DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• sunnyskies2
    Options
    Thanks Kram. We’ve sorted an alternative option now so not required. I was told by my broker that they’d be able to get a better rate and confident we’d be able to get a loan, once a year of full payments. Posted really for others who may be wondering about dmp and mortgage as I’d read previously it was nigh on impossible.

Cheers
    LBM - 1 May 2014
  • Billy12345
    Options
    Thanks Kram. We’ve sorted an alternative option now so not required. I was told by my broker that they’d be able to get a better rate and confident we’d be able to get a loan, once a year of full payments. Posted really for others who may be wondering about dmp and mortgage as I’d read previously it was nigh on impossible.

Cheers

Hi sunnyskies2,

I am in a similar situation. There are a few companies out there who will consider a mortgage for someone in a dmp subject to certain conditions, obviously these differ from company to company but they seem to follow that you should be in a dmp for 12 months with no missed or changed payments, not have any defaults within a 3-6 month period and pay either a 15% or 25% deposit. Also the deals on offer are higher interest payments, in the region of 5%.

Ive been in a dmp for just over a year and we are considering selling and moving, the mortgage amount is lower but with the above the monthly payments will not be too much different.

Its a lot better than 12 months ago when no one would touch you for a mortgage if you had a dmp. The market seems to realise dmp's are actually becoming more common for a lot of people but those people, myself included, are managing their dmp's as part of normal life and shouldnt be penalised for addressing their financial issues.

:beer:
  • Danny008
    Options
    Is it possible just to do a rate change with your current lender when on a DMP? We are in the process of starting our DMP and our mortgage rate ended this month but we did a rate change and fixed it for 5 years.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Danny008 wrote: »
    Is it possible just to do a rate change with your current lender when on a DMP? We are in the process of starting our DMP and our mortgage rate ended this month but we did a rate change and fixed it for 5 years.

Good timing as the effects of the DMP probably wouldn't be hitting your credit files as yet.

Every lender will have slightly different policies, but if you apply for a fixed rate deal after a large change in your credit history, it can affect your chances significantly of getting the best rates.

I believe that the worst that can happen is that you'll not be offered one and you'll be bumped to the SVR but nothing worse than that. However in the case of re-mortgaging and moving providers, the rates offered could be significantly worse.

When thinking of a DMP, it is imperative that you seek advice from at least 1, if not more debt charities before you do, especially when you have assets to protect. A DMP is a valuable tool, but there are challenges that must be worked around.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Danny008 wrote: »

I’ve done a recent change fron end 5yr fix to new 2yr fix via existing mtg provider Natwide.
    Online swap existing customers though didn’t change term or amount.
    Simple swap during sc dmp 2012 until 2022.

All existing customer rates aere available to choose from.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Although we welcome any questions DMP related on this thread, for specific mortgage advice, we do have a mortgages board, which can be found here ;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

A little leeway is fine, but try to keep the thread on topic if possible, thanks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • leanne12345
    Options
    Hi everyone, just wondering what an acceptable length of time for a dmp to run generally is? Due to a change in employment I'm having to re-jig our budget and it takes it from 7 to 12 and a half years, and I'm still not convinced that leaves us enough to comfortably live on. Not really sure what to do
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 September 2017 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, just wondering what an acceptable length of time for a dmp to run generally is? Due to a change in employment I'm having to re-jig our budget and it takes it from 7 to 12 and a half years, and I'm still not convinced that leaves us enough to comfortably live on. Not really sure what to do

Hi,

It would depend on your personal circumstances as to which debt solution would be best for you, some would say a 12 year DMP was reasonable, i would say anything over 6 years, then look at other options.

But you may not be able to do that, as i said, its down to personal circumstances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • leanne12345
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

It would depend on your personal circumstances as to which debt solution would be best for you, some would say a 12 year DMP was reasonable, i would say anything over 6 years, then look at other options.

But you may not be able to do that, as i said, its down to personal circumstances.

Ok thank you. I did take a look at other options on the Stepchange website earlier and none seemed to fit so I will crack on with the DMP for now at least.
  • Just_Afloat
    Options

I've been on DMP for over 2 years and just done a new fixed deal with my mortgage provider for a further 5 years at 2%. Just had to lie a little...during phone referral to say my financial situation hadn't changed since my previous deal started 3 years earlier :-)
    LBM August 2015 70K 9 Creditors
    Current Status 43K 8 Creditors
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family