BA - Booking 2 passengers and 1 bag

Options
Does it not occur to BA that occasionally 2 passengers only need to travel with one bag in the hold...?

Just tried to book such a European flight but there is no option to do it - you can either book just the seats or a package with seats, bags and 48hr check-in (but for both passengers). A notice says you can add bags in the 'Manage my booking' section after buying the tickets but you cannot see what the prices will be.

So I booked the seats and then went back in to buy the bag as a separate transaction - a real nuisance - and, of course, then found it was almost the same price as booking the package for both passengers!

A really frustrating and disappointing experience which frankly made Ryanair and EasyJet's booking systems look so much better.

Anyone else had this problem or, perhaps, found a way round it...?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you can make 2 bookings, 1 HBO and 1 with bags. Given that the HBO person is not able to select a seat (or move from the preselected one) this means the person that has the bag can move their seat to sit beside them

My domestic flight today was £10 return more than HBO. To add a bag would be £25 each way so no brainer to just pay the extra £10
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Even if you only wanted one check bag wouldn't it have been cheaper not to book HBO, and get a less restrictive ticket as well?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sharing a bag of M&S Percy pigs bought on board is also not allowed.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    Even if you only wanted one check bag wouldn't it have been cheaper not to book HBO, and get a less restrictive ticket as well?
    No, the way I did it was cheaper - just (by a couple of pounds).

However, my annoyance was at the need to do two separate transactions instead of one, and the fact that I could not find out how much the bag would cost before booking the seats. Not very customer friendly or transparent.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 8:28PM
    Options
    ...Not very customer friendly or transparent.

This passenger was on a full flight to LA without a seat cushion http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1813745-seat-cushion-completely-missing-1.html can it get anymore customer unfriendly?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I could not find out how much the bag would cost before booking the seats..

here is the link here from the BA website https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/extra-overweight-baggage
    If you expand the All Other Flights you will find the costs for baggage on an HBO fare
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    When you are booking a ticket you don't want to start having to search through many pages of the website to find such an item (which varies depending on destination etc) in the small print. Surely the price should be shown on the booking page - just as the other airlines do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure