MSE News: Pensions Minister: 'no straws to clutch to' for WASPI campaigners

Options

Comments

• Mortgagefreeman
    Options
    Here is the official statement WASPI are issuing in response to the Labour leaked manifesto. Please feel free to use these words if you are asked to comment and also feel free to share them with your groups and more widely.

“We welcome the Labour party’s commitment to WASPI women and their understanding that we deserve both recognition for the injustice we have suffered and some kind of compensation.

“However, we feel that this commitment does not go far enough.

“Our campaign is about fairness and justice for all women, regardless of their background and financial situation. We want greater recognition of the mismanagement of the change and would like to see the Labour party implement a ‘bridging’ pension to provide an income from age 60 until State Pension Age.

“Around 3.5 million women are affected, we must fight this injustice together.”

WASPI welcome comments but please remain polite and respect the views of others. Abusive comments will be deleted. When the other manifestos are published there will be a response from WASPI to those too. Thank you

Please Sir, can I have some more?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Our campaign is about fairness and justice for all women, regardless of their background and financial situation.
    ^^^^ From the WASPI statement in post #92.

"Fairness for all women" would be to have the same state pension age as a man - that's (part of) the equality we fought for.

Women can't cherry-pick what bits of 'equality' suits them.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    [STRIKE]Women[/STRIKE] WASPI can't cherry-pick what bits of 'equality' suits them.

(Quote corrected)

Why not?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    ^^^^ From the WASPI statement in post #92.

"Fairness for all women" would be to have the same state pension age as a man - that's (part of) the equality we fought for.
    Not even that. Men still die two years younger on average and that injustice will remain even when state pension ages are equalised. Being dead is a rather worse outcome than living on working age benefits for a couple of years.
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    (Quote corrected)

Why not?

Because it destroys any claim to actually want equality. A campaign based on a banner of "fairness" is going to lose its effectiveness when it's shown to actively dislike fairness.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options
    Because it destroys any claim to actually want equality. A campaign based on a banner of "fairness" is going to lose its effectiveness when it's shown to actively dislike fairness.

Think you missed the irony/ sarcasm there.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Options

It was a rhetorical question :)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,918 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2017 at 11:19PM
    Options
    They are still at it and have the support of Wee Jimmy and Smug Agnes http://www.insidemoray.com/warm-welcome-to-moray-as-first-minister-calls-in/
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst I was royally ticked off when i discovered (12 months before retirement at 60 should have happened) that I had to work an extra 2.5 years *faint*

Even more ticked off when I found out that a colleague born a few short months before me only had an extra 11 months to work! How it was worked out is beyond me but it happened!

I am now a happily retired woman who has 'got over it'.

C'mon girls - life really is too short!
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Magnolia wrote: »
    Whilst I was royally ticked off when i discovered (12 months before retirement at 60 should have happened) that I had to work an extra 2.5 years *faint*

Even more ticked off when I found out that a colleague born a few short months before me only had an extra 11 months to work! How it was worked out is beyond me but it happened!

I am now a happily retired woman who has 'got over it'.

C'mon girls - life really is too short!

That's because you get your pension now so you're not bothered about other people. Some of us are still waiting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure