25 year old dept

Hi there
I'll bore you with the details.. approx 25 years ago I was unemployed claiming benefits.. got a part time 5ime job in a school.. was told I was OK to carry on claiming.. this was wrong I should have been claiming working family tax credits... long and short.. had an interview and they said this would be OK.. we'll it wasn't... so 20 years later they started to chase me for money £7000 .. I didn't reply as i thought it was a bit odd and didn't trust it... next thing is they started an attachment of earnings.. £250 per month.. which I can not afford.. I spoke to someone.. explained what had happened.. they didn't want to know.. so I agreed to Pay the dept £50per month.. which I was doing.. I then received a letter to say they were reviewed it and I had to increase payments to £75 per month.. which I couldn't afford but agreed.... this weekend i just received another letter to say they are going to review it again .. I definitely can not afford any more.. does anyone know anything I can do to either write some the dept off or make sure they don't increase the payments anymore.. as if they do I think I'll have leave my job cause it's too difficult to pay. I now owe approx £5000 ...Sorry for being long winded.. I'm just at the end of my tether.. trying to do the right thing and it just doesn't seem to help me


  • Hi. I'm sorry, I'm not able to help at all but didn't want to read and run.

    I can see this is your first post and I didn't want you to feel ignored. I hope someone more useful than me comes along soon.

    Good luck.
  • Lumanous
    Lumanous Posts: 132
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello Tracey,

    Apologies I don't have any specific advice to give as not been in your situation (hoping others here will be able to help). But I wanted to ask you, have you spoken to Citizens Advice at all about this? I only ask as I've seen others where they've had issues/queries around benefits (NOT the same situation but to do with money troubles and benefits, so similar ball park) and they had been in touch with CA to help. Wondered if you had tried already. Might be worth considering or having a nosy around their sites etc.

    Did they give a reason as to why they were going to increase it from £50 to £75? E.g. was this based on your salary? Sorry I don't know much about this.

    Another idea might be to take a look at the StepChange website specifically with regards to attachment of earnings if you haven't already. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link here but if you search stepchange and attachment of earnings it should come up with something. (note: this is for England and wales only - apologies if not relevant). You might also be able to have a chat with them to see if they could help give you advice based on your situation, especially as regards keeping the debt steady without additional charges so you can pay it off (not used myself but believe may be helpful for your current situation)

    Just ideas/suggestions. Don't give up hope it can be a frustrating time. Great that you are working, I'd say don't give up work and try to get some help to get your current situation to work for you. If you give it up you'll just end up back in the same situ somewhere down the line and they may not stop trying to get money off you (I don't know for certain) but there are ways to help you manage in current situation so I hope you can stick with it :) Good luck
    No, my username is not a typo :tongue:
  • Can someone ask the mods (sorry I don't know how to do it!) to move this to the debt free wannabe board as it will get more of a response there
  • Really appreciate all ur contributions... I'm going to try to call step change.. n c if there is anything just can do... thanks again
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Depending on your situation you might be able to enter into a Debt Management Plan and force the DWP to accept what you can afford rather than what they think you can.

    As for claiming JSA whilst working (even part time), you can work (and always could) 15 hours and 59 minutes. You do however have to inform the Jobcentre every time you go to sign on. They will note the hours you worked and you benefits would then be altered to take the work into account.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

    Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

    3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards