PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I use bread slowly so put loaves into the freezer. I use it for poached egg on toast in the morning but don't like the enders for toast. I've recently noticed that I have quite a collection of enders building up in the freezer. I have about 20 slices now :eek:

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with them. I'm loathed to throw them out.

Bread and tomato soup:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/bread-and-tomato-soup-pappa-al-pomodoro/

Or ribollita:
    https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/ribollita

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/my-favourite-ribollita-la-mia-ribollita-preferita/
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Linseed is in my omega seed mix I buy, I use them in yoghurt and sprinkled on salad, I don't crush etc. But then it's a good source of fibre/roughage. Good if you can't stomach normal fibre in wheat etc.:rotfl:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably not as obscure as some things on here, but I have a jar of Genovese Basil Pesto that we got in a gift food hamper some time ago. I think the BB is summer 2015:o Since then we have had one of our household become vegetarian, so I'm sure it can be used up, I just don't know what to do with it.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stir the pesto into pasta. If you don't want it quite as strong then mix in some yogurt - goes well on pasta or baked potatoes.

I've just found a jar of ground rice. I think I got it for making shortbread - but I don't bake as my current oven is no good for it, so need to think of other ways of using it up.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Stir the pesto into pasta. If you don't want it quite as strong then mix in some yogurt - goes well on pasta or baked potatoes.

I've just found a jar of ground rice. I think I got it for making shortbread - but I don't bake as my current oven is no good for it, so need to think of other ways of using it up.
    Thanks. There's a recipe here for Ground rice pudding.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/ground-rice-pudding-recipe
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »

If its BB date is nearly two years go I would probably throw it away but that's just me - it's probably still ok.

When I was a child my mother used to make ground rice pudding, which we loved. Funnily enough I spotted some Whitworth's ground rice in the supermarket a couple of weeks ago and felt all nostalgic so bought a packet. I haven't made a pudding yet and don't have my mother's recipe but I think it was just the rice with milk and sugar.

The recipe on the packet just has these ingredients. It says for 4 servings stir together 100g of ground rice and 1.2 litres of milk. (:eek: I'm sure my mother didn't use that much - she only bought 1 pint a day for the four of us for everything. :rotfl:) Bring to the boil, stirring continuously for 3 minutes and then add 25g of sugar. Transfer to a baking dish and cook for 30 mins until a skin has formed.

My mother didn't bake it in the oven she did it in a saucepan on the hob and the pack also says you can do this but you boll it gently for 10 minutes instead of 3, adding the sugar at the end.

I recall it being simple but absolutely delicious so perhaps you could give it a try and let us know what you think. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Excuse me butting in - ground rice pudding is even better with a desertspoon of cocoa powder bunged in - and I didn't know you put it in the oven, I've always cooked it in the hob and let it bubble for a couple of minutes to cook the rice. It spits all over the place and you need to stir it while boiling so it doesn't set to bottom, but it's worth the effort :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can you make this with crusts? Whenever I make breadcrumbs, I cut off the custs and chuck them out for the birds. Maybe I just have snobby breadcrumb recipes.

I don't eat bread but DD has three teenage boys at home after school who like cheese toasties and I use one end of bread,and one normal slice to use up their crusts. They use at least a loaf a day as a rule as they all take packed lunches for mid-day, so I use as much as I can for their after school snacks, or with a sharp knife slice the very thick crusts into two slices ��
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions for ground rice - I'm hoping not to have to turn it into pudding, as I don't really need to eat puddings... :)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 April 2017 at 4:49PM
    Options
    I grew up fearing bread crusts -.

were you worried you'd have curly hair? :D
    I used to get told "you'll never get curls if you don't eat your crusts"

GROUND RICE - shortbread.... http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usrecipes/shortbread/index.html

BASIL PESTO - stir into pizza topping or a ragu

CORNMEAL - I roll my par-boiled potatoes in semolina & paprika before roasting. I think cornmeal would probably be very similar & gie a bit of crunch too.

BREAD CRUSTS - bread sauce; or as others have said breadcrumbs which are also good to top all sorts of gratins & cauliflower cheese etc; or cubed and sprayed with a little oil to make a topping instead of a crumble - mix with sugar for a sweet one, mix with herbs or seasoning of choice to make savoury.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure