Abandoned car in my parking space

Options
mangomaz
mangomaz Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone! I was hoping on some feedback for a plan of action I have for an abandoned car...

There is an abandoned car in my parking space (it is a private car park in a residential development). It's been there since we've had the flat (2.5 years). Police have said it's not stolen/been reported, and I emailed the local council over 6 months ago to no response (email is literally the only way of contacting them for abandoned vehicles - shout out to Barnet fully outsourced council). I think they haven't done anything because it's not abandoned on a public road.

It's a volkswagon polo, and my friend did a HPI check on the car reg and said its worth about £695.

So I'm thinking about contacting the DVLA to get the car registered in my name (V62 form for £25) and then selling it for scrap? Does that sound like a reasonable, and legal plan?

I could also add an additional step of the V888 form, requesting the name and address of the current registered keepers (£2.50) and then contacting them asking if they want the car. But I thought the V62 could kill 2 birds with 1 stone since the DVLA would essentially do that on my behalf.

Or I could skip trying to make a quick bit of ££ and pressure the estate managers to get it towed away, which I could probably also do.

Thank you!

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mangomaz wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about contacting the DVLA to get the car registered in my name (V62 form for £25) and then selling it for scrap? Does that sound like a reasonable, and legal plan?
    No, it most definitely isn't. Just get somone to shift the car onto the public highway and then let the authorities deal with it.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You do reallise you cant just take possesion of someone property without their consent thats theft therefore its illegal

Or I could skip trying to make a quick bit of ££ and pressure the estate managers to get it towed away, which I could probably also do.

This. You pay a management company for the use of a private car park therefore its their responsibility to get rid of it.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a volkswagon polo, and my friend did a HPI check on the car reg and said its worth about £695.

and it probably worth about £50 without the keys
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If its a private car park, then the estate managers are probably your best bet - Is the space covered in your lease/deeds? If so, them leaving it blocked could well affect your right to "quiet enjoyment" of your property - which is potentially a quite serious matter for them.

However, IME, if an abandoned car becomes insecure and a potential risk, the police/council will normally take more of an interest in it.

Not of course that I'm suggesting/condoning putting a window-in, despite just that being the advice a police officer once gave to me about an abandoned VW outside my house.

Strangely, after someone did actually force entry, the council removed it within a couple of days.

Just don't get caught. ;)
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    council should be able to sort out any abandoned car, regardless of whether it's on public or private land. Is there no way of calling them? I know you said you can only email but there can't be really be a local authority where you cannot talk to someone, surely?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plenty of phone numbers for Barnet council on their website, if all else fails use the Complaints one.

https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/council-and-democracy/council-and-community/contact-details-for-customer-facing-departments.html
  • saker75
    saker75 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speak to your local Councillor.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2017 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Get some friends to drag it out into the street, it'll soon disappear.

Two ways, tow it or get hold on some dolly wheels.

TBH, if it were me, that car would have been dragged into the road 2 years ago.

Have you asked your landlord (assume renting) if it's theirs?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2 Cases of beer - £20. Load of burly mates to bounce it into the road where it will get a ticket/cause an obstruction. Job done. Get phished with mates. :beer:
    The man without a signature.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    ^^ Then (and only then) will your neighbour come out and say "hey, that's my car!!"
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure