Partner Rent Disagreement

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree with krlyr.
    Maybe another payment which will benefit you both could be arranged between you both.
    I know for myself as a homeowner and already lost one property in a relationship breakdown. I would never have anyone pay for any part of my mortgage.
  • BumbleBee11_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can see people's POV. I think the main thing no matter what he'd be paying would be to get something legally drawn up to clarify what he's entitled to in terms of the property etc if we were to split. I also think it's something to consider maybe having him put a little towards or considering repairs and maintenance etc. Some good points here
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will you be matching, in addition to your mortgage payment, what you would ask him to cover repairs and maintenance and what repairs will this cover? Contributing towards replacing the roof wouldn't be fair, replacing washing machine would be.

It could be a pot you both contribute to equally and use with both agreement, and if you separate, you can then divide what's left in two.

That's very different to saying 'give me £100 a month for potential repairs and I'm left to do whatever I want with that money which is now mine.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why can't he just be a lodger, so pay a monthly amount that includes all bills except food?

Work out what lodgers currently pay, then reduce that amount as he will be sharing a room!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • alex_163163
    alex_163163 Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm also with your boyfriend. In fact I am in the exact same position. My boyfriend moved into my flat which i purchased a year before we met.
    He only pays half of utilities, food, etc. He doesn't contribute anything towards the mortgage.
    I took the place on on my own, and I don't feel he should pay towards it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I see where he's coming from, but I just can't get past the feeling that alongside utilities, some sort of rent should be paid for using/living in the property. Paying just a couple of hundred pounds a month for full use of it when I'm paying much more seems bizarre, even though I know long term I benefit because I own it.

Is this a one-off issue or do you have other disagreements about money - who pays for what, etc?

Not seeing eye-to-eye on money can be a real relationship killer.

It could be worth working through a Living Together Agreement. Even if you don't end up making a formal, signed agreement, it will raise issues that are worth discussing before he moves in.

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-make-living-together-agreement
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    He is after a free ride, I would dump him now, believe me, it's a sign of things to come.
    The mortgage is indeed to pay off the house that is your asset but also your home. You are loosing quite a lot in terms of privacy and "space" if he moves in, treat the rent as compensation for that, like a lodger rent.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Depends if you want a partner or a lodger.
  • Vikipollard
    Vikipollard Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    New here, so apologies if wrong area.

I own my own house and my partner and I are discussing him moving in with me. He currently lives with his family paying minimal rent per month. The issue is he said if he moves in he will happily pay half of all council tax, food and utility bills, but disagrees to pay half of the mortgage (which is just over £500pm). His reasoning for this is its my mortgage which is my loan on the house, why should he pay half of a mortgage when in years to come he still won't own any of the property. On the other hand he said if it was a rented property he would gladly pay half of that, but his issue with contributing towards the mortgage is that it's my house and therefore the mortgage should be up to me.

I see where he's coming from, but I just can't get past the feeling that alongside utilities, some sort of rent should be paid for using/living in the property. Paying just a couple of hundred pounds a month for full use of it when I'm paying much more seems bizarre, even though I know long term I benefit because I own it.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Thanks

So he sees no longevity in the relationship, or that you will not marry in the future then? Unless, of course, at that point he's prepared to sign something which says the house is currently valued at X, and if you split up, you are entitled to ALL of that, and anything in excess will be divided between you? After all, YOU will have paid for all of that, alone, so why should he benefit from the start point of 50/50 being applied.

I don't see any mention of him contributing towards the replacement of white goods or furnishings either - all of which he will undoubtedly be using, and inevitably these wear out over time.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Will he be having his own room? If not then you are not running it as a business and therefore you cannot charge him rent. It you want him to pay towards the mortgage then give him a beneficial interest in the property but deciding on his share of the house will involve some complex number crunching!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure