Need advice about BT

My broadband suddenly went off five days ago and I have obviously had no internet or wifi since. I also cannot use my home phone as the line is now dead. I called BT to be told an engineer would be sent out the following day.

I waited in all day and nobody showed up so I called back to be told they would send another engineer out the following day and the same thing happened. Nobody came. I then called back and was told three different things by the same person.. the engineer was never booked, he was booked but they had a technical issues and finally somebody called my mobile (No missed calls or voicemail on my phone) and they could not reach me.

I once again waited in all day today and same story. Three days of work missed for nothing. I called them back today to be told the fault will be fixed but it is going to take a further 10 days. That would take it up to 15 days with no internet. I always pay my bill on time and I actually paid it the day it went off.

I called them today to ask to be put through so I could cut them off and they hung up on me, called back and they have offered me £30 compensation for my three days of missed work but to get it I would need to sign up to a new contract with them and buy a new hub. They said there is no point in leaving them for someone else as the fault would go with us.

I have to call them back later with an answer but as i have never been without my service for so long I have no idea if I should be accepting their offer. Does the compensation offer sound right for the amount of time off work and 15 days of no service?

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not quite the same thing, but the principle applies equally.

Failed Delivery? Fight Back! 'If I waste a day, you'll pay'
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Make sure everybody you know and everybody who ever asks know how utterly incompetent BT are. I had issues exactly the same as you and they were absolutely bl**dy useless. I make sure everyone knows at every possible opportunity.

If you have virgin broadband in your area then just switch today, if you don't then get on the phone and stay on the phone until it's resolved, and refuse to leave until you've spoken to someone with a semblance of a brain.
    Pants
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ring up and when asked what todays call is about just say complaint.....

different team and much better than the Broadband team....
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I would be very unhappy with this poor service and would not pay for a new router and sign a new contract. If I was you, I would now escalate it to the CEO via email as although you will not get a direct response from them, it is usually passed to a higher executive team who will often have more "clout" to deal with issues. The CEOs email is at the bottom of the article.
    http://www.btcomplaint.com/2016/10/the-ceo-of-bt-wants-to-hear-your-complaints/
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,030 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    susancs wrote: »
    I would be very unhappy with this poor service and would not pay for a new router and sign a new contract. If I was you, I would now escalate it to the CEO via email as although you will not get a direct response from them, it is usually passed to a higher executive team who will often have more "clout" to deal with issues. The CEOs email is at the bottom of the article.
    http://www.btcomplaint.com/2016/10/the-ceo-of-bt-wants-to-hear-your-complaints/

I emailed Gavin Patterson at 10.45pm on Hogmanay 2015 (on that email address) to my utter surprise he replied almost immediately and we were corresponding until well after the bells. The next day I got an email from one of his executive staff (on New Years Day) and things soon got sorted.

So, it works! He does actually care.
  • if that were me i would ditch them, personally i am with sky fibre no issues at all. Can i ask when you do have internet do bt still cap speeds at peak times?
  • Thank you all. I will send an email tomorrow because calling them is getting nowhere at all. Each time we do speak to someone the story changes. One person says one thing, another person says another.

Notrichatall: yes they do. We are supposed to get 50mb download speed. We are lucky to get 6mb.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    (Can i ask when you do have internet do bt still cap speeds at peak times? )

CAP no definitely not .
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We are supposed to get 50mb download speed.

Are you sure about that?

They tend to have the words 'up to' in there somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure