PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Friday 28 April

Options
Gers
Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 28 April 2017 at 9:16AM in Old style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Gers, hugs to Karcher, Dumpling and the TA's.
    Csarina, I hope things are resolved to your satisfaction.
    I'm off to work in a sec then collecting DGD9 after school to stay tonight and on Saturday DGS10 is staying over.
    More bags to the CS, sewing stuff divided between my 2 DD's, work to be done on the boat this weekend, rubbing down the rust spots and priming them for Captain Hot Stuff, yet more cleaning and organising on the inside for me.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning all and thank you Gers for starting us off .The weather is dry at the moment but cloudy.Apparently there is rail disruption around here today so we may get an earlier start to avoid the traffic.I have had such a good time up here in mancland and benn made very welcome by everyone I have emt and chatted to.Lancashire should be reknowned for its friendly helpful folk, as I seem to have been lucky enough to have met a good few of them. I shall remember this holiday for a long time and the sights we have seen.

No doubt my own little tribe in Kent are waiting for me when I get home ,I know i shall be out tonight to dinner at DD as the DGS have been sending me 'Take care and drive safely' messages last night :):)

Hope everyone has a good day, I only just realised last night that its another bank holiday on Monday, fingers crossed the weather will brighten up

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's a bit chilly here this morning so I have wrapped up warm in my black sparkly cardigan, very glam :D. I have just had to be my own dentist when a bite of some crusty bread broke my tooth in half. I managed to pull out the wobbly bit but I think I am going to be on a soft diet for a while yet :(. I should have stuck to the porridge :).

It's been a difficult week in many ways but at least it's Friday and the Bank Holiday beckons. DD14 has been very brave and talked about how she has been feeling to her psychiatrist. It was so hard to hear especially when she talked about how she hurts herself. I didn't know about that so I had to try and stay composed but I came home and had a bit of a cry in private.

I had to go and get my meds on Monday as I had run out on the Friday so spent a couple of days without them. Unfortunately for me I had to listen to people in town laughing about my size. It hasn't happened for a little while as I rarely go out on my own. I felt devastated and ready to never go out again. This isn't possible though so I am going to have to toughen up.

My friend is coming over today for a few hours. I am very much looking forward to seeing her. A different friend came to see me yesterday and she brought her little grandson. He was gorgeous but my goodness I had forgotten how much toddlers need looking after. My house isn't particularly child proof now as my grandson is going to be 6 in a couple of weeks so I spent a lot of time moving things out of his way. DD15 did a fantastic job of keeping him entertained.

I don't know what to cook for tea, I think I will probably make some corned beef pasties. I also want to make a quick traybake cake before my friend arrives. I also need to do a quick tidy up before I go and get washed and dressed.

Hope you all have a lovely day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Not quite so cold here today hopefully its warming up a bit for the weekend. Off to work for me but its Friday :j and takeaway night :beer: I love Fridays.

Still no shopping done here :o so we will probably have to go out over the weekend and get some bits and do an online shop for later in the week
    Nothing will be done cleaning wise tonight as Friday night is sacred for resting and celebrating the end of the week, the cleaning can wait till tomorrow :T

Topsy nice to 'see' you the other day, Ive been wondering if you are ok xx

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks for the start GERS. Welcome back home JACKIE, glad you had a lovely break. Enjoy your oven bottom baps! Although we are only in the next county we call baps tea-cakes hereabouts! Hence, they are oven bottom tea-cakes here! Thank you all for your good wishes yesterday and thanks also to MONNAGRAN for popping in and her kind words too. Much appreciated.

Busy day in store for us. DS gets his keys for the new place at 8.45 and then we can start helping him (as best we can!) transport stuff down from here. He has dozens of big boxes stored in DD's computer room (2 doors away from his new place) but they are too heavy for us to carry down the steep steps from her house to the road. Also stuff at GF's which will be to shift at some point too. He says moving twice in 6 months is not to be recommended!

Needless to say the Friday clean round is postponed until all DS's stuff has gone. It's taken over nearly every room!

I have a pan of corned beef hash on the go which will serve as a quick lunch for us all when hunger strikes. Then I have a much needed hair appointment so will have to abandon them. I have never got round to trying to fit a haircut in, hence it's a disgrace.

It was total blue sky and sunshine when I first got up and now it's cloud! What happened?! No rain forecast though.

KARCHER and DUMPLING I hope the black cloud lifts soon. (HUGS) to you both and anyone else in need of one. And welcome to the new assertive CSARINA, I hope life gets better for you. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

I've been pottering around so it's probably time to get myself into a higher gear now. I'm so tired, having visitors for two full weeks is tougher than it should be. Even though both sets have stayed in a holiday cottage they have been around most evenings, some mornings and a few afternoons. I'm not complaining as it's been lovely to see everyone it's just a big difference to seeing them for a night out or afternoon shopping!

Gosh, I sound so ungrateful, don't mean to be. I'm so very grateful to have such good friends who travel up from the depths of England to visit me and my Highland home. Just not all at once please! :rotfl:

This morning I'm having a late breakfast with my friends before they go off for mandatory RIB trip through the Corryvreckan whirlpool this afternoon. I'll take myself off down the peninsula for some quiet time out of the house before our evening pub meal.

I'm not going down to Glasgow this weekend so I can recover my relaxed state. I started a book the other day (Quentin Jardine) which I really want to finish. Nothing in the house needs done apart from a wash over the weekend and a tidy through. I'll vacuum the woodburner tomorrow.

Dumpling - you're doing so blooming good, please don't allow the ignorance and bad manners of strangers to sidetrack you now. Know your worth, gather the love and strength from those who know and care for you and march through your days ignoring those not in your life.

Right, I should head for the shower. Happy Friday to everyone.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

(from yesterday)
    Jackie - Fantastic advice that your late mother passed on. I'll be sure to remember that.
    Judi - Puns are always welcome here.

Well I went yesterday at lunch to buy my bed frame and mattress but left without purchasing. I couldn't find a mattress I was comfortable in - not helped by the fact I'm in crutches - and the bed frame I liked was smaller than I remember. Anyway. I've to go to another store today to try some new mattresses, I'm sure I'll find something.

Didn't do too much last night and enjoyed an early night for an early rise this morning.

I've got a tuna steak marinading in the fridge for dinner tonight. Working again tomorrow morning.

Have a lovely Friday everyone.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone, thanks for the start Gers.

Bright and sunny here in EA but still cold, could go with some warm, spring weather now please!
    I had a restless, sleepless night so feel a bit wet ragish today.

Had a good day yesterday, my beloved was pleased with his presents and our lunch out was lovely, really tasty pub grub and not silly prices, I drove so that OH could have a birthday beer :)
    After a real treaty day though will need to be good food wise today, going out to get some fresh veg etc so thinking something like a prawn stir-fry.

Oh Dumpling that's a tough thing to hear re your DD then to have those horrible people dare to comment :mad: Hugs love x
    One step at a time TA take care of yourself too x
    Might be biased JackieO but my beloved is a Lancastrian and he is the tops.

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm off to Sainsbobs in a little while, they have a 10x nectar points offer this weekend so will stock up on things to take advantage! DH is off today and threatening to go down to the allotment where he has a never-ending list of jobs to do :)

TA, Karcher & Dumpling big hugs from Blackpool are winging their ways towards you, to comfort you.

Right, need to shift the sleepy cat on my lap and get a wriggle on - laundry needs hanging out, more needs putting in...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 April 2017 at 8:49AM
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've had a busy week, I really don't like busy weeks :D[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dad had x-rays after being injected with some sort of dye, he has a small tumour which is going to removed in a couple of weeks. Keyhole surgery through his belly button, the nurse said it won't leave a scar. He said “I'm a man, we [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]like[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] our manly scars!” lol. They said in most cases at this stage, that should be it over and done with but a small number of people have to have a course of chemo to zap a couple of cells which have gone astray. They'll know for certain when they do the op and although they can't say for certain yet, from the tests and x-rays it looks like it'll all be removed at once. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Master tru's van has been a nightmare for five months, it's been one repair after another. He's been wondering where to draw the line between constant repairs and getting a new van – with no money! - and he had his answer on monday. It started pulling over to the right, a car was coming the other way and they were almost level with each other when the van seized up. If the car had stopped, master tru would've hit him but he (other car) put his foot down and was out of the way just in time for the van to grind to a halt on the wrong side of the road, on the corner of a junction on double yellow lines. He called the AA and they brought him home. He went down to the Vauxhall garage, saw a van he liked and worked out the deposit and finances with the salesman but didn't sign anything because he couldn't pay the deposit there and then. When he went the next day, the van had been sold. I think timing played a part here, it's the end of the month and the garage wants to meet it's target - he was supposed to hand his van over as part of the deposit but he ended up keeping it, got the same van but a higher spec and a bit newer, all for the same money :D Someone we know will probably buy the old van for £500 so he's happy about that. Just need to get the van down to our friend's garage to get it off the road, the insurance switches to the new van at 9am. We'd move our car off the drive and put the van on it but it won't start and we can't push it because the drive is on a slope. I know two people with small transporters – one lives two doors away – but I don't think either of them will fit the van on. Just rambling about it now so I'll stop, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My shoulder has improved, it's still a bit stiff and sore but I can do most things if I'm careful. No lifting though. Putting on a t-shirt and tying my hair up is still difficult so if someone could pop round every morning and do those things for me I'd be very grateful :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I threw myself into work, so much was done and I keep looking at the little pile of papers still to do and the file which was empty last week but is now almost full and I'm feeling very proud of myself, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The fireplace is being put in today, master tru and his apprentice are doing it. I'm going to have to stop using the word apprentice – he's finished his course and is qualified, but he can't say that til he's got the certificate in his hand :D I haven't planned anything because I don't know how long it's going to take so I'll just flit about and see how it goes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business