Changing to Freeview?

Options
Would love some advice, please.
At present we have Virginmedia TV, Phone (landline) and Broadband. We have been happy with the setup and their customer service has been excellent.
However, as we are near retirement age, we would like to reduce our outgoings and are considering using the Freeview alternative. We already subscribe to Netflix. We have a Samsung Smart TV.
We realise that we would lose quite a lot of channels and would probably need a recorder as we like to watch complete series rather than single episodes.
We need to keep a landline and broadband; we would consider continuing with Virginmedia unless there's a suitable, cheaper alternative.
We know very little about NowTV/Amazon Fire, etc, so would welcome suggestions to help us understand what would be a good way forward for us after our present contract ends in June.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First decide what channels are a must .
    Then find who and how supplied .
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you have a working UHF TV aerial? If no then you'll need one installed.

Where do you live? What transmitter do you receive? That will define what channels you can receive from a terrestrial aerial. { http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ will give you Freeview reception predictions: consumer view = likely channels received; detailed view = more technical data regarding transmitter, pointing direction etc.,.).
  • Annel
    Annel Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, we have a working UHF TV aerial. It needs extending as it serves only the back rooms of the house at present. We have checked the channels we can receive from Emley Moor. I think the only channels we would miss, which we get with Virginmedia, are BT Sport and Eurosport (we are Tour de France fans).
    Looking at the Virgin website, there doesn't appear to be much of a saving if we keep only the landline and broadband!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I binned VM tv and landline last year and have gone BB only. When speaking to them they told me 94% of what I watch is on freeview so it was a no brainer.

I paid £42 for a Youview Humax DTR-T1000 500 GB Digital TV Recorder from ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Youview-Humax-DTR-T1000-500-GB-Digital-TV-Recorder-/182526356957?hash=item2a7f6b2ddd:g:OjoAAOSwB-1YrX~m

so I can record anything I need. I have Amazon Prime (amazing value) and I have never looked back- the whole set up was less than a months bill to VM. Wish I'd done it sooner- save enough each year for two weeks in Turkey.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We manage fine with a Samsung smart TV, Netflix and Freeview.
    Most programmes we want to see but miss are available on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 catchup services, but only for a limited time of course. Do sometimes watch complete seasons of something through Netflix, assuming they have it.
    Not huge sports fans, except for F1 and currently happy watching the highlights of the races not shown live on C4. If/when Sky get total control over F1 TV, I will refuse to pay specifically to watch it, so will become an ex-fan I suppose.
    We have a PVR, but hardly ever use it. Handy for fast-forwarding through the adverts on stuff you have recorded though, and it has DVD player. :)

Play the "I'm thinking of leaving" game with Virgin and see what deal they will give you to stay with just phone and Broadband.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tour de France is on ITV4 (freeview channel 24). Live coverage and highlights.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annel wrote: »

I find the box easier to use than VM, you can also jump forward by a minute at a time so four presses takes you through the ad break in two seconds. The App (iPad linked to box) is great for setting up recordings and gives seven day listings. If I'm honest, I can't fault it, even the online functions such as Now tv are good.
  • Annel
    Annel Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I have now received the DVR T1000 and, as we don't have an aerial for Freeview to our main TV yet (will be fixed before we leave Virginmedia), I have been trying it out on an old TV which we have upstairs. I used a SCART lead as there's no HDMI and it works just fine. Obviously, I can't connect to the Internet.

Another question. When we get Freeview on our main TV, shall we need to buy a new router to replace the one provided by Virgin? If so, any recommendations please?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll need a new router, because Virgin will want theirs back, and it's only good for a cable (Virgin) connection. You'll need to find another ISP (Internet Service Provider), and will be looking for ADSL or Fibre (FTTC, Fibre to the Cabinet).
    The good news, though, is that whoever you get your internet from, will usually provide a free modem/router.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure