Certification period of electric meter

Options

Comments

• daniboy123
    daniboy123 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK, so the two documents on the governments webpages do not refer to certification periods corresponding to the 1989 electricity act and the 1998 Schedule 4 legislation. In fact they are a revised (due to extensions and reductions of periods through testing) copy of Schedule 4 and the original Schedule 4. Doh! So I'm good until 2023 and I now understand the confusion of my fellow posters.
  • michael8626
    michael8626 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 August 2019 at 7:21PM
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I have been asked to look at a meter that has been giving high readings for the last few years. It’s a YL1 3 phase 4 wire certified 01 84.

Your thoughts? How can I find out when this has been re-certified an why there is no sticker on the meter to that effect?

Hopefully this is an image of the meter

https://postimg.cc/kDp6GZVj

Thanks
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I have been asked to look at a meter that has been giving high readings for the last few years. It’s a YL1 3 phase 4 wire certified 01 84.

Your thoughts? How can I find out when this has been re-certified an why there is no sticker on the meter to that effect?

Hopefully this is an image of the meter

https://postimg.cc/kDp6GZVj

Thanks

The sticker would have been chaged if re-certified.

Where is the meter. Certain meters are very hard to change (farms is one of them).

If you are on the recert required list your supplier will really want it to be changed. Ring them? (you may just get idiots without access to the right data but...).

Cannot read the serial from your pic (too short), so I cannot comment more. But loooks like one I am not familier with anyway!

I can say recert dates for some meters were up to 35 years. So could be good? (brain cannot be bothered with math right now!)
  • michael8626
    michael8626 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 August 2019 at 7:49PM
    Options
    This image from last year is clearer

https://postimg.cc/hQ17X4NN

Schedule 4 says 20 year certification, long-standing eon customer, are they likely to have any details?

It is on part of an old farm, but plenty of space to renew.
  • Carrot007
    Options
    This image from last year is clearer

https://postimg.cc/hQ17X4NN

Schedule 4 says 20 year certification, long-standing eon customer, are they likely to have any details?

As so as I thought then. FARM. (and I'm not saying this applies to you but) meter changer goes out farmer says busy doing stuff. Rinse / Repeat.

(Not in my arera of expertise either but it's always much the same.)

What I am saying is it is very common for farm meters to be very out of recert. Suppliers do not like it. There are fines at limits. I have seen reports of "meter in grain silo and under grain" so what can occur!

What are you after. If you ring your supplier and ask for a meter change (and they think it is needed, and I do not see why they would not) and agree to be free for half a day it will be done. These old meters are unlikely to overread if that is what you are thinking!

Better than the modern ones (all of them not just smart BTW), which need changing every ten years because they are cheap. (and no one recertifies meter anymore, cheaper to buy a new one unfortunatly).

If you argue well to your supplier you may get a 2 hour appointment. But that is a 2 hour arrival window, not job done in it! Only time I have every seen something better is lights on an airport landing strip, and a very organised window was done for that!
  • michael8626
    Options
    The premises is an equestrian stud. No problems with access or turning off power.

Averaging £15 per day usage in summer is crazy.

It’s 35 years old, should numbers move slightly if meter is gently tapped?

Working properly or not surely in breach of regulations?
  • Carrot007
    Options
    The premises is an equestrian stud. No problems with access or turning off power.

Averaging £15 per day usage in summer is crazy.

It’s 35 years old, should numbers move slightly if meter is gently tapped?

Working properly or not surely in breach of regulations?

Moving digits does sounds dodgy.

Info in £ is very unhelpful however and you supplier would glare over just like me.

Are you saying they are refusing to change the meter? I am unsure what is going on and what you want. (your supplier may be too if you said the same things to them).

1. Ask them if it is due for a chage (it seems likely, issues do occur in data so ask them to ask the mop direcly, and hope for someone with a clue (they will not talk to you)).

2. If you think it is dodgy then ask for a check to be done. This is either second meter for a while or a live check (depends on usage and other things). And is chargable if it turns out you are wrong.

3. 35 years old means nothing! On the whole older meters are better made. Also the meter appears to have been made in 75 per the serial.
  • michael8626
    Options
    It’s currently using about 80kwh per day. I cannot see what is using this volume.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s currently using about 80kwh per day. I cannot see what is using this volume.

3kW immersion heater stuck on 24 hours a day would be about that?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Switch all the circuits off and see what stops working? It's likely to be some form of heating or floodlights.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback