How to install a dishwasher in this kitchen?

Options
I have just moved into a house (bought) and it did not have a dishwasher in it. The house is 5 years old and apparently there is space where a dishwasher should go and a plug socket behind it. But I can't work out how I would go about installing one.

Here is a photo of the space (the cabinet to the left):

kitchencabinet2.jpg

The dimensions of the space are as follows (cm):

Height to top of bench from the floor: 88
Depth: 51 (59 to back of bench)
Width: 45

I measured the width counting the width of the inside + cabinet side panels since the side panels seem to be their own panel, IE not forming part of the divider to the one next to it. So in theory the whole cabinet should just screw out.

Looking at Currys most slimline dishwashers seem to be around 82 x 45 x 55 (H x W x D) so they should fit nicely.

What about the plinth? Does a dishwasher door open higher than the bottom of the machine or will the plinth have to be chopped up to accommodate the dishwasher? I've never owned a dishwasher and nor have my parents so I'm unsure.

It looks like the dishwasher will have to be facing the kitchen too rather than adding a cupboard door on to it to hide it. I don't have a door the right shape for the space since I'll be removing a cupboard door plus drawer. Buying a new door isn't really an option since the kitchen was installed by the house builders for the previous owners and I have no idea what kind of door to get to match the rest.

Also one other important thing, how much would I be looking at to get this work done for me? I am not confident removing the unit myself (unless it's easy?). Disherwasher installation at Currys for example seems to be £25 which is fine, but that doesn't include removing a unit. If the plinth has to be cut then I definitely can't do it myself.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Assuming that there is a seperate unit behind that left hand door, it should simply be a matter of removing it and slotting the dishwasher in. The plinth will need removing in that section and you will need to add some support for the work top at its left hand end as it will no longer have a unit to sit on.

Unless it already exists you will need some plumbing work for a cold feed and waste outlet.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the width from the wall to the middle of the doors? perhaps a larger appliance would fit.

Plinth will pop off, but will need cut unless it is a built in washer.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • SephirothX
    SephirothX Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The width from the wall to the middle of the doors is 58cm. Full sized dishwashers seem to be about 60cm, which won't fit.

I'm not sure I would need to add support after removing the unit, it seems that piece of wood to the left of the doors has its own vertical panel. It seems the kitchen installers took that into account.

So I guess in terms of furnishing it will just be a case of removing the unit and cutting the plinth where required. I still think I would be better off hiring someone to do the work though.

How much do you think such a job should cost?
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2017 at 12:31AM
    Options
    The drawer front and door could be fixed together with flat metal plates on the rear, to make a full height "door" if you wish to fit an integrated dishwasher.

These cost more, but it may be a sensible investment as freestanding ones are usually deeper and might project forward of the line of the existing cupboard doors and be a nuisance in the sink area. You already have a washing machine that protrudes, so having machines protruding either side of the sink might be awkward, especially at floor level.

I would check the depth of the space and the depth of the various machines before deciding. You will have to take into account any hoses/pipes that may need to be accomodated.
  • SephirothX
    Options
    Yeah I would prefer an integrated one if possible and I'm willing to pay extra. I don't like how the washing machine protrudes.

Fitting the drawer front and door together is a great idea although I suspect there may be a bit of height missing since the top of the door and the bottom of the drawer has a small gap.

I guess I would need a joiner to do the work with the cupboards and then a dishwasher installer to do the rest?
  • Hasbeen
    edited 29 March 2017 at 3:19PM
    Options
    SephirothX wrote: »
    Yeah I would prefer an integrated one if possible and I'm willing to pay extra. I don't like how the washing machine protrudes.

Fitting the drawer front and door together is a great idea although I suspect there may be a bit of height missing since the top of the door and the bottom of the drawer has a small gap.

I guess I would need a joiner to do the work with the cupboards and then a dishwasher installer to do the rest?

For inbuilt washer as below, for free standing miss out door and drawer install.

Take door off one screw per carcase hinge, slide out drawer lift and remove. Pop plinth off, it is usually held by plastic clips around unit legs. Unscrew any screw's through units middle section. Pull out.

Lave small gap between top of door and bottom of drawer so all looks the same.

Get plumber or competent person to install drain and water supply, if not already there.

Get sparky or competent person to install power supply, if not already there.

Get joiner or competent person to fit drawer and door fronts to dishwasher and pop plinth into place.

Leave small gap between top of door and bottom of drawer to match adjacent set up.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

The only issue is matching doors. I just replaced an under counter freezer, but could not get a stand alone one to fit without sticking out beyond the adjacent cupboards so went for an intergarated one. Unfortunately I could not get a matching door, so rather than getting a similar one I went with a flat white gloss door instead, but at least no one has to guess where the freezer is.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our kitchen is old, integrated appliances were not so popular back then.

However, we did not want the dishwasher to stick out so we used a 650mm deep worktop on that side of the kitchen and set the units forward from the wall by 50mm, works well.
  • SephirothX
    Options
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    For inbuilt washer as below, for free standing miss out door and drawer install.

Take door off one screw per carcase hinge, slide out drawer lift and remove. Pop plinth off, it is usually held by plastic clips around unit legs. Unscrew any screw's through units middle section. Pull out.

Lave small gap between top of door and bottom of drawer so all looks the same.

Get plumber or competent person to install drain and water supply, if not already there.

Get sparky or competent person to install power supply, if not already there.

Get joiner or competent person to fit drawer and door fronts to dishwasher and pop plinth into place.

Leave small gap between top of door and bottom of drawer to match adjacent set up.

I think I could probably remove the cupboard myself, it's the sitting together of the door/drawer and doing any required cutting that I would need help with.

I shouldn't need a sparky as a power supply is there, I'm unsure if I even need a plumber. From what I can see there is space for the drain hose to be attached to the waste pipe, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for with regards to the water pipe connection. As the house was built with a dishwasher installation in mind it's likely there will be space.

If I buy a dishwasher from say Currys and take their installation, what exactly do they do in terms of work? IE which parts of this process need to be ready for them? Obviously they won't take the cupboard out, but will they connect it to the water supply and attach the cupboard door to the appliance?
  • Hasbeen
    edited 30 March 2017 at 10:12AM
    Options
    I think I could probably remove the cupboard myself, it's the sitting together of the door/drawer and doing any required cutting that I would need help with.

I shouldn't need a sparky as a power supply is there, I'm unsure if I even need a plumber. From what I can see there is space for the drain hose to be attached to the waste pipe, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for with regards to the water pipe connection. As the house was built with a dishwasher installation in mind it's likely there will be space.

If I buy a dishwasher from say Currys and take their installation, what exactly do they do in terms of work? IE which parts of this process need to be ready for them? Obviously they won't take the cupboard out, but will they connect it to the water supply and attach the cupboard door to the appliance?

Great there is a power supply socket behind? Is there a switch that you can easy turn off once installed?

Under sink as you infer? there should be a tapered spigot with a cap in the end, cap has to be taken off before pushing hose on. If there is a cold water connection already there, washer hose just screws on usually blue valve.

Would really suspect that all has to be ready for curry's just to push appliance in and to connect up, as per fitting door? But ask as it would be a built in appliance you are purchasing.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/knowhow-dishwasher-install-302-commercial.html

If possible post photo of connections under sink:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure