We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Considering Getting Married Abroad

Options

Comments

• ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Once you have picked your destination , join a local ex pat forum and ask for recommendations of wedding planners, there are a few here in N Cyprus whose direct fees are around 50% of what the travel companies charge for their services.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    My friend got married at sea, on a cruise. Plenty of accommodation for those who wanted to go. She had another party a few weeks after at her local club.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 17,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I suppose that is one good way of keeping the poor relatives and friends away.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I suppose that is one good way of keeping the poor relatives and friends away.
    Not to mention use up the holiday allowances of your other friends and family!

Or.. friends will come at the sacrifice of their own holiday.

It's just a method of pushing cost onto your guests because of your own desire to have a 'memorable' wedding.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Or people will come and turn it into a holiday by staying longer than two days, which is what I did.

Seems that so many people think the wedding is about uncle Tom Cobley and all the relatives the couple never see from one year's end to the next, rather than the couple getting married.

I like Izadora's approach of invite no-one.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Or people will come and turn it into a holiday by staying longer than two days, which is what I did.

Seems that so many people think the wedding is about uncle Tom Cobley and all the relatives the couple never see from one year's end to the next, rather than the couple getting married.

I like Izadora's approach of invite no-one.
    I've seen a few threads on here where a couple have decided to get married abroad and pressure has been put on other family members to attend regardless of cost.

I doubt we'd attend any wedding abroad.
    If we're going to have a holiday, it'll be to where we want to go when we want to go.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I can see the advantages of getting married abroad (more chance of good weather for one!) but when you consider the expense that you're effectively blackmailing family - especially close family - to spend that would outweigh all those advantages for me. I would also be resentful, as a guest, that I was effectively being told when & where I was to have my annual holiday.

Have you also considered that it might mean that relations, who could afford to travel, couldn't for health reasons?

We've only been asked once to go to a wedding abroad and we were really torn between going under pressure & offending the couple that had asked us - as it turned out, circumstances came to our rescue - though I have to say we did breath a huge sigh of relief.

The other thing I would consider, is unless you go for somewhere exclusive ( and hence probably expensive) I would worry that you were on a conveyor belt, churning out married couples.

Why you are considering a wedding abroad now when the original plan was to marry in this country?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    Whereas my recent experience with them has been far from fantastic and I ended up sorting out the wedding direct with the hotel instead. We've got a little under 3 months until we get married so I can't say until then whether or not it all went smoothly but, up to this point, it's been very easy to organise. That's probably partly to do with the fact that we don't want anyone else there so it's only the two of us to worry about though.

I can understand why you're getting married abroad - its the people who get married abroad & then expect everyone to be happy about spending £1,000s on a holiday that they didn't want with people they necessarily wouldn't holiday with
  • xxlouisexx56
    xxlouisexx56 Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I got married in Aruba last year.

6 family members came and our two children. Everyone agreed it was the holiday of a lifetime in a beautiful destination.

We had a party here when we got back.

For us, it was what we wanted. We gave everyone two years notice and said we wouldn't be offended if people chose not to come. Our mums and siblings came with us
  • tawecdl
    tawecdl Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can see the advantages of getting married abroad (more chance of good weather for one!) but when you consider the expense that you're effectively blackmailing family - especially close family - to spend that would outweigh all those advantages for me. I would also be resentful, as a guest, that I was effectively being told when & where I was to have my annual holiday.

Have you also considered that it might mean that relations, who could afford to travel, couldn't for health reasons?

We've only been asked once to go to a wedding abroad and we were really torn between going under pressure & offending the couple that had asked us - as it turned out, circumstances came to our rescue - though I have to say we did breath a huge sigh of relief.

The other thing I would consider, is unless you go for somewhere exclusive ( and hence probably expensive) I would worry that you were on a conveyor belt, churning out married couples.

Why you are considering a wedding abroad now when the original plan was to marry in this country?

I have spoken to my family and they are happy with a party when we get home and it's just our parents and children that will be at the ceremony.

It is the UK business that are the ones blackmailing, charging ridiculous prices just because it's a wedding. Not only that, if our wedding was in this country I would feel more like I am blackmailing them to come as they have less of an excuse to get out of it.

The cost of getting wed in the UK is ridiculous unless you scrimp to the point it's embarrassing and not memorable for my fianc!.

We want a memorable wedding, low cost, parents and children there and then a party for all who want to come when we return home.

I cannot understand why people get suckered into spending over the odds on getting wed in this country paying. I will not be blackmailed into it! I nearly did this year but I feel like a right mug now lol
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport