A whole new world, for now

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Plus points are, the ironing has been cleared, laundry has been dried and OH agreed to send two tired shirts to the charity shop. Lots of grocery shopping has been done and the dog and I curled up in front of the first few episodes of the current cold feet. SB also got a few extra points.
    It was such a windy night last night though that it made for a disturbed night. It's currently dry though so fingers crossed it remains so for jog club this evening.

We visited mother yesterday evening, imparted pretty monumental news and were met with nothing! She even subsequently asked how long our dinner would take to cook, ie isn't it time we were leaving. DD even brought the subject up a second time but that was disregarded. We did however confirm that she heard it.
    Today, after a few days' lapse, I will get back on the porridge. Having scored cheap butternut squash, I will also make soup and will get some paperwork up to date. That way, when the masses seek out my services, I'll be totally on top of things and able to respond ;).
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Was missing one ingredient for the soup that I picked up on way back from jog club last night. Soup will be made today. I also have some speculative work to get through and a few emails to issue. It's so so cold though and windy. This is the first autumn / winter when I will be working from home. I'm not sure I can take the cold or afford the heat. While I know that we are fortunate as, apart from the mortgage, we don't have any debt, I am struggling with our lack of funds. OH mentioned, in passing, a promotion opportunity that he ignored as it didn't appeal. I'm annoyed that it wasn't even discussed in advance of closing date as it's something that I have had experience of and wasn't what he assumed. I worry that we don't have an aligned shared money outlook.
    Anyhow, am off to dig out some thermals and to see if I can make it through another cold day.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    As you say you are fortunate just to have the mortgage :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry you are cold. I am feeling it a little too, although not too much. However I made soup today and i had a big bowl this evening :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You're doing well with the jog club inod. I switched the heating on this evening as was feeling the cold as well. Sorry to hear that you're frustrated with OH - hopefully he understands now that money managing is a joint endeavour!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I made the soup. Am not impressed by the flavour though it is a step up from the cheap cauliflower soup. Still a lot to get done on the speculative work but got some positives yesterday. No money but some positives!
    Yesterday DD got some agency work that is continuing today and Friday. Have to say, the good old m&s long sleeved thermal vest worked a treat yesterday. Happily I scored two four packs of these last spring when they were reduced to £4 a pack so that'll be the way forward. Wearing jogging bottoms instead of pj bottoms also happened. It also makes me look less like a crazed escapee if someone calls at the house.

Re my OH, I've had the shared responsibility conversation so many times. He always accepts what I've said, promises things will be different and then does nothing to change. I really don't know what to do. My own money is dwindling and he isn't seeing how much I hate having to ask for money for purchases that we jointly agreed to make. I'm not sure what kind of money tree he thinks is growing in the garden.
    Anyhow, enough whinging. Today I am grateful for
    Opportunities
    Responses
    DS getting sorted with his insurance despite being told a number of lies
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Good to hear that DS is sorted on the bike insurance. And also DD's job - perhaps a little bit of her remuneration will wing your way!
    🌟
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Well, dd paid me £100 that she owes me which was good. Things kinda came to a bit of a head with OH yesterday re withdrawing £20 from pa. He made a casual comment that things aren't so bad that we need it. I then asked what he thought I'd been doing since March for income. Interestingly, he said that he was going to put his extra £500 to the emergency fund but would transfer it to my account instead. Why is he just holding onto it, why not just make the transfer? I'm so fed up with having to do all the juggling. Yes, he upped the amount he lodges to our joint account when I stopped work but it's still down to me to deal with all the bills, etc. I'm worn out by it and the gales blowing last night didn't exactly help. I'm so tired and am due to meet my cancer treatment friend tomorrow for lunch. EverytimE I see her, she comments on how tired I look. Why am I having bad nights now? The last thing I want to do is to worry her.
    Anyhow, today I need to finesse the joint bid being submitted tomorrow. I will also take dd for a physio appointment and will chase up a client. I will also draw down august expenses from my business account as, even though it will nearly deplete the account, I need the money.
    Today I am grateful for
    Two pa surveys yesterday
    OH's family playing ball in one area, it makes him happier
    Physio on the nhs
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Remember how strong you are.
    I am in awe.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    You OH sounds rather like my dad - my mum used to look after all the bills as he didn't have a clue! Hard for you though. Look after yourself and I hope you enjoy lunch with your friend.

SSG x
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts