No tv licence. Need monitor for dvd player use.

Options
13»

Comments

• mysterymurdoch
    Options
    Just a few window sales people and charity fund generators! I've closed a few doors in faces when they wouldn't stop talking to allow me to say "no". Just today I hung up on a sales call trying to sell me insurance for my fridge...The guy literally didn't let me get a word in for about 60 seconds. No idea why people think that kind of pushiness is the way to deal with potential customers.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Glad you gave him the cold shoulder.

Taxi!
  • dadsarmy1
    dadsarmy1 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't like the sound of blurry images. Old good crt's a bit thin on ground now. Like a modern connection cable though.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Overthinking yes. I guess I am trying to ensure that should a search warrant TVL dude and Police officer arrive the Freeview has not tuned itself in to any station.
    It'll find that difficult with no aerial plugged in.

Also wonder if Freeview is likely to give problems if not tuned in.

No.
    Have scart cables for the 2 crt monitors.

It's extremely unlikely (but not impossible) that a monitor has SCART.
    A good test is to watch a man skiing down a mountain, preferably in a close up. That often shows a blur around the person. I laughed at an LCD screen when they showed such a demo.

Sounds like a very old LCD, or a poor signal. Hope you're not comparing a 60 inch LCD against a 32 inch CRT, at the same distance, of course the CRT will look better, you're 'zoomed in' less.
    CRT didn't die because of picture quality, it died because of size. Plenty of CRT monitors are capable of much more than HD resolution.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some people do not notice it. Video, especially video converted from NTSC frame rates tends to make video more blurry due to the frame rate conversion. I did do lots of video conversion and so noticed things like this. Looking at individual frames of video and stepping through it and can easily see blurring where there is a frame rate change from 29.97 (23.976) to 25 fps. Extra frames get inserted to adjust the frame rate and some of it is interpolated. Once you notice it your eyes are drawn to it even during normal playback.

Plasma was much better than LCD/LED but decent Plasma TV's are very hard to find now. However plasma did sometimes have some problems notably buzzing from the power supply in some cases.

The amount of processing done by modern TV's ruins the picture IMO because it looks so unnatural. TV sales set adjustments look far worse than a properly adjusted set but even those do not look natural to me.

RGB scart with a decent cable provides a fairly decent picture. My DVD/media player has hdmi, rgb scart and composite out as well as optical and coax audio.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    A good site that documents blur and it's causes and solutions See the drop down links for articles
    https://www.blurbusters.com/motion-tests/motion-blur-photo-examples/
    https://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting&background=404040&separation=1000&pps=960&pursuit=0
    You could make a DVD of test images to test out TV's from the images and animations. You might be able to get/purchase test DVD's for this purpose. However the test images would depend upon the TV technology. VA panel TV's would respond worse to colours which IPS TV's would work better on and other colours could respond worse on IPS. I doubt that you will find a TV to match a CRT, especially for blurring or lack of.

This article shows why CRT's give far less blur than any LCD/LED/ or even OLED screen. I do not notice any flicker on my CRT TV and I only did on my now broken CRT PC monitor when refresh was lowered to 60Hz, 75 or preferably 85Hz gave no flicker and no motion blur! CRT's are the gold standard for motion display and very little gets close to them. For my PC monitor which replaced my broken CRT PC monitor I first went for a VA/AMVA panel by benq because of the reviews about the contrast and black levels being so good. The panel was utterly terrible because every time the screen scrolled it blurred terribly which I found very distracting and annoying. Black and white was not so bad but I dislike white pages and change white for other colours such as having google search as black on grey. This showed up the inadequacy of VA panels because grey and brown transitions are very slow and they blur like crazy. That monitor went back. I got a strobe backlight TN panel which was considerably better but black levels were not as good. The strobe backlighting did reduce blurring a lot, not quite CRT but fairly decent but it causes a brightening of the screen which washes out the colour and destroys black levels. 144Hz is about the best for my monitor. TV's are a bit different and they can create frames to speed up the frame rate but that itself can cause blurring. I spent a very long time selecting a PC monitor and I would say that I am only 60% satisfied with it.

A forum where you can read up on what people think about their TV's which can be a useful resource.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some people do not notice it. Video, especially video converted from NTSC frame rates tends to make video more blurry due to the frame rate conversion. I did do lots of video conversion and so noticed things like this. Looking at individual frames of video and stepping through it and can easily see blurring where there is a frame rate change from 29.97 (23.976) to 25 fps. Extra frames get inserted to adjust the frame rate and some of it is interpolated. Once you notice it your eyes are drawn to it even during normal playback.

Agreed. But not an LCD issue.
    Plasma was much better than LCD/LED but decent Plasma TV's are very hard to find now. However plasma did sometimes have some problems notably buzzing from the power supply in some cases.

Yep, my screen made the faintest noise. My dad still has one and it's just dull. That's partly the way he likes it (he's an ex-photographer and constantly lectures me about colour accuracy!). I honestly think modern, good LED LCDs can match plasma, for everything except possibly black levels. The push for HDR might put that to bed once and for all.
    Plasma cost far more to manufacture and ship than LCD, and started to look fat whilst LCDs kept getting thinner, and they couldn't charge much more for them. They were beaten by the marketability of LCD, not quality.
    The amount of processing done by modern TV's ruins the picture IMO because it looks so unnatural. TV sales set adjustments look far worse than a properly adjusted set but even those do not look natural to me.

Agree. Turn it all off, then assess the picture!

I'll have a look at your links and test my own TVs with them.I do admit when calibrating that I often end up turning things up that little bit after calibrating, but not to shop levels!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    BBC/TVL themselves say that:-

- You do not have to let TVL staff into your home, other than in the extremely unlikely event of a warrant(*).

- You have the right to decline to be interviewed under caution. (You also have the right to silence and the right to legal counsel).

(*) TVL warrants are tiny in number: around 100 each year across the whole of England, Wales & NI. None in Scotland.
  • mysterymurdoch
    Options
    Also the BBC have the right to have a good hard look at themselves, their biased/selective reporting, their royalism, their overpaid presenters, dated thinking, historic ignorance of abusive practices within their institution, and put their TV license where the sun doesn't shine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure