Pre-reg/Demo/Used car to buy but untaxed and no MOT

Options
Hi all
I just subscribed to the forum and this is my first post. I tried to search but it seemed no one asked/described the scenario I am experiencing.

I am about to buy a car from an official Nissan car dealer. The car has very low mileage (less than 1k miles) and it has a registration number.

I checked on the government website and it seems that this car is untaxed. The gov website shows the tax was due in Jan 2017. Then there's no MOT records for the vehicle. I have attached a screenshot for this..

s18.postimg.org/66m4fh5p5/Screenshot_20170429-181714_2.png

This makes me worry as this is my very first time I 1) buy a car in the UK 2) deal with anything that relates to the world of cars etc.

Everything is new for me. By looking/reading around looks like you need to be vigilant as it seems salesmen can sort of rip you off or also do whatever it takes as long as they sell... please correct me if I'm wrong and/or seem too paranoid.

Questions I have are:

Why is the car untaxed?
Given the tax was due in Jan 2017, why is still untaxed?
Given the tax was due in Jan 2017, would I be subject to fines because of that?
Given the car has less than 1k mileage, why there's no MOT record? Should it have any?
What happens if I buy this untaxed car with no MOT record whereby at the same time it has made almost 1k of mileage??

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dealers don't tax the cars they have for sale. The buyer of the car is responsible for taxing it from the date he buys it. Cars less than 3 years old do not need a MOT.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The car is untaxed because it's flagged with DVLA (the registration authority) as being in the motor trade, so not in use. Whenever you buy a car, you need to tax it yourself anyway - because tax doesn't transfer between owners.

The first MOT is due when the car is three years old.

What you describe is exactly what I'd expect for a near-new car that's at a dealer.
  • MaMoneyMaMoney
    Options
    Thank you kindly lincroft and Adrian for your quick, short and effective answers!

No MOT until the car is three years old. Got it.
    It's expected to have it untaxed as it's on sale. Got it.

Is there anything else I should double check and/or make sure of?

I paid the deposit but I won't go further if there's risk of being ripped off in any way (I am aware I am being paranoid.. just a tad..)
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all

By looking/reading around looks like you need to be vigilant as it seems salesmen can sort of rip you off or also do whatever it takes as long as they sell... please correct me if I'm wrong and/or seem too paranoid.

If you have agreed a price for the car it would usually include 6 months VED. If not just check what it will cost here: http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx

In my dealings with car sales staff I have found it to be quite a honest transaction. There is not much room for movement re the VED charge. Just be aware re GAP insurance & car paint protection as you can usually ger these cheapre elsewhere if required.
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is the car via a Nissan main dealer. If so it will probabaly be covered via: http://www.nissanusedcars.co.uk/en.GB/nissan_cared_4.htm

They will also have checked that it is HPI clear.
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The car is untaxed because it's flagged with DVLA (the registration authority) as being in the motor trade, so not in use. Whenever you buy a car, you need to tax it yourself anyway - because tax doesn't transfer between owners.

The first MOT is due when the car is three years old.

What you describe is exactly what I'd expect for a near-new car that's at a dealer.

As far as I'm aware, the dealer can still tax the car in the buyers name, I changed my car last year and the dealer taxed it for me in my name. without any problem.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • MaMoneyMaMoney
    Options
    If you have agreed a price for the car it would usually include 6 months VED.
    We have agreed a price and I gave him a deposit subject to view of the car (it has to arrive to the dealer shop). But as far as I can remember there was no mention of 6 months VED included in the price. Good point though as it will be a question I will ask when he'll call me out to go and see/pick up the vehicle again!
  • MaMoneyMaMoney
    Options
    Is the car via a Nissan main dealer.
    Yes it's a Nissan main dealer. Happy to give the name if I am allowed to do so.
  • MaMoneyMaMoney
    Options
    They will also have checked that it is HPI clear.
    That I don't know. I also don't know what HPI is and what it entails (though I shall start googling this..so thank you for mentioning the acronym!)

Should I ask?
  • MaMoneyMaMoney
    Options
    Just be aware re GAP insurance & car paint protection as you can usually ger these cheapre elsewhere if required.

That's what we did. Removing the GAP insurance offer he made off the equation.

During his back&forths to his manager's office I checked what the GAP insurance was and I found the GAP insurance guide on MSE and I realised I could get this for less than ~£350 which he was trying to bundle in..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure