We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    .......Robinson Way and Sainsbury's are still to come back to us. Robinson way have received our email as they have sent a reply with a request for verification as they didn't have the email address on record.

Robinson Way are collecting one of my debts (for Hoist, originally a Tesco CC debt). I think Rob-Way are just Debt Collectors not debt buyers/owners. They have been the easiest and most helpful of all the companies I have to deal with, whether it's by post or phone. I suspect this debt will turn out to be unenforceable though:j and I'll be quite sad in a way when I no longer have to communicate with them;)

Sorry to hear about your damp problems. We have damp in the house we live in, at least you aren't suffering with it in your only residence. Nice to have relatives who can remedy it too:T. Good Luck:beer:
  • Zerodebtsoon
    Options
    Robinson Way are collecting one of my debts (for Hoist, originally a Tesco CC debt). I think Rob-Way are just Debt Collectors not debt buyers/owners. They have been the easiest and most helpful of all the companies I have to deal with, whether it's by post or phone. I suspect this debt will turn out to be unenforceable though:j and I'll be quite sad in a way when I no longer have to communicate with them;)

Sorry to hear about your damp problems. We have damp in the house we live in, at least you aren't suffering with it in your only residence. Nice to have relatives who can remedy it too:T. Good Luck:beer:

Mine with them is an old Tesco Credit Card one too - will be interesting to see if its enforceable as its pretty old (fingers crossed)

Yes it's a pain but we're lucky and grateful we have people who can at least take a look and give us a realistic price, which we could then use to negotiate a reduction on any offer anyway as don't have the means to spend much at the moment. It'll be easier to get someone in when the house is vacant too. I'm sure the horrendous winter you've had hasn't helped, plus the tenant has been tardy with the rent so I am wondering how much she's heated the place tbh, Roll on the better weather for you!
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    Taken from another DMP thread'Some creditors do not automatically freeze interest - Barclaycard are a prime example. If your payments were over 1% of the outstanding balance they would continue to charge interest. I found that out to my frustration. I had to reduce to token payments to force a default and finally zero interest.'

Advice please....
    First payment to SC in May when DMP kicks in, until then I've been advised to make some form of payment to my creditors. From the info given above it seems a token amount would be beneficial, however others have said a token amount is pointless. Suggestions please.
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,173 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Robinson Way are collecting one of my debts (for Hoist, originally a Tesco CC debt). I think Rob-Way are just Debt Collectors not debt buyers/owners.

Robinson way was bought by hoist a short while ago.

They act as collectors on behalf of Hoist, but are actually one and the same company.

Hoist are debt buyers but manage them internally now, using Robbers way, rather than farming them out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Taken from another DMP thread'Some creditors do not automatically freeze interest - Barclaycard are a prime example. If your payments were over 1% of the outstanding balance they would continue to charge interest. I found that out to my frustration. I had to reduce to token payments to force a default and finally zero interest.'

Advice please....
    First payment to SC in May when DMP kicks in, until then I've been advised to make some form of payment to my creditors. From the info given above it seems a token amount would be beneficial, however others have said a token amount is pointless. Suggestions please.

I continued with minimum payments as long as possible, or at least near minimum payments until SC plan started.
    Though other could difffer in any experienced mse'rs
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Advice please....

I think the first quote was from me :beer: I did drop to token payments, but with hindsight, I agree they are pointless if you are only trying to force defaults and freeze interest, i.e. zero payments for less than a year.

I am still paying token payments only - however, I am now playing the 'long game' which is different. I am now working towards F&Fs. Token payments evidence I am keeping in contact and making efforts to clear my debts. If I didn't pay, or just ignored, creditors for many, many months (which turn into years) then they probably would seek legal action to recover my debts (eventually). So, for me, the long game is keep in touch, pay as little as possible, save as much as possible, and settle debts with greatly reduced F&Fs.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the first quote was from me :beer: I did drop to token payments, but with hindsight, I agree they are pointless if you are only trying to force defaults and freeze interest, i.e. zero payments for less than a year.

I am still paying token payments only - however, I am now playing the 'long game' which is different. I am now working towards F&Fs. Token payments evidence I am keeping in contact and making efforts to clear my debts. If I didn't pay, or just ignored, creditors for many, many months (which turn into years) then they probably would seek legal action to recover my debts (eventually). So, for me, the long game is keep in touch, pay as little as possible, save as much as possible, and settle debts with greatly reduced F&Fs.

Yes we are doing the same now. Although with PR* and L*NK we are currently paying nothing as waiting on CCAs.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Yes we are doing the same now. Although with PR* and L*NK we are currently paying nothing as waiting on CCAs.

Yes, I have two debts I am paying zero (since July 2016) as they have failed to produce CCA documents. I don' pay or contact them anymore - definitely not chasing CCA requests. If they don't produce anything the debts will eventually become statute barred. Long way off I know, but stranger things have happened :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Akelly
    Akelly Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are token payments? I keep seeing people saying this comment and I have no idea what a token payment is.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Akelly wrote: »
    What are token payments? I keep seeing people saying this comment and I have no idea what a token payment is.

Thanks

Basically it's just the minimum possible just to show willing and keep some sort of payment going to your creditors. Most people do token payments of £1 a month to each creditor.

Knowledgeable people such as sourcrates say tokens are pointless as it costs the creditor more in administering them than the money's actually worth to them. Some of us feel better paying something, however little. I'm not aware of creditors refusing the £1 on the basis that it isn't cost effective. Some of us have been paying at that rate for months or even years:j.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport