MSE News: Large electronic devices banned from cabins on some UK-bound flights

Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Airline passengers flying to the UK from six countries will no longer be able to carry laptops in their cabin luggage...
Read the full story:
'Large electronic devices banned from cabins on some UK-bound flights - what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • liviboyliviboy Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This is just nonsense.

If the UK and USA don't trust the passenger search systems in place in these countries then why do they think putting these "bombs" in the hold of the aircraft will be any safer?

All it would take is a little altitude-switch, an old-school timer or even just a bluetooth connection to the phone in the main cabin!

This is just an inconvenience to passengers and not anything to do with safety or security...the exact same as the 100ml liquid rule...you can still take 1l of liquids through (and I have carried 2 coke bottles through security in 5 100ml bottles each and then poured them back into the empty coke bottles once through security...so how exactly does it make us safer?)
  • joncombejoncombe Forumite
    320 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    liviboy wrote: »
    This is just nonsense.

This is just an inconvenience to passengers and not anything to do with safety or security

It could also lead to additional expense. Let's say you are booked on a hand luggage only fare and you want to take your camera with you. Now you can't take it in hand luggage so you have to go back and amend your existing booking to include hold luggage, at additional expense (and inconveniance as you now have to wait for your luggage).

Then there is the secondary issue that cameras and other high value goods are generally not covered by insurance when in hold luggage and there is a good chance they will be damaged (or stolen) due to the way hold luggage often gets thrown around.
  • liviboyliviboy Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    joncombe wrote: »
    It could also lead to additional expense. Let's say you are booked on a hand luggage only fare and you want to take your camera with you. Now you can't take it in hand luggage so you have to go back and amend your existing booking to include hold luggage, at additional expense (and inconveniance as you now have to wait for your luggage).

Then there is the secondary issue that cameras and other high value goods are generally not covered by insurance when in hold luggage and there is a good chance they will be damaged (or stolen) due to the way hold luggage often gets thrown around.

One would assume that for the initial period at least, hand luggage only fares will be allowed to check bags in for free (as they won't have any hand luggage so it's not like getting a checked bag for free)...

And Ministers today said they would be writing to insurers to tell them they MUST cover electrical goods in the hold (will wait and see how that one pans out...excesses will rocket up to £800 haha!)
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even my 8 inch Lenovo Yoga tablet is banned.

Guess what, that's what I usually use to show people my e-ticket on!

It's a dilemma, terrorist attacks have shut down tourism to Tunisia and Egypt. If passengers stop flying with Middle Eastern airlines, it's the same thing.

A few months ago, I heard there was a ridiculously cheap business class fare to the far east, if you were willing to transfer in the Middle East, and change planes four times.

Hmm, how much does £1million life insurance cost?

Can I buy insurance for people who annoy me, and recommend the cheap tickets to them? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES