PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Comments

• Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Seriously now, you can use the chestnuts in a casserole, especially a venison one, although it's getting a bit warm for casseroles now.
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    I usually make lemon curd with egg yolks. Doesn't take long and is fantastic as a cake filling or just on bread

My guys love leon curd .. can I ask how to make it please .. I can see im going to be one very popular mam lol
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    My guys love leon curd .. can I ask how to make it please .. I can see im going to be one very popular mam lol
    I don't have my mother's recipe I'm afraid and I've never made it myself. From what I recall, Nigel Slater's recipe looks like how my mother made it, except she used a double saucepan rather than a bowl over a saucepan. Anyway, I'm sure it will be a good recipe. Let us know if you make it and what it's like. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/07/nigel-slater-lemon-curd-recipes
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 May 2017 at 3:56PM
    I hope that it helps for you Lame Wolf. I don't want to be accused of giving medical advice but I've been having trouble with wearing my contact lenses recently and I really sympathise with you having dry eyes all of the time.
    PS. The lemon juice is just my way of adding some vitamin C to my diet.:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,658 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 2 May 2017 at 8:27PM
    I use bread slowly so put loaves into the freezer. I use it for poached egg on toast in the morning but don't like the enders for toast. I've recently noticed that I have quite a collection of enders building up in the freezer. I have about 20 slices now :eek:

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with them. I'm loathed to throw them out.

Turn them into garlic croutons. They're great for garnishing soups, sprinkling over mixed salads to add a crunchy texture, or just to eat as snacks instead of crisps.

Slice all the crust ends into thin strips then cut crossways to turn them into small cubes.
    Finely chop several cloves of garlic.
    Put chopped garlic into a big bowl or saucepan and add a dollop of olive oil or sunflower oil. (Amount of oil will depend on how many bread cubes you have).
    Add the bread cubes., stir around gently until they're lightly coated in oil.
    Spread out flat on a baking tray, sprinkle with a little salt and cook for 10-15 minutes in a hot oven until crispy.
    Store in an airtight container.

If you don't like garlic, just coat the bread cubes with oil and omit the garlic but they won,t be as tasty! You could also dust a very light sprinkling of dried herbs to the cubes before putting in the oven.
  • The hairy bikers done a chestnut and mushroom pie on their comfort food series. The recipe is on the BBC good food site still. I've not made the pie, but that pastry they use is out of this world ( I use it on steak pie)

Ricotta, cheesecake or pasta sauce base

The gherkins, Jamie uses them in stroganoff

No idea for coconut powder, perhaps in a Thai curry
  • kaz13
    kaz13 Posts: 35 Forumite
    My friend has given me 5 x 'pots of joy' cadburys chocolate caramel mousse, they are a few days out of date, it taste fine. I've tipped it all in a tub together In the fridge, as neither my husband or I like eating it as a mousse.
    So I'm wondering what I can do with it ? Any suggestions
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,658 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    kaz13 wrote: »
    My friend has given me 5 x 'pots of joy' cadburys chocolate caramel mousse, they are a few days out of date, it taste fine. I've tipped it all in a tub together In the fridge, as neither my husband or I like eating it as a mousse.
    So I'm wondering what I can do with it ? Any suggestions

Would you like the texture any better if you froze it and ate it as a type of ice cream? Or perhaps trying to whip it up until it's more liquid and pouring it over ice cream or some kind of milk based dish like semolina?
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    I have tried Nargleblast's chocolates, made with 2 tbsps coconut oil, 2 tbsps honey, melted together in a pan, with vanilla essence and 5 tbsps cocoa beaten in. They set very well, to a firm fudge consistency. I have deep silicone ice cube trays so got 6 chocolates out of this.

Four left, I ate two smaller ones - and gosh, they are lovely.
    They are so much more than the sum of their parts. If you don't like dark chocolate you really won't like these. I far prefer dark chocolate so was in a minor heaven.
    I will make these with my teenage grandchildren who still don't mind cooking with their Nan, and probably double the quantity for them. For myself the smaller quantity as stated really will be enough, I didn't see how it could be initially, but they are so rich.
    Really worth a go. Thanks again, Nargleblast.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I plan on trying those chocolates too this weekend :D
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.