Does John Lewis TV Guarantee start on order or dispatch?

Options
13»

Comments

• sunil237
    sunil237 Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, Thanks for the advice and info. Here's an update of my responses from John Lewis for everyones reference

1. Your guarantee starts from when you receive your order.

2. They do NOT reserve stock.. techinally they do, but warehouse staff don't follow the reservation system so it's not guaranteed.

I was suggested to only reserve for 2-3 months, as they cannot guarantee the stock will be reserved by the warehouse. I've arranged for 2 months from now, and will extend if it seems like it will stay live.

The staff on the phone can check stock levels and next delivery orders for items, and let you know if a product is marked as discontinuing. That will give you an idea if they will have stock for you available.

I got a few different replies from phone staff who have to give on the spot answers, but email staff are spot on with their facts and they are in writing too, so I'd suggest you contact via email.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sunil237 wrote: »
    I was suggested to only reserve for 2-3 months, as they cannot guarantee the stock will be reserved by the warehouse. I've arranged for 2 months from now, and will extend if it seems like it will stay live.
    This seems like a ridiculously long-winded way of purchasing a TV at a reduced price in my opinion.

Why can't you simply have the thing delivered now and store it yourself (in it's original packaging) until you require it in six months?

Surely space can't be at that much of a premium?

Are you really that concerned about "losing" a few months of a five year warranty?

Otherwise, you are reliant on Warehouse staff putting your item aside (for months). That's not something I'd want to risk...
  • sunil237
    sunil237 Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    This seems like a ridiculously long-winded way of purchasing a TV at a reduced price in my opinion.

Why can't you simply have the thing delivered now and store it yourself (in it's original packaging) until you require it in six months?

Surely space can't be at that much of a premium?

Are you really that concerned about "losing" a few months of a five year warranty?

Otherwise, you are reliant on Warehouse staff putting your item aside (for months). That's not something I'd want to risk...

Unfortunately space is very very limited at the moment, and will be for almost 2 months, which is why I wouldn't mind taking the delivery in 2 months time.

I'm happy to lose a few months warranty for getting a good deal. but why lose it if I don't have to? all I need to do now is make sure the tv is in stock and being reordered, and then I can delay the delivery until I get uncomfortable with the stock level, or until I actually need it.

I'm not relying on the warehouse staff to put it aside. I'm relying on myself to check that stock is there, and stock is being ordered.
    dacouch wrote: »

This is what I have gotten John Lewis to price match, thanks though
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not buy it now, test it to make sure its working and put it in storage for the 2 months OR you ask a friend to store it for you.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I foresee a refund and no TV in your future.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I foresee a refund and no TV in your future.

I think that's how most of us see it, but the OP is doing what he thinks best so time will tell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure