PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Use instead of frozen peas to soothe the bruise next time Bonnie gives you a "Staffie kiss"? :D
    I'll get my coat.......

Lol :rotfl:You should see my bruises where she stands on me! Her little feet kill :rotfl: ps she's 8 months today :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    I got some great books for my birthday, which may help people with ideas of how to reduce waste. They are 'My Zero Waste Kitchen' and 'River Cottage Love Your Leftovers' which show you how to use pretty much everything, including vegetable peel soup which I have made and tasted fine :)

I know you MSE-ers probably would know all the stuff they recommend but if you are relatively new to things like me then they are good books.

Never too old to pick up a few new tips and My Zero Waste Kitchen is available on Am@zon at a good price, I just bought it.

It will be with me tomorrow as I have Am@zon Prime for free speedy delivery, just a couple of dozen purchases a year and it pays for itself. I can order stuff for friends and family with it too. DGD takes advantage of it quite often.
    The book was partially paid for with an Am@zon gift card earned by doing surveys.

I'm sure I have a cupboard - or fridge - bugbear or two somewhere.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Lol :rotfl:You should see my bruises where she stands on me! Her little feet kill :rotfl: ps she's 8 months today :)
    Awww, bless her. :heart: What does Buddy think of her? :o
    I've had mahoosive bruises inflicted by a little Westie - but then, I do bruise very easily. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Awww, bless her. :heart: What does Buddy think of her? :o
    I've had mahoosive bruises inflicted by a little Westie - but then, I do bruise very easily. :D

He loves her, but is such a soft old boy, n very tolerant ;) I bruise easily too hun.I look like i've been battered at the mo :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Puff pastry Cheese & Bacon Wraps- roll 250g in to rectangle, sprinkle with grated cheese , cut in to three pieces widthways , place bacon bits in middle of each, sprinkle on more grated cheese and fold like a wrap. Brush with milk, 20 mins in hot oven until pastry is puffed & golden.
    Not healthy but delicious.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Pink_Giraffe
    Options
    Puff pastry Cheese & Bacon Wraps- roll 250g in to rectangle, sprinkle with grated cheese , cut in to three pieces widthways , place bacon bits in middle of each, sprinkle on more grated cheese and fold like a wrap. Brush with milk, 20 mins in hot oven until pastry is puffed & golden.
    Not healthy but delicious.

That sounds sooo good! My waistline will not thank you for this :rotfl:
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Egg yolks ?

I use loads of egg whites in my baking/cooking as I like to make low ww pointed foods for myself and portion out but I always have egg yolks left.

I normally try to batch book on a day im making omelettes so I can add them to the families omelettes as I hate waste or I use them added into my yorksgire pudding mix.

any other ideas ?

Thanks a mill
    Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    I usually make lemon curd with egg yolks. Doesn't take long and is fantastic as a cake filling or just on bread
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    I usually make lemon curd with egg yolks. Doesn't take long and is fantastic as a cake filling or just on bread
    Home made lemon curd is lovely. My mother used to make it when I was a child. We would spread it on bread, as you suggest, but she also made little tarts with it, which were really nice too.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have just got a book to review from Amazon that mentions preserving egg yolks in a salt and sugar mixture for four days until the solidify.
    Apparently they can then be grated and used in a similar way to Parmesan cheese.
    Now that is different.
    Once I have reviewed the book I will pop up a link with some further thoughts.

Looking in my own cupboard, I have two jars of coconut oil. I was sent a premium one to review and then Aldi started selling it.
    I don't have hair or skin that will benefit from it as a beauty treatment.
    Any ideas other than just using it for frying?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure