MSE News: Pensions Minister: 'no straws to clutch to' for WASPI campaigners

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would like to suggest ...

That looks more like pearl-clutching than straw-clutching.

Could you not have at least formatted it before submitting that screed?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    but the money already in the pension scheme has not been adversely affected.

So the scrapping of dividend tax relief I've already mentioned doesn't affect money already in a scheme?
  • miller
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    As nearly everyone saving into a pension nowadays will be putting their money into defined contribution pensions, and more specifically into unit-linked pension funds, the solvency of the pension provider is irrelevant.

You could still end up in the hands of the FSCS, so it's not entirely irrelevant.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the scrapping of dividend tax relief I've already mentioned doesn't affect money already in a scheme?

dividend allowance has nothing to do with pensions. pensions are tax free.
    You could still end up in the hands of the FSCS, so it's not entirely irrelevant.

Anything is possible but FSCS protection on retail pensions (apart from SIPPs) is 100 % of the value. In reality, unit linked pension funds are highly unlikely to end up with the FSCS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • miller
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    dividend allowance has nothing to do with pensions. pensions are tax free.

I didn't say dividend allowance. I said dividend tax relief.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10798785/True-cost-of-Labours-pension-tax-raid-and-others-since-Seventies.html

Pensions have future political risk(s) whatever flavour they are.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Its not heartbreaking. Half the population missed out on that sort of amount just by being born male rather than female.
    And many people will miss out on even more just by having had the temerity to be born in the 1970s or 80s (or worse still, later).
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    miller wrote: »

Under the 2016/17 changes to dividend tax, dividend tax relief for pensions has been restored, sort of. Though by adding an additional tax onto non-pension dividends rather than giving a tax credit to pension dividends.

What this illustrates is that the government constantly changes the tax rules, and this is going to affect you whether you put money into a pension or keep it in your own hands.

You could of course spend every penny of your income on the grounds that if you spend it the government can't tax it. If you are happy to spend your life in poverty once you are unable to work. Most of us on this forum would regard that as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

When they changed the dividend tax rules in 1997 the government took a larger slice of the capital growth a pension fund accumulates. This is not the same thing as raiding the pension fund itself, although I'll admit to referring to Brown's tax grab as a "raid" when it's suited me.

The likelihood of the government changing the tax rules may change my choice of the tax wrapper I use to save for retirement, but it does not affect my decision to save for retirement.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I'm a woman, born in 1956, and despair at the antics of WASPI.
    As a 1954 woman, I couldn't agree more with you! WASPI do not speak for me.

FaerieQueen must be a parody account, surely?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    As a 1954 woman, I couldn't agree more with you! WASPI do not speak for me.

FaerieQueen must be a parody account, surely?

A Martin Lewis alter ego?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport