IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

1 Big Car Park, 2 landowners, Valid parking ticket but Parking Charge Issued

Options

Comments

• Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    my case was dropped the afternoon before so still hope!!!
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • claxtome
    claxtome Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    my case was dropped the afternoon before so still hope!!!
    I have not been home yet so may have a letter for me ;) OR tomorrow
    If not I am going to be very prepared for my day in court and will still attend unless I am specifically told otherwise by court....
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    We know that the witness is very unlikely to turn up.
    The DJ should take issue with this, but they often don't. I'd be ready to argue that you wanted to x-xamine them, so I think you should be ready with the kind of questions you wanted to ask them to demonstrate to him that you are hampered in their absence and he should give little or no weight to their evidence.

eg you would want to ask them:
    1. who placed the rubble there and when
    2. did they have any communication with the council about the lack of demarcation between the two parts of the car park?
    3. how many complaints have they had about tickets given to people who say they thought they had parked in the council-run part and had actually purchased tickets/poor signage?
    4. where exactly the dividing line is between the two parts of the car park
    5. the points you raise about their signage plan in your SA

Things like that. If the DJ questions why the witness's attendance was necessary you can say that these were the sort of questions you wanted to raise, and they are very relevant.

The CoP (not sure if it's IPC or BPA) has in it various obligations about detailed and meticulous record keeping. So the PPC employee should have at their fingertips all of the information you need (had they turned up).

Make sure you take with you the letter where you told them specifically you want their witness there.

Are you going to look at challenging RoA?
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • claxtome
    edited 11 October 2017 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Thanks for your guidance again LoC.
    I will make sure I am prepared for the witness in case they turn up.

I filed my costs, including adding 'unreasonable behaviour' at court this morning and sent it to Claimant. (Just within the 24hr limit)
    Are you going to look at challenging RoA?
    I am little unsure what you mean by RoA.
    I have seen on here a glossary but can;t seem to find it now :(
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RoA = Right of Audience.
  • claxtome
    edited 11 October 2017 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Thank you KeithP looking into it further and it is to do with the person who turns up tomorrow has the right to conduct legal proceedings in court on behalf of Claimant->
    http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/right-of-audience/

Any hints/tips/suggestions are welcome.

Will use any 'legal' tactic to get a dismissal ;)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    From what I’ve read in many threads, unless you know your facts on RoA and can argue them correctly and cogently, then it’s tricky territory. Get a grumpy Judge and you risk peeing him/her off before you even start as you will need to raise this at the very outset of your case.

Given you’re so close to the court hearing, plus even where advocates clearly don’t have RoA, there are many Judges who have still allowed them to speak, I’d concentrate on the rest of your case rather than let this consume (and possibly confuse) at such a very late stage.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • claxtome
    edited 11 October 2017 at 1:34PM
    Options
    unless you know your facts on RoA and can argue them correctly and cogently
    I certainly don't and not sure have the time to learn them
    you risk peeing him/her off before you even start
    I certainly don't want to do that as think I have a very good case.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Agree completely with that advice.

although the RoA argument is a good one, and most of the agency advocates sent by the PPCs undoubtedly don't have RoA, the DJs don't generally like the argument. Because it's so rarely raised, they tend to say "Oh, Mr X has appeared lots of times before me, of course he has RoA". A Mr Nash recently got refused RoA in Cardiff, then appeared 2 days later in Swansea and when the Defendant raised it the judge just said that. In other cases, the advocate has just said "but I'm a barrister" and the Defendant, not being fully clued up, has accepted that as meaning they have RoA (when that is not necessarily the case).

You have to be very ballsy and clued up on the legislation to argue it successfully in the face of that sort of attitude.

Running the argument unsuccessfully will rattle your confidence about the rest of your case and may annoy the judge. So I can see why you wouldn't want to muddy the waters trying to argue it if you're not confident about it.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Have you looked up online who your DJ is? Crossing my fingers it's the same as Kezza's. Not sure what time they publish the listings online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure