MSE News: Automatic compo scheme for broadband and landline customers is propoposed

Options
Broadband and landline customers could pocket up to £185m in compensation payouts each year under new Ofcom proposals...
Read the full story:
'Automatic compensation scheme for broadband and landline customers is proposed by Ofcom '
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Surely this will simply give the suppliers justification to increase their prices.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Providers have already proposed increasing their prices to provide a 'fund' for paying out compensation.

Be clear that compensating customers will not hit company profits, it will be paid for by customers who have no faults or errors.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In the long term, hopefully this will give companies a good reason to stick to dates they promise and not mess customers about.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The engineers I talk to barely make it home by 10pm, and have to get up before 6am to make the 8am first appointment.

It's not helped by the morons in the call centres, who give garbled descriptions of what the job is.

I like to think that this is a Karmic cycle, the wheel of suffering, from which there is no escape. Only when you achieve enlightenment, and have a back up broadband, such as I do, with BT Infinity One 45GB, AND Virgin Media VIVID 200, are you free from the eternal torment that is the lack of broadband.

I was without broadband, for about four weeks, with Tiscali, and the tongue lashing from the girl tenant was relentless. :eek:
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 March 2017 at 7:45PM
    Options
    Girl tenant? Daughter? Wife? Lodger ?

Bbcnews:

£10 a day after 2 days
    £6 a day - lack of new service
    £30 missed appointment
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there no end to government 'help' ? They've already helped us to pay more for line/broadband by insisting on a combined fee and are due to help those on fixes pay more for power, by insisting that Standard tariffs must be no more than 6% more expensive. (Of course fix tariffs will go up and standard ones won't godown.)
  • iamclaire
    Options
    Below is a a run down of how I have been treated by Talk Talk since my Broadband went down. I was without internet for 4 weeks by the way!

The upshot is they have sent me several emails since not answering any of my points below until I threatened them with social media and have now agreed to give me a measly £15.24 off my bill! I also asked them for the name of the corporation owner so I could write to them!

Ofgem have just said that I should be getting £10 a day back for poor service!

Sorry it's so long but I'm beyond frustrated!

iamclaire

My customer service number is 1008209981 and I am writing to complain about Talk Talks woeful customer service towards me for the past 4 weeks. I have made 11 phone calls to Talk Talk since 14th February 2017. Often these calls have lasted from 30 mins to an hour in length the longest was for 1 hour 30 mins. I am dealing with an Indian call centre and each time I have been given 3 different people to deal with. NONE of them have known what my complaint was or anything about my service at all. I have had to explain every time I have phoned what my complaint is. Why am I explaining surely they would know?

Below is a list of how I have been dealt with for the last 4 weeks.

1) I rang because my router was showing no internet. I was eventually given a fault advisor who took me through the various steps. They said my internet would be back on in 24 hours.

2) Same as above but this time to watch it for a few days.

3) A few days later no internet but the same procedure followed meaning I have now had my router checked 3 times. Finally they book me a Talk Talk engineer

4) Engineer arrives and says that the router is faulty and out of date to the call centre in India. He says they need to book me a Outreach engineer. I was not in so he asked my partner to get me to call when I got back.

5) I called and gave my permission for an outreach engineer. They said they would call back and let me know a date.

6)Days later absolutely no correspondence from anyone from Talk Talk

7) I call again and ask them to send engineer yet again explaining the problem to them as they don't know what my problem is. I was at work as I have already spent £58 on mobile phone charges to the 02 company as I do not own a phone so phoned from work and they said I have to be at home so they can do step 1) above again even though this has been done twice and I have had an engineer out saying I have a faulty router. I just wanted to book an outreach engineer appointment. I am on the phone for 30 mins and they cut me off.

8)I call again a couple of days later as by now my anger is too much to bear and ask for an engineer to come out but I have to go through the whole procedure of explaining my problem to them again. They do not understand and try to repeat step 1)

9)By this time I am suffering from anxiety so asked my partner Dave Armstrong to help me deal with the stress of calling Talk Talk. We bought a phone so the landline call would be cheaper. He called them and after an hour still repeating step one managed to get a response about booking an outreach engineer.

10)Talk Talk then called back with a appointment for an engineer. YIPEE!! They don't work on Saturday so my partner took a day off work which cost £120 to be told by the outreach engineer that our router is faulty and out of date and needs replacing.

11)My partner phoned and then asked if we could have a cheaper deal like all new customers were getting and maybe that would provide us with an up to date router. They put us on the new deal which is for £27 per month I have been charged for £45 per month. However the set up fee in £50. Of course it is! We managed to get put on the new deal after much persuasion and at least 45mins on the phone.

However I am now out of pocket by £58 in phone calls to 02. £120 for a day off work and £11 to Talk Talk for phoning Talk Talk to sort out my internet. Why should I be paying?!... I have worked out my bill is going to cost £60 + £50 set up fee.

12)My partner phones to ask if I can pay all of the extra money on 1st April. He's put through to 3 people in a call centre in India for this and then he's cut off.

13)He's on the phone for a hour to ask that I pay this extortionate amount of money on the 1st of April as I have incurred so many charges. There's no apology or offer of compensation for my stress and time spent trying to sort out no internet with you.

It would have been cheaper for me to pay your exit fee than what charges I have incurred in 4 weeks!

I intend to go to the ombudsman Twitter Facebook Money Saving Expert and Watchdog with my complaint and the way I have been treated.

Claire
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This automatic compensation scheme has flaws. If the broadband is down due to a fault on the cable, then it's a carrier (Openreach in this case) problem, but the ISP has to compensate. OFCOM are not proposing that the carrier has to compensate the ISP in the same way that the ISP has to compensate the customer.

OFCOM is instead proposing that ISPs renegotiate contracts with Openreach. If the ISP is one of the big players they probably have enough leverage to get this done, smaller ISPs less so. Problem is OFCOM only seem interested in the average punter that bundles everything together (the consultation barely considers those that get their voice service and broadband service from different suppliers), and consequently only interested in customers of the big ISPs that also do voice, TV, kitchen sink etc.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This automatic compensation scheme has flaws. If the broadband is down due to a fault on the cable, then it's a carrier (Openreach in this case) problem, but the ISP has to compensate. OFCOM are not proposing that the carrier has to compensate the ISP in the same way that the ISP has to compensate the customer.
    As a consumer I don't care who causes the problem, I just want it to work! Surely its for the ISP to take Openreach to court if they are that bothered, at the moment its down to the consumer.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March 2017 at 2:23PM
    Options
    iamclaire wrote: »
    ... I was at work as I have already spent £58 on mobile phone charges to the 02 company as I do not own a phone so phoned from work. ...

... However I am now out of pocket by £58 in phone calls to 02. ...
    Given the fact that most mobile providers offer unlimited calls for around £20 per month, including on pay-as-you-go, how are you managing to spend £58 on phone calls?

Are you using the official 03 number or have you been caught out by a premium rate "call connection service" call-forwarding scam website? These websites promote premium rate 084, 087 or 09 numbers for contacting organisations but all they do is simply forward calls and pocket a large profit for doing so.

Are you on one of the very old mobile phone tariffs where you pay a high per minute rate for every call you make? If so, your phone provider is ripping you off. Nowadays, there are much better value deals with hundreds of inclusive minutes and texts per month, even on-pay-as-you-go, for very little money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure