We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine

Options
Amy.B_3
Amy.B_3 Posts: 54 Forumite
Can imagine this is going to catch a lot of people out! https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/you-could-soon-be-slapped-with-a-70-fine-for-parking-on-the-kerb

Probably see this being the same as the mobile phone ban when they caught hundreds in their first week I think it was.

Does this mean though, more cars park on the road making them undriveable? Plenty of roads in the UK are incredibly narrow as it is.

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ... if it ever happens.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is what they are doing.
    Banning home owners / tenants from making a new drive or hard standing on your own property.

Penalties for parking off road on council land including pavements or verges.

Residents parking permits costing on average £700 a year to park on any street.

It is a win win for the councils, you either pay for your permit or pay a £70 penalty each and every day.

It all there, you just have to join the dots up to work out where they are going with this.
    Houses with existing drive ways are about to become very popular indeed.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Amy.B_3
    Amy.B_3 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    It all there, you just have to join the dots up to work out where they are going with this.
    Houses with existing drive ways are about to become very popular indeed.

Yeah exactly, can see the rise in car parking charges already! Wouldn't surprise me if they're not already preparing for it
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Fines for parking on paths?

Excellent, paths are for people not cars
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Fines for parking on paths?

Excellent, paths are for people not cars
    <nods>
    Bring it on!
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    I saw this posted elsewhere and sums up my view on the subject:-
    Obstructing the highway (the highway includes the pavement) is bad, there is no excuse for it and that is why there is an offence.

Parking on the road in such a way that blocks the road so vehicles cannot get through, is bad.

Parking on the pavement in such a way that blocks the pavement so pedestrians are unable to get through, regardless of the mobility of that pedestrian, is bad.

However, parking on the pavement and obstruction of the pavement are not mutually exclusive (for want of a better phrase).

It is perfectly reasonable to put two wheels up on a pavement in order to prevent obstructing the road, if by doing so, the pavement is not rendered impassable for any pedestrian.

What is the point of legislating to prevent vehicles from doing something that is neither a danger, hindrance nor preventing the enjoyment of free passage for anyone.

If a vehicle parked on the pavement is obstructing, then the law is already in place to deal with that.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    I saw this posted elsewhere and sums up my view on the subject:-
    Can I just add one thing to that?

The pavement itself.
    Where vehicles cross pavements - to driveways - the kerb must be dropped, and the local authority must do that work either directly or through an authorised contractor. This is, in large part, to ensure that the pavement is adequate for vehicular use. Normal-height kerbs, in particular, are simply not designed for vehicular access.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2017 at 3:07PM
    Options
    The majority of older, residential streets in the UK are simply not wide enough to accommodate full on-street (completely off pavement) parking. Personally I think a bit of common-sense is all that's needed and existing legislation is fine to tackle the problem.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    The majority of older, residential streets in the UK are simply not wide enough to accommodate full on-street parking. Personally I think a bit of common-sense is all that's needed and existing legislation is fine to tackle the problem.

They dont care, they want the money.

Fines are the new taxes and as we all clap and applaud they think of never ending new ways to fine more people.
    Obviously they will start on unpopular causes, then work out how to fine the rest.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's all about the money. Councils will never have enough. Give 'em more and they'll find lots of "worthy" things to spend it on.
    Having said that, people parking in the street is a nightmare in some places. Basically it reduces a lot of streets to one lane.
    It also makes it a nightmare for emergency vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure