Partner Rent Disagreement

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In regards to maintenance pot, if for example you had a flat roof that needed replacing that should be your cost alone.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not agree that the amount you'd be asking for in 'rent' goes into a savings pot so if you buy somewhere together in the future he can contribute to a deposit?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    100% agree with him. Nothing to do with him being a user or sponger. It's what anyone in the legal profession would advise. Half of everything apart from mortgage, house improvements and major repairs (to avoid a beneficial interest if you split).

If he wants to save the money he would otherwise be spending on a mortgage or rent, then maybe you can eventually buy together, or he can pay for some nice holidays or whatever.

Of course you don't think you'll split, but you need to go into it with your eyes open in a realistic rather than pessimistic way. I've been divorced twice and have broken up after other long term/serious relationships. You just never know...

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Neither him having a roof over his head for free nor him paying for your asset is a good idea.
    We agreed money that my bf would have spent on rent to be placed in a separate bank account monthly and use it for whatever would benefit both of us ( holidays is the most straightforward option).
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January at 8:41PM
    Options
    I had this conversation with my boyfriend.
    I didn't expect him to pay 'towards the mortgage' but I did ask for us to jointly put into an account a maintenance fee for jobs that may need doing or white goods that may need replacing.
    As he was gaining by paying no rent etc and I still had a mortgage I thought it fair that if anything needed doung/replacing we both should contribute.
    He thought this was unfair as where he rented his rent covered all of this.....
    Needless to say he's a ex now and paying £495 a month to rent a 1 bed flat that he's not looked after and neither has the landlord. On top of paying all the other bills.

I only asked him for £100 a month on top of the usual council tax and bills etc. As I thought that fair.
    And my mortgage will be paid off within 3 years.
    Amazing how he'd pay £495 a month to someone else rather than £100 to me because he thought I'd gain...

What a cheapskate!
    You are definitely better off without him.

I do understand that the house owner shouldn't take rent or mortgage help from a partner to safeguard their investment.
    However I think they law should allow for a lodger type contribution, after all it's the only way you can live for free!!! If you are having sex with the landlord or landlady!!
    But it's not attractive when someone wants to leech of the person with the house & free load!
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Neither him having a roof over his head for free nor him paying for your asset is a good idea.
    We agreed money that my bf would have spent on rent to be placed in a separate bank account monthly and use it for whatever would benefit both of us ( holidays is the most straightforward option).

And that is what you would expect most decent partners to want to do.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Options
    I think the main thing no matter what he'd be paying would be to get something legally drawn up to clarify what he's entitled to in terms of the property etc if we were to split.

It isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's been clearly spelled out in this topic, if you want him to contribute towards the mortgage you have to accept he'll have a benefitical interest in your property should you split. You can't have your cake and eat it as they say.
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Why can't he just be a lodger, so pay a monthly amount that includes all bills except food?

You can't be in a relationship with a lodger because then legally they are considered a partner and the above applies. If you want a lodger then get a lodger.
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    However I think they law should allow for a lodger type contribution, after all it's the only way you can live for free!!!

Well it doesn't. People are being helpful here and despite what some have suggested on here he's actually doing her a favour. She can demand contributions towards her mortgage but if they were to split she could potentially end up paying out more to him than she received.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Simple answer, tell him to buy the house next door. :rotfl:

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    What a cheapskate!
    You are definitely better off without him.

I do understand that the house owner shouldn't take rent or mortgage help from a partner to safeguard their investment.
    However I think they law should allow for a lodger type contribution, after all it's the only way you can live for free!!! If you are having sex with the landlord or landlady!!
    But it's not attractive when someone wants to leech of the person with the house & free load!

Why is he a cheapskate for not wanting to pay her mortgage?

One could equally argue she's looking for a sugar daddy or whatever you want to call it to bank roll her lifestyle.

She's got the mortgage, she's gets the benefit of the equity. If she is struggling with money then why should her boyfriend subsidise her any more then paying his fair share of living costs, that is the extra CT, food, utilities etc?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    On the other hand he said if it was a rented property he would gladly pay half of that, but his issue with contributing towards the mortgage is that it's my house and therefore the mortgage should be up to me.
    Why is he a cheapskate for not wanting to pay her mortgage?

He would be happy to pay towards a landlord's mortgage but he wants to live for free with the person he is in a relationship with?

Very odd logic. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport