Investments and possibility of war

Options
gazpacho_uk
gazpacho_uk Posts: 241 Forumite
edited 11 April 2017 at 1:38PM in Savings & investments
I do not know if I am being overly concerned when I read the media which seems to suggest we may be heading for war with Russia over the Syria issues.
I do not have a great deal of savings, which is why I am concerned and asking the quesions below.
What would happen with regards to S&S ISAs and cash ISAs if that scenario played out ?
I currently have four cash ISAs and three S&S ISAs with 18K to invest now. I was looking at another S&S ISA, but would that be a sensible mice if a conflict is on the horizon ?
Nobody has a glass ball and I appreciate any comments would purly be personal thoughts on the subject.
The bottom line is where would my savings be safe (can they be safe ?) in the event of a conflict ?

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why have you got so many ISAs?
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Why have you got so many ISAs?
    Built up over the years. Max out each year if I can
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If we're talking nuclear war then your savings will be incinerated whether they are in or out of an ISA, so it hardly matters. If we're talking more chucking missiles at a country thousands of miles away, then nothing, other than normal fluctuations in the stockmarket.
    Built up over the years. Max out each year if I can

Why open an entirely new S&S ISA instead of adding to the existing one? Why not transfer the old cash ISAs to the new one assuming they pay more?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy arms dealers!
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buy arms dealers!
    I was just going to say BAE and General Dynamics might be a good bet!
  • gazpacho_uk
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    If we're talking nuclear war then your savings will be incinerated whether they are in or out of an ISA, so it hardly matters. If we're talking more chucking missiles at a country thousands of miles away, then nothing, other than normal fluctuations in the stockmarket.

Why open an entirely new S&S ISA instead of adding to the existing one? Why not transfer the old cash ISAs to the new one assuming they pay more?

Lets hope its just chucking missiles at each other!
    I am clearly an amateur when it comes to saving. I basically aim to invest the maximum each year into the ISA and then start over the next year. Sometimes I have a lump sum to invest, but mainly it is monthly deposits.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I thought all-out war with Russia was on the horizon I'd be investing all my savings in tinned food, guns, Geiger counters and gas masks. Oh and some property in a remote corner of the world (maybe Pitcairn Island), and a means of getting to it.

Stocks and shares ISAa, cash ISAs and indeed cash under the bed would all be pretty poor investments in that scenario (though I suppose physical cash would be handy for lighting fires, at least)

OTOH if I was envisaging a few bombs in Syria I wouldn't alter my investment strategy at all - that sort of thing is just noise in the grand scheme of things.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One word, New Zealand.

Backwater no more.

http://www.rollingstones.com/2014/04/15/the-rolling-stones-confirm-rescheduled-australia-new-zealand-dates/

Who is going to bomb New Zealand? :D
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    South Africans sick of being mistaken for Kiwis? :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Too much planet earth bias i think...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts