Job Advertisment - ''No school leavers''

I passed the local sandwich shop this morning and on the door is a job advertisment stating they are looking for staff to work 0930 - 1330, however at the bottom it says ''no school leavers''

Is this legal? Ive looked it up on the web but cant find anything.

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Possible age discrimination, but then older workers have always been discriminated against, and given the attitude of many school leavers you can't entirely blame the advertiser.

The most flagrant I saw was a card in a window advertising for an attractive female secretary for local businessman.
    Been away for a while.
  • School leavers are going to be 19 or under and excluding them from a job like this would need to be justified if it is to avoid being age discrimination and therefore illegal. The company should be asked for the grounds for excluding school leavers from applying.

Have seen Running Horse's comment and assume they would also agree that a general statement that "they won't have the right attitude" would not be such justifibale grounds.
  • They would need to say something along the lines of "relevant experience required". Should exclude most school leavers.
    Been away for a while.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Local radio here were advertising for energetic and lively people for their street team. I think even this counts for ageism under the way the legislation operates.

What they really meant was: hotties to hand out leaflets because sex sells and we LOVE interviewing attractive young girls because we are sad old gits who don't get to talk to girls otherwise.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    That's definitely illegal, unless there's a good reason for the person to be 18+ such as serving alcohol and then it must say the Act under which it is protected
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They would need to say something along the lines of "relevant experience required". Should exclude most school leavers.

how much "experience"" do you need in washing up and making sandwiches?

No wonder our young people struggle to find work if this is the attitude. Makes me sick.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well, for sandwich making, you'd normally be expected to have the Food Hygiene Certificate for starters I guess.

And possibly Customer Service experience.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, for sandwich making, you'd normally be expected to have the Food Hygiene Certificate for starters I guess.

And possibly Customer Service experience.

Employers usually pay for Food hygiene certs, or at least sponsor it by giving the time off.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can't remember how old you have to be before you can work in an industrial kitchen - which presumably this would be. If it's 16, then I don't think the advertiser has a leg to stand on. If it's 18, then they should give the actual age and quote the legislation, as Gemmzie says.

The way to get round it would be to ask for experience and food hygiene certificate, although I have a feeling that even then you might have to justify WHY the amount of experience you're after is necessary - not 100% sure on that one!

The nit-picker in me would, however, be asking for a definition of a school-leaver. It's practically October, and the most recent cohort of school-leavers finished in July, which is MONTHS ago to a young person. Plus I'm a school-leaver (just not recently). Is it OK to apply if you've been home-edded?

So, if I wanted this job (which I don't), I'd be in there in my most grownup outfit, with a skills-based CV which didn't show my age or when I left school, using my most charming sales manner to try and get it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport