How to get rid of moths

I have recently moved into a house ( they wasn't that clean or tidy) and have had moths appear since we moved in. Any ideas hiw to get rid of that please.

Replies

• Hi,

We had the same problem when moving into our home.

It takes a bit of time but we found regular hoovering (including moving furniture) helped. We also put a few drops of lavender essential oil on cloths and then placed them in wardrobes, drawers and had others dotted about in the open.

Hope this helps.
  • Ooo thanks. I might try the lavender ( bloody hate it myself ��)
  • If the carpets are wool or a wool mix you may have an uphill task, as most of the eggs will be laid there. You need to kill as many as you can as early as you can to avoid newly hatched moths laying eggs of their own.
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Forumite
    I have recently moved into a house ( they wasn't that clean or tidy) and have had moths appear since we moved in. Any ideas hiw to get rid of that please.
    Carpet or clothes (they are a different moth, though they look more or less the same)?
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Those ultraviolet light insect traps work well for moths. Something like

http://www.sportsdirect.com/mega-value-insect-killer-966357
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Those ultraviolet light insect traps work well for moths.
    Clothes moths aren't attracted to light like other moths, so that probably wouldn't work in this case.
  • starving_artiststarving_artist Forumite
    817 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've found pheromone traps like these have worked quite well for clothes (not all moths are attracted to them though). You do have to be vigilant though.
  • ukjoelukjoel Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    We had them here and only discovered when we were clearing stuff from under the bed and there was a square foot of carpet missing.

It looks like they had been going strong under the bed for a while, and the carpet is trashed but not visible.

We went nuclear on them and hoovered the room to an inch of its life, then put some very strong powder (we bought some online and then realised the key ingredient was also in a Homebases own brand ant powder so bought some of those.

We also sprayed and then used a couple of gas bombs in the room while taping up the door.

The whole process meant the room was not habitable for about a week but this was 2 years ago and despite having traps out with pheromone we haven't seen a single moth so fairly sure its worked.

I would check under all the furniture of any room you see them in and around the edges of the skirting board looking for tiny rice size (what look like pieces of paper)

Know your enemy, then destroy it.
  • SnakeySnakey Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    I had them last year. They just appeared one day, a million of them, from nowhere! I traced them back to an old bit of carpet which had previously been underneath a built-in wardrobe, but by then they were fluttering around all over the place.

It was fairly easy to just chuck that bit of the carpet out, since it didn't match the rest of the room anyway, and hoover the bare floor a few times, but with anything that's got a hatching/dormant cycle you never know whether "no longer seeing any" means they're gone for good.

It's getting to about the time I saw them last year so I'm waiting with trepidation to see whether they spent the time from hatching to discovery laying their eggs in my clothes, furniture, other carpets etc etc.
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Biggles wrote: »
    Clothes moths aren't attracted to light like other moths, so that probably wouldn't work in this case.

Ah apologies if I've given duff info. I had a minor infestation of small moths once which were attracted to UV -- each morning the UV trap was covered in dead moths. I assumed these were the same type.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals