PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What if the home I am buying will be!my main residence?

Options
2»

Comments

• w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    read the SDLT guide rather than the bits and pieces which other websites have in isolation

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-higher-rates-for-purchases-of-additional-residential-properties

companies are at Chapter 5 and question 24 will be relevant!

Thanks I have now read through this. Would there be anything stopping me from moving from property to property renovating them (living in them whilst I renovate them - one at a time). Say I renovated one every few years. Again I am just looking at my options.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:08PM
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    Thanks I have now read through this. Would there be anything stopping me from moving from property to property renovating them (living in them whilst I renovate them - one at a time). Say I renovated one every few years. Again I am just looking at my options.
    if you ONLY own one property at any one time then self evidentially it is your "main" home. Thus each time you sell that and replace it with a new property (to do up) you are replacing your main home with a new main home and thus not liable to the the higher rate SDLT

however the fact you are living in a house owned by your own company opens up huge income tax implications that you have not considered. You'd be taxed on a benefit in kind charge for starters
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    surely you can understand the rules?

if you ONLY own one property at any one time and live in it then self evidentially it is your "main" home. Thus each time you sell that and replace it with a new property (to do up) you are replacing your main home with a new main home and thus not liable to the the higher rate SDLT

there is a remote risk in your stated plan that HMRC may regard you as a (serial) property developer and thus subject to income tax on your profits

Added the missing words to make sense, because there are plenty of posters here who own one property but let that out, and live elsewhere , so it isn’t their “main home”.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:05PM
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Added the missing words to make sense, because there are plenty of posters here who own one property but let that out, and live elsewhere , so it isn’t their “main home”.
    fair enough, however the OP's question that I quoted did specifically state he would be living in each property as his home hence I did not repeat that part, but I've now also coloured it red for the sake of it :)
  • w00519772
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »

Thanks. Say I:

1) Moved to a new city and rented a property
    and
    2) Rented out my property for x years (where x is a number).

and then:

After x years I sold my property. Would I have to pay Capital Gains Tax here on the property I once lived in and then rented out using consent to let and then buy to let.
  • w00519772
    Options
    I was reading this article: https://www.propertytribes.com/ways-landlords-can-avoid-extra-stamp-duty-surcharge-t-127622715.html. I am confused by point seven. Is it implying that if you live in a house (which I have done for five years) and then remortgage as by to let, then you can buy another property without paying the 3%? It seems a bit too good to be true to me. I must of misunderstood.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was reading this article: https://www.propertytribes.com/ways-landlords-can-avoid-extra-stamp-duty-surcharge-t-127622715.html. I am confused by point seven. Is it implying that if you live in a house (which I have done for five years) and then remortgage as by to let, then you can buy another property without paying the 3%? It seems a bit too good to be true to me. I must of misunderstood.
    The link you post is to an article in November 2015, well before the 3% surcharge rules were published in March 2016. You are grasping at straws! No, it does not say what you hope it says.
  • w00519772
    Options
    SDLT_Geek wrote: »
    The link you post is to an article in November 2015, well before the 3% surcharge rules were published in March 2016. You are grasping at straws! No, it does not say what you hope it says.

Well, what does it say then? I am just trying to understand my options - certainly not grasping at straws.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, what does it say then? I am just trying to understand my options - certainly not grasping at straws.
    you were told your options in May 2017. Why are you persisting in reading out of date articles rather than the HMRC info you've been given?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Whatever it says is irrelevant, because it is now out of date information that has been replaced with new rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure