Littlewoods extra care adavntage/PPI

Options
I thought I'd post my on going experience with trying to reclaim PPI from Littlewoods or extra care advantage as it's also seems to be known as. Hopefully it will be of some use to someone out there. It's on going at the minute so there has been no definitive outcome yet.

I've been paying extra care advantage for a few years and couldn't remember ever agreeing to it so decided (after searching on MSE) to see if I could claim any or all of it back.

The first thing I did was to ring customer services who were quite helpful. I asked if it was possible for all my past statements because now I had gone paperless I could only go back one year online. I was told they could only provide the previous 10 years worth and that it would be a charge of £5. Not bad I thought as it was a start. To be honest I couldn't remember when I had opened the account so I asked if they check for me. I was put on hold for 5 minutes while the manager was consulted. The customer services operator then came back to me and told me I had opened the account in October 2000 but they could still only provide me with 10 years worth of statements.................................oh, and it was actually £5 per copy not £5 per for the whole lot :eek: I said that was a ridiculous charge and unjustified.

Not to be swayed away from the pursuit I then decided to send a letter by recorded delivery. I used a template letter my partner found through MSE and sent that to Littlewoods data protection department in Chelmsford. I included a £10 postal order to cover the DSAR charge if one was to be applied. Very quickly an email came back to me asking to clarify my address and date of birth. It also said that no charge would be applied, my £10 would be returned and the information I requested would be sent to me through the post.

A couple of days later I received a cheque for £10 and a one paper statement confirming when I opened my account and that PPI had been applied. Not what I wanted but I felt I was getting somewhere. At least they acknowledged that PPI had been applied form the date I opened my account.

I emailed the lady back who I had been dealing with and thanked her for the quick response to my query but explained it was the actual statements I wanted. I offered to send her the £10 again but she said there would be no charge and that the statements would be sent out that day by recorded delivery. Sure enough, the next day a complete record of my statements was delivered :)

They aren't in the usual statement format and take a bit of working out, but a list of codes and their meanings was included so after a bit of head scratching by my partner she worked out which was the relevant code for PPI/extra care advantage. Now some months nothing had been applied and some months it was as little as £0.11 but adding it all up over the 17 years it came to a total of £408 I had paid, so a decent enough amount.

This is as far as I have got so my next step is to send a letter to see what the process is to try and claim it back. I would like to say that Littlewoods have been very helpful but I get the impression that they seem to be dragging their heels just a little bit. The cynic in me is thinking maybe they are subtly trying to put me off.

I will update if and when I receive a response to the letter I send. If you have got this far then well done and sorry it's a lengthy first post.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A company has 40 days to respond to a DSAR and you don't need to do one to make a complaint about PPI (as they have your records they can see you paid it so you having statements is unnecessary), that is probably why they contacted you first.

There is no process to "claim it back", you need to send a complaint to them explaining why you feel it was miss-sold with any evidence to prove your case, simply follow the normal steps

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So you've had the account since 2000? This is pre regulation so they don't have to consider your complaint if they don't want to.
    Count your lucky stars if they do...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    as taff says, they cant just as easily tell you to go away to put it nicely, im surprised they havent done that allready but good luck.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • scruffyherbert
    Options
    Firstly, thanks for the 3 replies above. They're appreciated.

Secondly, in response to Nasqueron, it was me who contacted them rather than the other way round and the reason I wanted my statements was to see how much I had been paying so I could totally it up. It also confirmed when I'd opened the account which was a lot longer than I'd realised.

It's obviously been a little while since my original post but I've received a letter today from Littlewoods (Shop Direct) and they are actually going to refund me the Extra Care Advantage I've paid since I opened the account. There will be interested added aswell. The calculation is in process and the letter did state that it could be up to 28 days before I receive the refund. They have confirmed I'm due the refund and the case is now closed.

Between my last post and this one I did speak to a guy from the department that deals with PPI claims and he asked a handful of questions. These were basic confirmations like address, dob, employment status at the time of opening the account etc.

All in all it's been a bit of a lengthy process but the outcome is what I was hoping for. It was definitely worth pursuing.
  • Vikki8806
    Options
    Hi Scruffyherbert,

Just out of interest did you receive your refund now that the 28 days are up?

I am in the process of a claim and I too have received a letter to say that the refund for PPI, interest and any charges will be calculated and refunded in 28 days.

Would be great to hear your end results.

Thanks in advance
    Vikki ��
  • scruffyherbert
    Options
    Hi Vikki, I did indeed receive a refund. It was £550 so worth all the wait and correspondence with Littlewoods.

I wasn't sure what to expect but it was a nice surprise. Bizarrely enough I received a letter from Shop Direct yesterday saying they were sorry to hear about my concerns and they would investigate for me. Who knows, a double payment ��

Good luck with your situation and I hope there's a payment due to you.
  • Vikki8806
    Options
    Oooh good work �� definitely worth chasing up then. I haven’t received anything as of yet but only had the letter from them last week.

Glad you got good results.
  • Ftba.d
    Ftba.d Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ,

Silly question ... I had a Littlewoods account from 2006-2014. It was called Extra Care Advantage . On the document they sent today they stated my policy was bought in 2006... does this mean I would have been paying it on top of my purchases until I terminated my account in 2014?

This is the letter they sent and the PPI they are acknowledging was bought ...

https://ibb.co/Jdzd2wL
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes it does, it charges on any amount owing after the interest free period
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Ftba.d
    Ftba.d Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for responding -taff!

I think I very rarely let it slip into being past the interest free period so I’m probably about £2 lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure