PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Need a lowdown on good vs bad areas of Blackpool now

Options
cashmonger
cashmonger Posts: 411 Forumite
edited 6 April 2017 at 7:03PM in House buying, renting & selling
Their reddit is abandoned so can't get advice from there :(. Not sure where else to get local knowledge other than here.

It seems like I could rent a place more easily there than hull. I don't mind the chavviness. I love chavs. Good honest (non)working folks.

I don't mind it being close to the rowdyness just far enough away that it's not on my doorstep.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Near to Stanley Park. Whitegate Drive radiating outwards, really.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • cashmonger
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Near to Stanley Park. Whitegate Drive radiating outwards, really.

Hold on, those are the areas you recomend as good or the ones you advise I avoid?
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good area of Blackpool is anywhere at outside a 30 mile radius
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Good!

The worst bit is off Central Drive, but do you really have to live there? It isn't prosperous, a lot of work is seasonal. It's very cheap to live there for good reason.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you just picking areas of the country at random? Currently living in Manchester, last week looking at Hull, now Blackpool? I therefore assume you don't work, but surely must have family/friends/links to different areas?

Sorry, it's just starting to sound a bit like a wind up....?
  • cashmonger
    edited 7 April 2017 at 9:53AM
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Good!

It isn't prosperous, a lot of work is seasonal. It's very cheap to live there for good reason.

Well work isn't an issue for me. See below.
    Wyndham wrote: »
    Are you just picking areas of the country at random? Currently living in Manchester, last week looking at Hull, now Blackpool? I therefore assume you don't work, but surely must have family/friends/links to different areas?

Sorry, it's just starting to sound a bit like a wind up....?

Yes I am picking areas at random so what?

I work from home on the internet so am not geographically tied by my work like you mere mortals. As long as I have good internet connection I could work anywhere in the world I so chose.

So rent prices are the main factor currently so I could save money to put back into my business and/or save up.

I would not want to be burgled though which is one thing that concerns me about blackpool since it is said to be so deprived.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    If I could work anywhere in the world, I certainly wouldn't choose Hull or Blackpool. I presume that you plan to leave the house at some point.

There are infinitely more beautiful places on the planet that will cost less. If your main concern is budgetry, then I'd widen your horizons.

Blackpool seems to be the place people go when all hope is lost.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cashmonger wrote: »
    Well work isn't an issue for me. See below.

Yes I am picking areas at random so what?

I work from home on the internet so am not geographically tied by my work like you mere mortals. As long as I have good internet connection I could work anywhere in the world I so chose.

So rent prices are the main factor.

"Mere mortals"... OK... I see how this is going to go....

If rent prices are the main factor, there are some places in the world where they are very cheap indeed.... if the world is your oyster, then you can look beyond the north of England and get a very good deal, I'm sure!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cashmonger wrote: »
    am not geographically tied by my work like you mere mortals.

Mate, if you're looking at places like Hull, Blackpool and whatever other armpit of a northern town you set upon next week, then I can assure you; you are very, very mortal.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Options
    I think theres a certain amount of tongue in cheek from the OP here.

As for good areas in blackpool, youll need to be on the edges. Singleton, kirkham, lytham and poulton are quite nice areas just outside. Youll probably pay more of the premium though.

Some of the houses in blackpool are amazing, huge houses for not much money but there is reasons for that.

It sounds like you want cheap as possible accomodation? Why dont you look at non conventional living arrangements. (ie living in a static home, canal boat, any boat, tiny house etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure