Spare Tyre - how long can it be used for?

Options

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Why not. The police officers have never heard this before and could use a laugh.

Maybe, but no way of proving it though.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    A full size spare would not have a maximum speed warning sticker attached, e.g. 80km/h or 50 m.p.h.. That picture is a space saver.
    This is Toyota's advice -
    "The compact spare tire The compact spare tire is identified by the label “TEMPORARY USE ONLY” on the tire sidewall. Use the compact spare tire temporarily, and only in an emergency. Make sure to check the tire inflation pressure of the compact spare tire. "(
    Inflation presure is usually 60p.s.i..

I certainly would not be risking a long or motorway journey with that fitted.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A full size spare would not have a maximum speed warning sticker attached, e.g. 80km/h or 50 m.p.h.. That picture is a space saver.
    This is Toyota's advice -
    "The compact spare tire The compact spare tire is identified by the label “TEMPORARY USE ONLY” on the tire sidewall. Use the compact spare tire temporarily, and only in an emergency. Make sure to check the tire inflation pressure of the compact spare tire. "(
    Inflation presure is usually 60p.s.i..

I certainly would not be risking a long or motorway journey with that fitted.

It's not a space saver, just a smaller steel rim.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not a space saver, just a smaller steel rim.
    Exactly. It doesn't match the other side on that end, ergo the only way it's legal is if it's viewed as a space-saver spare. With speed and distance restrictions.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Exactly. It doesn't match the other side on that end, ergo the only way it's legal is if it's viewed as a space-saver spare. With speed and distance restrictions.

Distance won't be an issue as it's a proper rim and tyre, fiestas with steel wheels will have them fitted on all four corners.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    "It's not a space saver, just a smaller steel rim."
    Which is exactly what a space saver is.:rotfl:
    So why does the o.p.'s have a speed restriction sticker attached?
    Also do their securing nuts/bolt have dual purpose fitting to cater for the taper of the steel wheel stud/bolt holes?
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    ....So if you get stopped and asked when you put it on, tell them about half hour ago and you're on the way to the hospital where your wife is giving birth to you first born. Or something along them lines.
    I hope that is a joke as it is very poor advice.

If the police are in a bad mood, that could lead to all sorts of problems. It is just not worth taking the risk of lying when telling the truth will probably just result in being advised to drive carefully and get the tyre replaced as soon as possible.

Being pleasant, cooperative and telling the truth is usually the best policy when dealing with the Police.
    Robisere wrote: »
    ...This, though, is really, really bad advice, ignore it:.....
    Agreed, it is very poor advice.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    ... the only way it's legal is if it's viewed as a space-saver spare. With speed and distance restrictions.

With speed restriction (50mph as per construction and use regs) but there's no distance restriction.
  • mrmot
    mrmot Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    Some manufacturers will stick a steel in as the spare if the car originally had alloy wheels and yet it will still have the warning sticker on the wheel (not the tyre), if the tyre size on the spare is the same as on the alloy, then you can use it for however long you want.

For the MOT, tyre sizes need to be same across an axle, however there is not a requirement for the wheel width to be the same.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    mrmot wrote: »
    Some manufacturers will stick a steel in as the spare if the car originally had alloy wheels and yet it will still have the warning sticker on the wheel (not the tyre), if the tyre size on the spare is the same as on the alloy, then you can use it for however long you want.

For the MOT, tyre sizes need to be same across an axle, however there is not a requirement for the wheel width to be the same.

Indeed, but the unsprung weight is different, which means the suspension and handling is adversely affected.

My neighbour has had two space savers fitted on diagonal corners for about 9 months. I don't know where the hell she got a second space saver, but i'm assuming it was cheaper than getting the correct tyres fixed/changed.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure