£16,000 debt, turning regret into positive action.

Options

Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    I agree amazing amount paid off :D
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks hiddenidentity. Iv been going over it a lot today and I'm really pleased but it's just focusing on what more I can do to get to where I want to go as we all know there's always more savings to be made.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    So yesterday's tasks finished. Two people are complete for Christmas. 4 more birthdays left to complete no idea what to get so need to get out and about for ideas. I'm heading to London so going to head to a few of the fun and cheap shops for some stocking fillers for everyone.

Also need to have a look at all my accounts today and book an mot in. Again already have the money for the mot. I think there may be enough money in my present fund that I can stop paying into it and that money can go towards my debts.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Spent all weekend crunching numbers and reminding myself of my goal and if I work hard I will get there that is inspired me to trim my budget even more this month. Iv said before there's always savings to be made and I was living in luxury in my terms so it's been trimmed.

Iv now paid off another £35 bringing this months total debt repayment to £801. Didn't think I'd get any more but manager to squeeze it dry. Can't miss what I don't have.

I still have the £80 worth of expenses to claim so I'm hoping to get both of them this month and that will go straight to the debt repayment.

I'm so close to the £8999 mark I reckon if o can get those expenses and I really am tight this month I might make it. Well if I can find £80 hiding somewhere? Maybe not but I am so close.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch so I'm going to suggest a picnic. Iv also planned a weekend in so I'm looking at a really good no spend week.
    I have an external work meeting on Thursday, my travel will be paid for I'm sure I can claim for a coffee and I'm going to take my own food so I'll have to eat lots on the train before I meet other people and then make sure I have some food for the train back.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You seem to be doing well with bringing the debt down but struggling with your priorities. If you want to save for a deposit then perhaps you could knock holidays on the head for a few years and focus on getting a house. You have to decide which is more important to you and yes you can kick yourself for getting into debt which has delayed your other goals but learning from past mistakes is a better use of your time. Good luck anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Hey enthusiasticsaver this is what I'm struggling with right now. Iv floated the idea of not going away and I think in my head iv already come to that decision that I'd rather put that £1000 into debt repayment, in my head iv already spent that money in my debt budget pushing my debt free day a month ahead.
    But we're a partnership and make those decisions together so I'm going to be making subtle hints about not going from now on.
    It's so hard as it's something iv wanted to do all year and have saved so hard for and sacrificed but I agree with you that it needs to be kicked to the curb it's one holiday but my future is more important.
  • dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You're doing really well! Your determination really shines through. Being sorted for Christmas already is amazing - so when everyone else is stressing about present shopping you're all done and all the spend is a long way in the past.

The holiday decision sounds very difficult. I just went on one before getting into proper debt-busting mode, the flights which were the main cost were non-refundable so I didn't want to cancel but the overall cost was a couple of months of my minimum payments so I'm thinking a bit wistfully now of having put it to my debt. On the other hand I know it's going to be probably two years to pay off my debt and I want to live in that time too!
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Yh I agree it's weighing it up isn't it. We had a few holidays already paid for so we have gone on them but this last one is one I can make a choice on.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Nsd yesterday but today I had to get some bits from the shops so spent £8.

Some of my expenses have been approved so they will be with me soon.
    High spends tomorrow as I'll have to claim everything back on expenses but iv done my best to keep costs down.

Not much else has happened, had a look at what our combined salaries would look like once we have a house and if we both clear out debt first we will be in a very good position. Also looked at the kind of house we could afford and again the future looks brighter then I thought it would be so we have options. This drives me more and shows me im going in the right direction.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Busy week.

I processed all my expenses and already received £40 but it seems I spread myself about thin considering I had more expenses to pay out for so iv only paid £20 to my debt from it at the moment.
    I had to spend about £60 on more work stuff but iv already put a form in for that.
    I need to spend more out this week so I'll make sure that I put a form in as soon as I'm back.

Wednesday was a no spend date but thursdays meeting cost £6 and then I needed food after as I was delayed and spend another £6.

I also had a result in the make up department this week, I was given lots of free samples and a free facial so I have topped up my makeup draw. I was also considering swapping some of my expensive makeup for cheaper stuff but this showed me that when it comes to my make up it's worth continuing as it's about quality and they last longer then there cheaper counterparts anyway as you use less.

Holiday is also officially cancelled! So after our get away this month I'm transferring the whole account into my debt. Hopefully I'll reach the £7000 debt line in august :money:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback