Who owns a thread?

Options
2»

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi Mandelbrot

No-one owns a thread. Thread removal requests can be acted on entirely differently depending on why it's been requested.

Sorry, I don't know why your last post was removed. You can email forumteam@ to ask.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 19 April 2017 at 9:02AM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi Mandelbrot

No-one owns a thread. Thread removal requests can be acted on entirely differently depending on why it's been requested.
    Thanks for the response.
    But it doesn't really answer the question posed.

I understand that certain reasons 'given' for thread removal requests would be dealt with differently.

For example, if the request says that they have started a duplicate thread by mistake or where they have posted on the wrong board.
    And the thread at that stage consists of just the initial post.
    In other words, basic 'tidying up' tasks are involved.
    If the thread had had other threads added by other people, I would expect 'merging' or 'moving' by a Board Guide.

I can also understand there will be situations where a requester states that their thread has started a 'flame war' (can't remember what the latest terminology is) and that deletion of the whole thread should happen.
    However, isn't it MSE policy in such a case to just deal with offending posts - having checked of course that they ARE offensive in some way - and leave the rest of the thread alone?

But they weren't the situation I was talking about.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
    If someone starts a thread, and doesn't like it when the subsequent posters disagree (in a non-offensive way) with their viewpoint, is such a thread starter able to have the thread removed by simply requesting that of the Forum Team?
    I would have thought you should be able to answer that, in the case of the scenario I describe.
    For example, if you have ever turned down a request by a thread starter to have a thread removed in those circumstances, that would essentially answer my point.
    If the thread involved was on the Discussion Time board, would that make a difference? (i.e. making deletion of the thread more likely.)
    Sorry, I don't know why your last post was removed. You can email forumteam@ to ask.

Are you no longer a member of the Forum Team? :think:
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi

If the thread were on Discussion Time and had nothing to do with saving money, yes, it would be more likely to be removed but not definitely.

Ultimately every case is different and we can't give an answer that covers every situation.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories