No tv licence. Need monitor for dvd player use.

Options

Comments

• dadsarmy1
    dadsarmy1 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes that is a good idea. Maybe a member will advise if they have been able to connect a dvd player up to a monitor with speakers
    without going through a computer?
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Really, you're over-thinking this.

Buy a normal TV. Do not tune in any channels or connect a TV aerial. This is all you need to do to comply with the law. A TV licence is only required if you receive live broadcast signals (for watching or recording) or watching iPlayer. If you do none of these things, you do not need one.

If TVL start sending you warning letters, simply ignore them. Its not down to you to prove your innocence. You do not have to invite them into your home.
  • dadsarmy1
    Options
    Overthinking yes. I guess I am trying to ensure that should a search warrant TVL dude and Police officer arrive the Freeview has not tuned itself in to any station. Also wonder if Freeview is likely to give problems if not tuned in. Many letters over the years from TVL. We sometimes jokingly say for example how disappointed we are as we baked a cake specially for TVL dude but he never turns up!
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you insist on the monitor route, look for one with HDMI in, that should be easy. Then you can plug a DVD player with HDMI into it very easily. Obviously the monitor needs speakers and they will likely sound rubbish.
    Or buy a TV. You will have NO issue with a TV, with no aerial connected. Just put it onto HDMI1, AV1 or whatever you plug the DVD player into, and the Freeview tuner will never trouble you again.
    What connections does your current DVD player have? HDMI is the only viable option for most monitors.
  • dadsarmy1
    Options
    TV does sound better than a monitor I must admit. Have scart cables for the 2 crt monitors. Looking forward to buying and trying an HDMI DVD with a new TV however. Thank you.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2017 at 3:07PM
    Options
    Most TV's have RGB Scart connections, including the latest LED TV's. There might only be one SCART but you will only need this for the DVD player. You can get Scart switchers to increase the available connections.
    Newer DVD players can have HDMI and so will newer TV's. If your TV is a large CRT TV then it might have a RGB Scart connection. Otherwise a composite connection or maybe a S-Video connection might be provided with lower quality. Getting a DVD which outputs a composite or S-video is more difficult, some can have that on a Scart connection. It's a case of matching up the best connection available on both the DVD and TV.

Just do not connect an Aerial cable to the TV and do not tune any stations. If it is a newer TV then you might have to delete any autotuned channels if they manage to tune anything at all with the aerial disconnected.

I am seriously thinking about stopping my TV license as I never watch any TV and have no idea what TV shows are available now. I only use a DVD player occasionally.

BTW I can see blurring on most LCD/LED TV's and any amount of processing cannot get rid of it for me. I h8 LED/LCD screens. I will stick with my CRT thank you very much.

A good test is to watch a man skiing down a mountain, preferably in a close up. That often shows a blur around the person. I laughed at an LCD screen when they showed such a demo.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    dadsarmy1 wrote: »
    Overthinking yes. I guess I am trying to ensure that should a search warrant TVL dude and Police officer arrive the Freeview has not tuned itself in to any station. Also wonder if Freeview is likely to give problems if not tuned in. Many letters over the years from TVL. We sometimes jokingly say for example how disappointed we are as we baked a cake specially for TVL dude but he never turns up!

This guy has been receiving letters for over a decade:

http://www.bbctvlicence.com
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A good test is to watch a man skiing down a mountain, preferably in a close up. That often shows a blur around the person. I laughed at an LCD screen when they showed such a demo.

Some screen such as VA panels cannot handle changes in grey and brown and blur terribly on those colours. They typically have high real contrast ratios of 3000:1 to 5000:1 and show better blacks, not the unreal million figures that get quoted.

Other screens such as IPS have difficulties with other colour transitions. Even my high speed 240Hz TN PC monitor is not totally free from blurring. It's much better but not absent.

If you can make a DVD with a recording of blurbuster ufo demo it might show up some monitors/tv's blurring.

That is before you even start on the yucky unrealistic computer like colours on most LCD/LED screens. It's a pity that plasma died IMO. As soon as OLED reach realistic prices that might be worth getting.
  • mysterymurdoch
    Options
    I've not had a tv license for a few years. Aside from my disgust at the BBC in general it's because I don't need one. I have a TV in the loft, monitors and computer capable of watching live TV on. It doesn't mean I care about some third party commission monkey coming and trying to heavy hand the fear into me. It's just not going to happen. My house is my kingdom and anyone bothering me at the door will find it closed swiftly in their face.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    I've not had a tv license for a few years. Aside from my disgust at the BBC in general it's because I don't need one. I have a TV in the loft, monitors and computer capable of watching live TV on. It doesn't mean I care about some third party commission monkey coming and trying to heavy hand the fear into me. It's just not going to happen. My house is my kingdom and anyone bothering me at the door will find it closed swiftly in their face.

Out of interest how many unwanted visitors have you had over the years? What was your usual response?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure