AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH. Sounds Painful

Options
I took up indoor rock climbing as a hobby (and I'm loving it, by the way). But I think I went at it a bit too gung ho, and started to feel a bit of a twinge in my finger. right at the base of my index finger where it joins my knuckle, on the palm-side of my hand...

Initially put it down to being a 'good' pain, like when you go to the gym for the first time and your muscles ache like hell for the first few days, but this got gradually worse. Thought it would be the brave macho thing to just 'work through the pain' and it would get better.

Eventually it got to being unbearable to use that hand under pressure. GP says I may have damaged a tendon and is sending me to a hand surgeon to assess whether I need physio to repair any damage, or to see whether I'll need a course of steroid injections into the tendon to aid recovery.

Christ, it sounds painful. I think I'm just associating the word 'tendon' with 'tender'. Can anyone tell me whether it's gonna hurt or not?

Realise this aint a DFW subject, but I'm an DFW devotee and i'm drunk / scared at the moment.

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    well it's not going to hurt as much as leaving it untreated....
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • GreyPilgrim
    Options
    Oh yeah, I know that - I've not been back to the climbing wall for three months now...I gave it a 2 months rest just to see if it would put itself right, but I can still feel the injury is there so I want to get it sorted. It's took a while to get a consultant sorted. I'm itching to get back up and climbing but don't want to antagonize it without qualified advice.

But I hate pain.

Its the 'I'm a 6 foot 4 bloke and the hand surgeon is a lady and if I cry when she gives me the injection I'll feel like a right gimp' that makes me need some reassurance!' situation!
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me whether it's gonna hurt or not?

In short: yes. The physio should hurt less than the injections, and stop hurting quite quickly.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • GreyPilgrim
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    In short: yes. The physio should hurt less than the injections, and stop hurting quite quickly.

Can I have the 'not 100% truthful, keep my head in the sand' answer please.
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good lord, it'll be fine, you'll only feel a tiny scratch honest.

You could always ask that they give you the injections on the labour ward, your pain will melt away amongst the blood curdling screams :)
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • ZTD
    Options
    Can I have the 'not 100% truthful, keep my head in the sand' answer please.

That was it... ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Toto
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    That was it... ;)
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • ZTD
    Options
    Toto wrote: »
    Good lord, it'll be fine, you'll only feel a tiny scratch honest.

You're not a nurse are you? They *all* say that, and it always hurts like hell.

But if it didn't I'd be getting my nerves checked, because that would mean they were defective - they're meant to trigger when I get stuck with something sharp...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Injections don't hurt that much ya bloody wuss! :rotfl: You should try having your wazoo sewn back up after you've just shoved a baby through it.........(insert eye watering smiley here)!
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • Toto
    Options
    Snaggles wrote: »
    Injections don't hurt that much ya bloody wuss! :rotfl:

You can tell he's a man eh snaggles :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure