get a wifi booster, or run ethernet around your home and put wireless access points in each room where you need wifi, I would add that you get what you pay for with these devices, so lesson learnt from your 4k Android disaster
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    David-I've not bought it yet-hence asking for advice on here! Following on from what's been posted...I won't be! Thanks guys for advising me! The present el cheapo V88 is not a full disaster-works very, very well-just not on 4k! So all other functions, 1080p playback, smart functions are brill!

Interestingly I've used advanced settings from the Ares Project re: cache....4k still won't play but what happens is less extreme-i.e plays but judders!

Does anyone know what th message ' read rate too low to play' REALLY means? On V88 just 1gb ram-I don't think processor (rockchip I think) is that cracky either...8gb storage.

With that message if I were to go for a 3gb memory would that solve the issue?

Also....anyone know of this magic number or way you can press something during playback to show buffer size/cache etc???? Obviously aware of the cache showing on bar at bottom of video (the bit in front of the actual 'playing' bar that shows films progress).

Thanks guys! If a 3gb player will make no difference will probs still get it as Android 6 & a robust, quicker Octa Core that should future proof the box somewhat.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is it your wanting to do with the Android box ?

If to watch K o d i why not get a 4K Amazon fire TV box or get a fire stick.

I'm just thinking of simplicity.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    yes-the Fire TV lookas a good bet....but the Octa core 3gb H96 pro + is same money....!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <With that message if I were to go for a 3gb memory would that solve the issue?>

The basic issue with the buffering and streaming is the actual source .
    If the source is poor no tinkering with advanced settings xml will help .
    I did read once upon a time that the ffmpeg decoding in the Kodi app is part of the problem .
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Ah.....ok! Thought the 'read' bit could be improved by upping RAM. Will have to try various sources.....apparently there is a pay thingy (which I understand is pretty cheap) called 'real debrid' that guarantees good sources....will research that as well.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    FWIW ... I have a Nexbox Android box (quad core, 64 bit, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage) ... anyway, this box allows a USB WiFi device to be plugged in to allow a wireless remote keyboard to be used. If the USB port can be used that way, perhaps a USB to Ethernet device might work?

No idea if these scenarios are related - just thought I'd offer an opinion from personal experience.
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    There you are, a purpose for the USB but I doubt it will work with Lan,

Just check the spec of device
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want more features than the cheap boxes get a Raspberry Pi. Need more than that build a PC for yout media centre.

I had a USB hard drive storage/ media player and got fed up of it not playing some formats and glitchy with others and built a PC to attach to the TV. Thats was 8 years ago and its still going strong and plays everything i put through it.

If i want portability i use a Raspberry Pi.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure