don't think i can handle the course

Options
Hi all,
this isn't really moneysavingy (well, not directly), but it is studenty!
I've started a course and it has occurred to me I really don't want to be here. I think I was fooling myself to think I could handle the workload, and can't stop panicking about it! I know that I should be trying to get my head round readings and things, but I just plain can't understand, so I give up and then panic because I am not putting in my x hours a week. Oh yes and of course in the process of all this I am thinking why did I give up a job to do this as of course I now am adapting to having less money!
Sorry about that! :eek:
Does anybody else get a bit like this sometimes?
HV :beer:

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By now you should have a tutor. have you tried talking to him/her? They most probably have encountered this before so maybe able to give quite a bit of help.

If uni really isn't your thing (speak to tutor first!!) then you should drop out to save yourself having to pay tuition fees for the rest of the year.

But do talk to your tutor!!
  • holly_vegas
    Options
    I still haven't been allocated a tutor (postgrad), the place doesn't exactly scream organisation.
  • sockospice
    Options
    Maybe go straight to the head of the course then? It's best to address these things early, especially if it looks like there's a lack of organisation that might potentially affect the support you receive if you decide to continue.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    What course are you doing HV? Maybe someone on here could help? x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • hogshead
    hogshead Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked on www.thestudentroom.co.uk to see if anyone else is on the course & able to help withy our dilema...you might not be alone in thinking this.

Hope you sort everything out & good luck.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ive felt the same since i started and im just going into final year, just got on with it, not quite sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing carrying on but seriously i now know that if you dont enjoy it its very hard to do your best at it
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • LaurenNorwich
    Options
    I know what it is like but it is still very early in the year to give up ... you're a postgrad so you have been through it before, yes it is tough but in the end it is worth it. I would suggest you give it a bit more time .. I know financially this is hard but the first couple of weeks are overwhelming.

And speak to people - others on your course/tutors/friends - sometimes you just need a bit of reassurance to know that you can do it.

From my experience the first couple of weeks never scream organisation so try not to get too worried just keep calm and if you find yourself still unhappy then reconsider your position.
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think what you are experiencing is pretty normal, its a big change in your life coming from earning to be a student.
    personally i would just hang on in there for a couple of weeks and see if your opinions change
    Give blood - its free
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    I've just started a degree and am really unsure whether I've made the right choice. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks then either get on with it or speak to a tutor.
  • Elsterap
    Elsterap Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I just had my induction for university. My lecturer talked about an attitudew curve, with stage of recession into depressive symptons and stages of equillibrium. Says most people experience the depressive symptons just after christmas, but they can come at any time. The trick is, to limit the impact of the recession and get yourself motivated again!

When people say, go see your tutor, it does seem like a kop out answer i know. But they're right, your tutor is used to people talking like this, they wont just ask, 'so you wana leave then,' they'll be helpful. If your tutor isnt sorted yet, speak to your lectureer after class, or your student union (student unions are bleeding brilliant.) And if one of these don't wor, try another!

Unis a big change, and there loads of things to help you get through it. Talk to these people to see what your options are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure