We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ways To Improve Income?

Options
13»

Comments

• tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Ex gets all that, shes making a nice tidy sum for someone who doesn't work, I can't get working tax as I earn to much (Even though I'm on min wage) The benefits system is set up for whoever has the kids,

I am a bit confused here. I thought you looked after the kids in the evening while she worked?
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tallyhoh wrote: »
    I am a bit confused here. I thought you looked after the kids in the evening while she worked?
    So I do, I look after them for 4 hours, but she sees this as my dutiful right and I get no share of benefits
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,961 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thought you said your ex got a tidey sum for someone who dident work.
    Sorry.Im confused(doesent take a lot!)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jenchin66
    Options
    The minimum wage is going up in October :j
    Pad, started 28.11.08 running total £3674.91:T
    Sealed pot challenge member 346:T
  • System
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Thought you said your ex got a tidey sum for someone who dident work.
    Sorry.Im confused(doesent take a lot!)
    Ah right soz should of made it clearer, she cleans an office in the evening for a few hours 3 times a wk, so I suppose she does work but not full time
  • System
    Options
    If you are in really tough situation, and i can see you really are. I would do the following:
    1) Signup for as many cashback sites as you can find
    2) Set up email acc for each
    3) Start signing up for the services they advertise
    Many of the sites have the same services that's way you need different emails to get it around...if you know what i mean.
    !!!Note this isn't entirely fair, because you "might" generate some false leads.!!!!
    But in your situation it would definitely help. I'd say 30-60 quid a day...but as others said you will have to wait for payout for some time.

Really:beer: Thats a fair bit of money
  • Stella66
    Options
    I find AQA the best way of making extra money. It is a question answering service and you get paid 30p for each question you answer. You can answer as many questions as you want, and do it in you spare time.

http://www.issuebits.com/vacancies.htm
  • System
    Options
    Stella66 wrote: »
    I find AQA the best way of making extra money. It is a question answering service and you get paid 30p for each question you answer. You can answer as many questions as you want, and do it in you spare time.

http://www.issuebits.com/vacancies.htm
    No Vacancies at the min.

Now call me thick but I'm looking these click sites, am I reading wrong or do you have to buy something to get money back cos I dont have any money
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    no you just click! It's boring & monotonous but its free & its extra dosh! Someone on here emailed me a guide...anyone? If you can pm me your address I'll email you some info..
    No Vacancies at the min.

Now call me thick but I'm looking these click sites, am I reading wrong or do you have to buy something to get money back cos I dont have any money
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• cannycat
    Options
    Hi and good luck with your situation.

I'm in debt because I didn't pay attention sooner (!) and due to some circumstances beyond my control too.

I'd endorse working for AQA - keep looking at the site, it took me 3 or 4 attempts before I hit a day when they were recruiting.

The recruitment process can take a week or two but it is worth it, in just a month it's helped me feel more in control of my money. I've also found them very helpful so far and supportive in the early stages. (I've only been with them a month.)

I'd also recommend Texperts; their test is different from AQA's test in that it's all online (and I found it harder to pass, but I know others have found it easier; I'd recommend being persistent though!)

Other suggestions for earning a little bit of extra money:

- Ebay
    - Amazon (DVDS/books sell better on here than on Ebay in my experience)
    - Mystery shopping
    - Writing articles for women's magazines - some magazines like Full House etc pay a few hundred quid per story. In your position it might be worth trying something like 'Ten tips to cope as a stay-at-home Dad', which you never know, might catch the eye of an editor
    - Clicking and surveys as mentioned earlier - I've found shopandscan very good, but they don't recruit often and you have to wait for an invitation (I can't remember how mine came through, I think it was because I was doing online surveys for TNS, which is the same group). I've also found Ipsos quite good and occasionally brainjuicer. I know others have posted on these forums.
    - In terms of saving money, especially on food, the old style board is fantastic for this - I've learned from them how much cheaper it is to
    a) go shopping at about 8.00-8.30 at night if you can as food gets reduced round about then in many supermarkets, and
    b) cook big batches of food and freeze it in smaller containers.
    c) make my own bread (breadmakers are relatively cheap now and even with the electricity it still works out cheaper), pizza, and soups/casseroles/stews.

If you have a garden or a patio, have you looked at growing fruit and veg too? I was ever so excited last year when my first little harvest of peas and carrots sprouted. (Well, there's not a lot to do in Devon!)

None of this will make you rich overnight, but every penny helps.

Good luck!
    Exiled-Geordie-in-the-west-country (not quite in the middle of nowhere, but I can definitely see it from here!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport