We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Considering Getting Married Abroad

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In the other thread you are struggling to rent! I suggest a quick registry office one.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,813 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As you apparently can't even afford the rent on your flat http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5625480, you would be hard pushed to even afford a basic UK registry office wedding
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We got married in Mauritius via Hayes and Jarvis. They arranged all the legal stuff and the things on the day - flowers / cake / meal afterwards / photographer etc. It was great. We would have gone on honeymoon anyway so the cost of a wedding on top wasn't too much more expensive.
    This worked for us as we have a small family and few friends, so never had the worry that it would be expensive for people to come. We had a little barbeque for friends / family when we got back home.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We got married in Mauritius via Hayes and Jarvis. They arranged all the legal stuff and the things on the day - flowers / cake / meal afterwards / photographer etc. It was great. We would have gone on honeymoon anyway so the cost of a wedding on top wasn't too much more expensive.
    This worked for us as we have a small family and few friends, so never had the worry that it would be expensive for people to come. We had a little barbeque for friends / family when we got back home.

But presumably you could afford your rent or mortgage payments.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    tawecdl wrote: »
    I have spoken to my family and they are happy with a party when we get home and it's just our parents and children that will be at the ceremony.

It is the UK business that are the ones blackmailing, charging ridiculous prices just because it's a wedding. Not only that, if our wedding was in this country I would feel more like I am blackmailing them to come as they have less of an excuse to get out of it.

The cost of getting wed in the UK is ridiculous unless you scrimp to the point it's embarrassing and not memorable for my fianc!.

We want a memorable wedding, low cost, parents and children there and then a party for all who want to come when we return home.

I cannot understand why people get suckered into spending over the odds on getting wed in this country paying. I will not be blackmailed into it! I nearly did this year but I feel like a right mug now lol
    Completely agree.
    When my daughter got married, she was looking for transport and the quote she got was £250.
    When I rang and asked for the same journey as a birthday, I was told £150.

I asked why there was a huge difference in prices, and was told "Weddings are charged at higher rates"

Go abroad and pay for family and it still works out cheaper.
    Plus the fact, the whole Church/reception thing is a complete bore for everyone except those immediately involved so you end up paying for people who can't wait to get home.
  • Jessica9989
    Options
    Hello. I'm looking at getting married in Italy next summer.
    I'm trying to keep costs down myself.
    But I'm unsure of how to contact the local town halls!
    I looked into hiring a wedding planner this would be 1200.
    There will only be myself and our children there. Can an6one advise where I can get details of local town halls for weddings? Thanks
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello. I'm looking at getting married in Italy next summer.
    I'm trying to keep costs down myself.
    But I'm unsure of how to contact the local town halls!
    I looked into hiring a wedding planner this would be 1200.
    There will only be myself and our children there. Can an6one advise where I can get details of local town halls for weddings? Thanks

Having your partner there as well would help!
  • Charcoll
    Options
    We got married at sandals in Jamaica which was amazing - if you stay more than 3 nights then you get a free basic wedding
    We combined it with our honeymoon and really enjoyed ourselves - definitely recommend
    They offered a semi wedding planner so we had a couple of calls before we went to plan it all then finalised the cake and last minute details once we got there - think you had to be in the country 48 hours prior to the wedding
  • sx2steph
    sx2steph Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    We got married in Lisbon, in May last year. We did it all ourselves and found a local wedding company to help - she organised a venue, the registrar and gave us three restaurants to choose from. Was absolutely perfect and exactly what we wanted. It can be done - try searching on FB for articles and via google - we only really started in the Jan and it was all smooth sailing on the day.

Cant recommend doing it like this enough! We even took our photographer with (we had a home party) as was cheaper than going with her recommended suppliers.

Good luck - any questions please shout!
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sx2steph wrote: »
    ,,,,,, We did it all ourselves and found a local wedding company to help - ........

so not all yourselves then.... :rotfl:
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure