PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options
Hello all

I am totally prepared for this idea to sink like a lead brick :) but I wonder if there is a place for a thread where those of us that are being thrifty with our groceries for whatever reason, challenge, or just because, can ask for suggestions of things to do with our unloved ingredients. You know, that dusty packet of dried-unsulphered-unicorn-snow-berries of whatever it was we thought was a good idea to purchase for that amazing looking dish you saw in the Sunday paper 'lifestyle' (cringe!) supplement, never did use and now languishes at the back of the cupboard along with a pot of fenugreek from 1992.

There are some fantastic, thrifty, family cooks on here and I for one would love to tap into some of your knowledge and experience. I think I do pretty well on turning empty cupboards into meals, choosing value ingredients with a multitude of purposes; but I am human, and I am of the generation where "home economics" consisted of making fairy cakes and mini pizzas for a couple of weeks. Therefore I have unloved packets of stuff, they are always there on the top shelf (where little me can't reach), and they are never destined to find a use but I can't bring myself to throw away (been too poor, too many times for that!).

In the interests of trying to make this work; my first kitchen cupboard bugbear is a bag of linseeds. It is a big bag, I could add a few to muesli, on the occasions we buy muesli, but that alone isn't going to get rid of my linseed problem! Any suggestions please?
Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great idea for a thread.

You can add it to the top of bread...this is only useful if you make your own bread though : )

How about mixing it into a crumble topping, or into oaty biscuits?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Grind them up and add a spoonful to whatever cereal you like (porridge being the easiest 'carrier') linseeds are said to improve digestive health and may help lower cholesterol. You could also add a spoonful to any cake/bread/scones etc. that you make to improve health benefits without them being too noticeable. Shouldn't take you long to work your way through a bag pet!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Send them to me :) I grind them and put a dessert spoon full in my porridge or smoothie every day.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can i join in? I have 2 jars of tahini that need using up and i only ever use small amounts making humous. Any good ideas for other uses?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can make a really nice salad dressing with Tahini I'll look in my books and see if I can find it, I know there's a lovely one in one of the Hugh FW books (the vegetable one I think) that works really well with chick peas and rice!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great thread
    Tahini - dilute and brush on top of a crusty loaf (HM or bought) pop in a hot oven for 5 mins. Gives it that lovely "tiger bread" taste. Or add a tsp or so to Chinese dishes instead of sesame oil.

Linseeds - I ended up giving my bag to the birds :o (they were OOD by 2 years)

Coarse ground yellow corn meal - I've used it for cornbread and polenta type mush. But it is a massive bag so any other suggestions would be welcome
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    In a weak-willed moment I bought a dozen tins of Epicure Puy Lentils at quite a bargainous price. My intention was to transform them into something resembling Merchant Gourmet puy lentils in tomato and basil. I love these but won't pay the silly price asked for them. After two attempts I admitted defeat and 10 tins are still languishing in the cupboard. Any idea of anything exciting I can do with them, other than throwing them in soups or stews?
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    In a weak-willed moment I bought a dozen tins of Epicure Puy Lentils at quite a bargainous price. My intention was to transform them into something resembling Merchant Gourmet puy lentils in tomato and basil. I love these but won't pay the silly price asked for them. After two attempts I admitted defeat and 10 tins are still languishing in the cupboard. Any idea of anything exciting I can do with them, other than throwing them in soups or stews?

fry onions, add breadcrumbs lentils and soy sauce, bake in the oven for a bit - and you have a tasty lentil pate. chuck in any curly mushrooms or carrots
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

They make a tasty salad mixed with a dressing of garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil and crumbled goat or feta cheese. It works best if made the day before so the lentils can absorb the flavours
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure